Why I may not go again

James.Green

We have decided to cut back on our trips. Price increases and current park conditions are a part of it, but we also just want to do other things. For the price of a typical trip to Disney (for us), we can take a “once in a lifetime” trip to Europe, or save money and go someplace more local.

With the decreased “magic” in the parks, their nostalgic hold has lessened on us drastically. We will still go, but maybe every 3-5 years instead of every year.

MickeyLuv'r

Here’s a crazy idea….. why not have certain weeks out of the year where they dramatically raise prices and lower attendance. Come up with a marketing angle on it. Eliminate genie+, all standby lines. No private tours. Think triple cost, 1/3 the max crowd.
I think they have already experimented with this idea to some extent. I mean not exactly, but they have long experimented with some pretty drastic hotel fluctuations, but you had to go beyond rack rates to see it.

Like one week the hotel would be value pricing+a significant discount/offer deal. Then the very next week would be a higher price season and no discount pricing.

Some of my WDW visits straddled two weeks like this, often with a split stay (often offsite part of the time).

Back then though, hotel pricing seasons were more solid. Ticket prices were also fixed.

We often saw the higher priced days = lower crowds. The last days of a low price season was often more crowded that the first week of a higher priced season.

JoeT63

We just got back last night after a great week...and our first visit since 2018. It was a big family trip: 11 of us (8 adults and 3 kids) with a bunch of first-timers. The best news - there is still magic to be found. This isn't the forum for a trip report, but we had a great time and there is still magic. I really miss Magical Express, and a few other things, and if there's one thing I wish they'd do away with it's Genie+/Lightning Lane. Every attraction should be stand-by only. The queue's would move so much faster. Queue's would be smaller overall, since the bigger attractions would require people to commit to a ride and stand there to wait for it. And it's just so frustrating to stand in one spot for many minutes while they mass-board the Lightning Lane guests. Sadly, when they went to a pay-system I can't imagine that stand-by only will happen anytime soon.

Ok, one trip-report item: omigosh is Guardians: Cosmic Rewind incredible. Overall, probably the best attraction in the world. It just has to be. So much fun!

Married5Times

Cosmic Rewind incredible. Overall, probably the best attraction in the world. It just has to be
did you actually ride Guardians? Or did you go by multiple people in your group reporting back with stellar reviews?

I wish they'd do away with it's Genie+/Lightning Lane. Every attraction should be stand-by only. The queue's would move so much faster.

And this looks like you didn't purchase Genie(or did you buy it and just have a very unfavorable opinion?). And if you didn't buy it did you get extra lucky to land a standby group???

JoeT63

did you actually ride Guardians? Or did you go by multiple people in your group reporting back with stellar reviews?

And this looks like you didn't purchase Genie(or did you buy it and just have a very unfavorable opinion?). And if you didn't buy it did you get extra lucky to land a standby group???

I rode Guardians three times, actually. Truly amazing. We were able to get boarding passes twice, and I got to ride one additional time as part of a baby-swap situation.

We tried Genie+ one day and it helped on one ride. So we paid $15/person to go thru the Lightning Lane....once. So I'm not too thrilled with it, but that really isn't my point regarding line-skip services. I don't think they should exist at all, because they negatively affect the stand-by lanes so much. And if Genie/Lightning/FastPass DIDN'T exist, then all lines would move far more smoothly. If more people had to stand in a queue for the E-ticket attractions then all other lines would have fewer people in them. And there wouldn't be so much standing in one place while they let the line-skippers go thru. To quote Bull Durham, stand-by is better because it's far more democratic. Line-skipping is fascist. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, see the movie. :) )

Chi84

Premium Member
I rode Guardians three times, actually. Truly amazing. We were able to get boarding passes twice, and I got to ride one additional time as part of a baby-swap situation.

We tried Genie+ one day and it helped on one ride. So we paid $15/person to go thru the Lightning Lane....once. So I'm not too thrilled with it, but that really isn't my point regarding line-skip services. I don't think they should exist at all, because they negatively affect the stand-by lanes so much. And if Genie/Lightning/FastPass DIDN'T exist, then all lines would move far more smoothly. If more people had to stand in a queue for the E-ticket attractions then all other lines would have fewer people in them. And there wouldn't be so much standing in one place while they let the line-skippers go thru. To quote Bull Durham, stand-by is better because it's far more democratic. Line-skipping is fascist. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, see the movie. :) )
As I’ve said before, Disney markets itself to multi-generational families, many of which have older members who find it difficult if not impossible to stand in long lines all day. (Not talking about actual disabilities, just physical limitations that go hand-in-hand with age.) Line skip systems provide a good option for them to enjoy the rides along with the rest of the family.

In many cases, it’s the older generation paying for the ridiculously expensive WDW vacation and add-ons like Polar Patios, dessert parties, etc. I don’t see Disney adopting a system that’s going to make it harder on them. My prediction is there will always be some type of line skip system. But who knows.

JoeT63

As I’ve said before, Disney markets itself to multi-generational families, many of which have older members who find it difficult if not impossible to stand in long lines all day. (Not talking about actual disabilities, just physical limitations that go hand-in-hand with age.) Line skip systems provide a good option for them to enjoy the rides along with the rest of the family.

In many cases, it’s the older generation paying for the ridiculously expensive WDW vacation and add-ons like Polar Patios, dessert parties, etc. I don’t see Disney adopting a system that’s going to make it harder on them. My prediction is there will always be some type of line skip system. But who knows.
Good point, and I'm not far from being old enough for that target market! Ha!

I have no problem with some sort of accommodation for those with disabilities, or for special-needs kids. To me, that's something different.

Chi84

Premium Member
Good point, and I'm not far from being old enough for that target market! Ha!

I have no problem with some sort of accommodation for those with disabilities, or for special-needs kids. To me, that's something different.
There will always be accommodations for disabilities. I’m just talking about people who - for various reasons - find it harder to stand in long lines than those younger or in better physical shape. Line skip systems help a great deal under those circumstances.

Married5Times

To quote Bull Durham, stand-by is better because it's far more democratic. Line-skipping is fascist.
OMG YES,............Oustanding placement!

you happen to come across one who can recite perhaps 70% of Bull Durham dialogue as the movie plays (There are about 45 to 50 movies that I know dialogue way, way more than anybody should know and that just happens to be one of them)

Lilofan

There are certain groups in many companies that dream up ways to earn more income for the company ( ie , bye bye fast pass , hello Genie/Lightning ).

GustoGummi

I rode CR on Thurs, it's in my opinion the best EPCOT attraction in over 3 decades (which I suppose isn't saying much). My main issue with the ride is that it makes the rest of the park feel even more outdated than it did before.

dreday3

I thought of this thread yesterday (well, a mish-mash of a few threads).

Going to WDW next year and looking forward to it.

Finally decided on and booked a cruise on Celebrity Apex!!! So excited. Went over to some message boards, joined some groups to read all about the ship, etc. and everyone will be happy to know...the cruise boards/groups are just as grumpy and mad about cruising as everyone is about WDW! 😂

Chi84

Premium Member
I thought of this thread yesterday (well, a mish-mash of a few threads).

Going to WDW next year and looking forward to it.

Finally decided on and booked a cruise on Celebrity Apex!!! So excited. Went over to some message boards, joined some groups to read all about the ship, etc. and everyone will be happy to know...the cruise boards/groups are just as grumpy and mad about cruising as everyone is about WDW! 😂
This is hilarious. After our late April WDW trip we decided to look into cruising on either DCL or with Royal Caribbean. It would replace our next WDW trip - no one was happy with Genie+ and we thought a cruise might actually work better with the grandkids being so young. I had the exact same experience with boards devoted to Royal Caribbean.

dreday3

This is hilarious. After our late April WDW trip we decided to look into cruising on either DCL or with Royal Caribbean. It would replace our next WDW trip - no one was happy with Genie+ and we thought a cruise might actually work better with the grandkids being so young. I had the exact same experience with boards devoted to Royal Caribbean.

This is our first cruise with Celebrity (together it's only our second cruise!) so I'm looking at what we are paying for next year's Disney trip vs what we will be paying for the cruise on Apex (almost brand new), sunset verandah, premium drink package plus $300 onboard credits each and I'm like - cruising is a BARGAIN! 😂

We are blissfully new and unaware of whatever Celebrity "used to be" so we are very looking forward to this cruise.

I think people are just unhappy with travel in general right now due to price increases but cuts all around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom