Why I will always stay on-site.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Good morning gang
Currently here at the Animal kingdom lodge, sitting on the balcony and experiencing an outstanding peace from nature, I hear the soft sounds of African chanting being played, it is a magical way to start my day. This is what my vacations are for. Yes I am totally aware of what is available off site at a cheaper price. Some things for me are worth the cost. So I can safely say, YES people will stay on site
akl resized.jpg
mara courtyard.jpg
morning pool.jpg

sorry for the grainy pictures, the files were too big and I had to resize them
lobby #2 resize.jpg

Last edited:

macefamily

Good for you. My family of 5 doesn't have the disposable income to accommodate Disney's veracious appetite to regain revenue in a short term grab for cash. Fortunately I live 5 miles from two state parks that offer true natural beauty. The lakes and woods were crafted by God; not by a man with a dream which turned into a money grubbing nightmare after his passing. I truly think Walt would be disgusted with what the Disney empire has turned into. Yes, I'm a hypocrite because I'm a DVC member, but I made that move mostly for my kids future for the next 38 years.

Robbiem

If you enjoy it and can afford it good for you. Everyone has to decide for themselves if paying for that experience is worth it to them or if they want to spend their money on something else.

I’ve not been to florida for a long time but I went to Tokyo I stayed at the Sheraton rather than a Disney hotel and used the money I saved to do other things. I don’t regret it to me vacations fall into two categories- ones where the hotel is a base to experience the place you are visiting and ones where you go for the experience of the hotel. I like both depending on where I’m going and what I want to do

the thing that makes me sad is when people can’t afford to do things anymore because prices have gone up too much. As a child we would visit from the UK and stay for two weeks at a moderate hotel. My parents weren’t rich (Dad was a mailman, mum worked in a store) and I know that today we would maybe have managed one trip growing up due to cost rather than every three to four years as we could do in the 90s.

Last edited:

Raxel7851

Never stayed at the AK Resort, but it’s definitely on my list of places to stay. We always stay on site. Wouldn’t want it any other way! I enjoy hypocrites trying to explain themselves.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
If you enjoy it and can afford it good for you. Everyone has to decide for themselves if paying for that experience is worth it to them or if they want to spend their money on something else.

I’ve not been to florida for a long time but I went to Tokyo I stayed at the Sheraton rather than a Disney hotel and used the money I saved to do other things. I don’t regret it to me vacations fall into two categories- ones where the hotel is a base to experience the place you are visiting and ones where you go for the experience of the hotel. I like both depending on where I’m going and what I want to do

the thing that makes me sad is when people can’t afford to do things anymore because prices have gone up too much. As a child we would visit from the UK and stay for two weeks at a moderate hotel. My parents weren’t rich (Dad was a mailman, mum worked in a store) and I know that today we would maybe have managed one trip growing up due to cost rather than every three to four years as we could do in the 90s.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I guess I made the post because here people treat those of us who stay on site as some type of idiots who are unable to really figure out why we choose to sacrifice and stay on site. That we are too dumb to know there are cheaper options, lol I figured out how to google. We carefully make the decision to do so.

Lol, I totally know the feeling, heck my home city of New York is unaffordable for most of us who grew up there. The people I know who choose on-site are not rolling in dough, most of us sacrifice plenty to do so.
I was pretty much responding to the thread that questions if any one would stay on site.
Yes they will

JIMINYCR

No one says you have to stay onsite. No one forces you to make the determination that staying onsite or off is best. If it adds to your enjoyment of your stay and you have the money to do so, then stay.
I am like you... I will always stay onsite because I see enough benefits to do so. I dont begrudge others for the choices they make in their lives so they shouldnt do that with me. I know what adds to my vacation so I save and budget for exactly what I want for my time away.
I think some people are envious that some have the opportunity to do so, so they are jealous. Others have made poor choices that affect the money they make or have to spend on vacations. So they have to make crude comments about your choices.
Enjoy every blessed moment at AK Lodge.

SteveAZee

Good morning gang
Currently here at the Animal kingdom lodge, sitting on the balcony and experiencing an outstanding peace from nature, I hear the soft sounds of African chanting being played, it is a magical way to start my day. This is what my vacations are for. Yes I am totally aware of what is available off site at a cheaper price. Some things for me are worth the cost. So I can safely say, YES people will stay on siteView attachment 584895View attachment 584896View attachment 584897

sorry for the grainy pictures, the files were too big and I had to resize themView attachment 584898
Have a great time!

I still haven't figured out what, exactly, is at the root of those who are feeling priced out of Disney. On the one hand, there's a solution of 'go less often' and on the other is 'don't go', and I suspect the frustration by most people is that they're feeling like the value has diminished while the prices go up, so they don't like the 'don't go' solution... that it's unfair to them to have to even consider it. There's also something in all of it about the 'haves' and 'have nots' and people finding themselves in the latter category, especially as wage gaps have increased and cost of things like cars and food and housing have skyrocketed lately. The only channel for that frustration if to focus it on those who can afford to pay, who seem to be causing the hikes in costs of everything across the board.

Disney used to feel egalitarian. Now it doesn't. Not saying they were, but felt true.

I guess I wonder if those who are angered by this situation... if they suddenly inherited a large wad of cash if they'd change their minds about their 'don't go' solution and feel OK about suddenly being a 'have'.

I'll stay on site. I'm buying back in to DVC after a many year absence... buying from a third party rather than directly from Disney because the perks difference doesn't add up for me... so a calculated financial decision. I've taken into account the costs over time, the number of trips I'll take, etc... so worth it rather than rent points or pay the cost to Disney of a standard room or three. Also, with dining prices going up and quality going down, it's more cost effective to have a kitchen to prepare meals and eat in the room (I like to cook, as does my son-in-law). Also, my kids and their friends/partners that I travel with are concerned about costs, so this whole process lets them travel cheaply... next stay will be around $2500/pp for 10 days, which is 'all in' for flights, park tickets, food, lodging at Old Key West, car rental, occasional meals out, etc. and we save on things like parking fees (DVC), DME gone, and can get to the supermarket for food in the room. We'll have to see about budgeting for G+ and IAS once the need and numbers are revealed.

The reason for my post: those who think we're uninformed or looney or whatever for staying on property... I wanted to give an example of how, for me, I feel I can afford the trip and feel good about the expense and still stay in the Disney bubble. YMMV.

The Mrs

My favorite part of a Disney trip is staying at a Disney resort, so I'd never even consider not staying on site. Without being able to walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, or take the boat to Magic Kingdom, the experience would lose so much that I wouldn't even bother, to be honest. We have the Polynesian and Boardwalk booked for February but after having to cancel several trips due to the pandemic I'm beginning to doubt that trip will happen either. I can't imagine getting on a plane any time soon. It looks like a miserable experience right now.

WDWmazprty

I've done both and staying on site is sooooo much better. If nothing else it adds to the experience...even when you go back to your room you never leave Disney. Plus certain perks and touches make the experience better when you stay on site. It's just not the same when you stay outside the parks.

The Mrs

Disney used to feel egalitarian.
Your post made some good points. I gave it a thumbs up but wanted to say that it never felt egalitarian to me. My first trips as a kid were when you needed a ticket book to do most of the attractions. My family always had the least expensive ticket book. We spent a lot of time at Swiss Family Treehouse and Hall of Presidents.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Yes I am totally aware of what is available off site at a cheaper price. Some things for me are worth the cost. So I can safely say, YES people will stay on site

Define "worth the cost". I'm all for having an enjoyable vacation. And staying in a nice place. If I'm getting AKL, or BC, or Poly at a "reasonable for Disney rate" - I'm all for it. If the week I want to book has AKL at $900 a night - I'll pass. Especially if I can get Bonnet Creek or 4S for less money. I can still visit the resorts. Can even have a cup of coffee in the morning and lookout over the Savannah without having to stay there.

SteveAZee

Yes, me too
Your post made some good points. I gave it a thumbs up but wanted to say that it never felt egalitarian to me. My first trips as a kid were when you needed a ticket book to do most of the attractions. My family always had the least expensive ticket book. We spent a lot of time at Swiss Family Treehouse and Hall of Presidents.
Yes, me too. First trip in '73 as a thirteen year old with dad complaining about the costs of everything. I made the egalitarian comment because I've heard that used often in this board, saying Disney had strayed from it.

LovePop

I think it really depends on people. Even back in the golden days when Disney offered free dining, DME, paper fastpass, free parking at hotels, free package delivery, free dinner reservations (no $10pp penalty for no show), less crowded hotels, etc, etc, there were people who stayed offsite. And the offsite hotels aren't always cheaper either; Four Seasons is often more expensive than GF. People stay offsite because they prefer their offsite hotel for whatever reason.

For me, Disney hotels are always better. One big reason: I suck at driving and avoid it at all costs on vacation. Another big reason: I love Disney transportation. I get car sick easily, but not on Disney transportation, for some reason. So being on buses, boats, etc are themselves a fun ride for me that an uber ride just doesn't cut it, even though it's faster and more comfortable. I also like the feeling of "no cost"!

And then, the Disney decorations in the hotels (including the ones that aren't Disney specifically, such as the giant bowling pins at Pop) speak to my heart. It's just awesome every time I see it. The same is true with other Disney hotels. It may or may not be more expensive than offsite (though it mostly is), but it's superior from the inside out. I mean, the air itself is sweeter in a Disney World hotel. I'm not kidding.

And then, you can trust Disney more. For example, at the Universal Cabana Bay hotel, the reviews for the past month has been reporting that guests have to wait in line 4 hours to check in, due to lack of staff. Yes, FOUR HOURS just for check in! That does not happen in Disney. Why, you just go straight to your room with your magical magic band, something no other hotel possesses.

AKL is beautiful and peaceful. There's something magically African about it that I doubt you can find a hotel in Africa that's as good, where you can look out your 4 star hotel balcony at exotic animals walking around. (Plus it's much cheaper and easier to stay at AKL than go to Africa).

For me, every moment I'm in an offsite hotel, I feel like I'm missing out on something. But not everyone feels that way. Some prefer the Four Seasons to GF because FS is a 5 star hotel whereas GF is only 4.5. I totally get that. But for me, I will always choose GF over FS. In fact, for the same money, I will always choose Pop over Four Seasons. I can't help it, Pop (or any other Disney hotel) feels more magical, and magical is more important to me than fancy.

All the stuff Disney has taken away, such as the DME, are superficial, and mostly has to do with money rather than the intrinsic attractiveness of WDW. Like makeup on a beautiful girl. Makeup helps, sure, but she can look stunning without it.

Postscript: I will never stay at the Star Wars hotel for 3K/night. Not even if I win the lottery. That's just too weird.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom