Why don’t we have something like “Great Moments with Walt Disney”?

mbroschak

Original Poster
Walt has been gone for over fifty years and although I appreciate a new Walt statue coming to Epcot, why don’t we have an animatronic show similar to great moments with Mr. Lincoln for our beloved Walt?
The newest capabilities for face animatronics being developed at Garner Holt are astounding, so it could be done in a way to be respectful and to really bring to life the man who has brought millions of us our happy place...

Cmdr_Crimson

Walt has been gone for over fifty years and although I appreciate a new Walt statue coming to Epcot, why don’t we have an animatronic show similar to great moments with Mr. Lincoln for our beloved Walt?
The newest capabilities for face animatronics being developed at Garner Holt are astounding, so it could be done in a way to be respectful and to really bring to life the man who has brought millions of us our happy place...
This person brings up said case...

ppete1975

AS much as I would love it, especially if it was done like the classic shows (he would be in his office and introduce us to a ride or attraction), it was always my understanding that he or the family were against it (might not be true though)

I think it would be amazing if they did the black box style ride that would change twice a year etc, and he would introduce us to the ride from his office. "Well hello there, I didn't see you come in. Lately our imaginers have been working hard to bring you into the world of one of our classic movies, Follow Tod and Copper as they play in the forest before embarking on an adventure in the Fox and the Hound"

yensid67

I think this would be a wonderful idea...to bring Uncle Walt to life via an animatronic. The family cannot be to objective to it since there is a wax Walt Disney in Madame Tussauds. I could see Animatronic Walt atop the train station platform welcoming the guests and by reciting the opening day speech. THAT could be an amazing start to your day! Why not have a section of LIFE SIZED house with his backyard train that could be an attraction in itself somehow. Have to EXACT layout of the track and the famous Barn(that is at home in Griffith Park) The house could be a walk-through with Walt's dog laying on the floor in front of the fireplace while Walt sits in a easy chair, reading the paper, while Lillian Disney is in the kitchen cooking dinner...complete with smells and other effects for realism. It could be tastefully done that everyone would be proud and on board with a project such as this!

Cmdr_Crimson

I think if they want to promote Walt Disney's life...I would hope they would put it in Disney Springs or some other public place that you wouldn't have to buy a park ticket to experience it!

Disney should buy this back from The Amature Athletic Union and return it back to it's glory for the 50th anniversary for the resort...
Walt%20Disney%20World%20Preview%20Center%20%282%29.jpg
Image result for wdw preview center

yensid67

Disney should buy this back from The Amature Athletic Union and return it back to it's glory for the 50th anniversary for the resort...
Walt%20Disney%20World%20Preview%20Center%20%282%29.jpg
Image result for wdw preview center
Yes I remember this as the PREVIEW CENTER that they built for the locals, to showcase what Disney World would look
like. I am surprised this building has lasted this long!

Idea for the building: As Guest travel down Hotel Plaza Blvd, you would see a sign that says. "Animation-->" Upon parking you enter a redesigned, reimagined area to resemble the 'lobby area' at the Walt Disney Studios. You will be greeted by a PAGE that will direct you to check in and have a light snack, all the while you would see 'imagineers' in 50's attire walking back and forth...kind of a flash back in time. These imagineers can take on the personas of the main role players that shaped Walt Disney World in its early days. As your PAGE announces that Mr. Disney will see you now...you walk into Walt's office, a desk chair is turned away from you. The PAGE tells you to have a seat, you sit and get comfortable with excitement. The phone rings, the chair turns to reveal Walt Disney. He tell you he will be right with you after this phone call. Walt answer's, why it's Lillian, his wife, calling to find out what he wants for dinner and what time he will be home. Walt's dog can be heard in the background, barking. Walt tells her he loves her and hangs up. Now he starts to talk to you...

JustAFan

I would love to see Walt in as much live form as we could get and it seems an AA would be the closest to that. A few things to consider:

Where? Jack (DSNY video above) suggests Carousel of Progress. I do think a Walt AA would have to be in a show, not just out in the park. His brief comments would get old and may even become a laughingstock if you passed by him 20 times a day, say in the plaza in front of the castle. If it were an attraction you purposefully visited, that would be more special.

The construction of the AA. You really do not want to mess this one up. Get it right. The look, his mannerisms, attire, face, etc.

But most of all, his family's concerns should be foremost. If they absolutely do not want his likeness in AA form, that should be respected, at least while they are alive. That said, it would be a nice honor to the man that made AA technology so popular to be immortalized in said technology.

JIMINYCR

It would be a popular site, especially highlighting how he came up from nothing and overcame his business failures to eventually build an empire. I think many guests unfortunately are clueless on the entire Disney story.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What's the ROI and merch potential of that? :( That's the only thing that matters anymore.

"One Man's Dream" is about as close as we're going to get, for as long as they decide to keep it around. I can be a moving experience when you let your imagination loose while walking through it, thinking about what may have happened with or what was created with some of the artifacts in there.

Cmdr_Crimson

What's the ROI and merch potential of that? :( That's the only thing that matters anymore.

"One Man's Dream" is about as close as we're going to get, for as long as they decide to keep it around. I can be a moving experience when you let your imagination loose while walking through it, thinking about what may have happened with or what was created with some of the artifacts in there.
If they really cared they could just play the OMD film rather than showcase 10 min trailers for upcoming films...I do hope they consiser moving the trailers into the Sounds dangerous theater after the Mickey Shorts run through like they did when the first Maleficent film was being shown..

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If they really cared they could just play the OMD film rather than showcase 10 min trailers for upcoming films...I do hope they consiser moving the trailers into the Sounds dangerous theater after the Mickey Shorts run through like they did when the first Maleficent film was being shown..

It's criminal that movie trailers play instead of the OMD film.

FettFan

Nothing quite screams "We're totally NOT an evil corporation!" than building a series of robot clones of your founder.
cbweyland.gif
BISHOP.jpg

graphite1326

I would love to see Walt in as much live form as we could get and it seems an AA would be the closest to that. A few things to consider:

Where? Jack (DSNY video above) suggests Carousel of Progress. I do think a Walt AA would have to be in a show, not just out in the park. His brief comments would get old and may even become a laughingstock if you passed by him 20 times a day, say in the plaza in front of the castle. If it were an attraction you purposefully visited, that would be more special.

The construction of the AA. You really do not want to mess this one up. Get it right. The look, his mannerisms, attire, face, etc.

But most of all, his family's concerns should be foremost. If they absolutely do not want his likeness in AA form, that should be respected, at least while they are alive. That said, it would be a nice honor to the man that made AA technology so popular to be immortalized in said technology.
How about this? The first station at CoP is nothing more than a stage/curtain and an announcement. Why not have an AA of Walt giving the pre-show announcement. Maybe a little more elaborate. If you are old enough to remember the TV show, he was very good at this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom