Why doesn't WDW put extinct rides in Disney Springs or Boardwalk?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I am not a big fan of a 5th gate that would have extinct attractions. I know us fanboys bring that up as an idea but it isn't as practical as you think. Of course I would love it, as would many on here, but there would be nothing new to see and for most people it wouldn't have people flocking to return to it.

That being said, why have they never put stuff like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride or Snow White in one of Disney Springs or Boardwalk? There seems like there would be lots of room to do this. They have a carousel at Disney Springs. Wouldn't this be a nice touch? With River Country getting gutted for a new resort I don't think it would hurt to have some nostalgic rides outside of the parks for the heck of it. A couple of them wouldn't hurt.

Has this idea ever been flirted with?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
They’d have to monetize it and maintain it. You’d have to build a “new” ride - meaning newer technology. It wouldn’t be the “classic” everyone remembers - It’d be a reimagined version of a classic that would have similarities

I’d rather them create some VR based attraction where you can revisit rides from the past.

eliza61nyc

I've never ridden either of those rides but one question that would need to be explored is whether or not the ride would be worth the expense. Remember you guys are living through nostalgia, would today's guest think it was just as "great" as the older crowd. I've watched the old ride videos and nothing has made me say "Wow" that's so cool. Would they still appeal to today's audience??

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I don't think you would need to charge people anything. Disney probably would, but they wouldn't need to. I think it would be a nice touch in a place like that. Surely they still have part of the ride track and cars sitting around somewhere don't they? It would be like a carnival ride, people would go on it, especially people that knew it when it was here.

DisneyJoe

That being said, why have they never put stuff like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride or Snow White in one of Disney Springs or Boardwalk? There seems like there would be lots of room to do this. They have a carousel at Disney Springs. Wouldn't this be a nice touch? With River Country getting gutted for a new resort I don't think it would hurt to have some nostalgic rides outside of the parks for the heck of it. A couple of them wouldn't hurt.
The Disney Springs carousel costs $3 and is not contained in a building, it is exposed to the weather as many carousels are.

Both Mr Toad and Snow White are dark rides, requiring a building to enclose them for the track and effects as well as the queue. As soon as you create a building, you need to add air conditioning to maintain the comfort of the guests. ADA compliance may need to be addressed with new builds.

They would also need staff, thus payroll, therefore creating more expense.

No Name

A free, high-quality ride in Disney Springs would certainly draw more crowds, which would generate more revenue for everything else at the place. Hershey does something similar, the ride is free and they even give you a free chocolate bar when you get off, and you can ride as many times as you'd like. And they've made a great deal of money off of me because of it.

General Mayhem

I am not a big fan of a 5th gate that would have extinct attractions. I know us fanboys bring that up as an idea but it isn't as practical as you think. Of course I would love it, as would many on here, but there would be nothing new to see and for most people it wouldn't have people flocking to return to it.

Because Disney doesn't care about an idea that doesn't mean a return in profit. Modern Disney is based on market research and taking as few risks as possible. Building defunct attractions in non-theme park that aren't based on massive IPs is not something that would ever be on the table. Disney Springs is not a theme park, it is a glorified mall, and it's purpose is to be a shopping and dining venue for WDW guests. As much as you love these extinct attractions they are never going to see the light of day again unfortunately.

Club Cooloholic

Mr toads is still ridable at DL

KaliSplash

There is a reason the old attractions were closed. Not enough people were riding. And has been pointed out, Mickey is not doing anything he can't charge money for. As also has been pointed out, many of the younger generation would Not be impressed with things we loved 30 years ago.

Goofyernmost

If they built it, I would ride on nostalgia all day long...
So would a number of people, just not enough to warrant spending Millions of Dollars to build in a new location and have one or two of the same people ride "all day". The current presence of HM, PoC, SSE, Peter Pan, etc. is proof that Disney doesn't shut things down that are still considered a major draw of guests. The do get rid of the ones that cannot support a head count large enough to think that it is worth the expense of maintaining. As a for profit business we cannot really justify why they would not attempt to upgrade and create a new, more modern and exciting attraction. Now just as soon as they apply for tax exempt status as a charity, then we can complain loudly.

mouse_luv

DrNcdlgUwAAHd2m.jpg

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
The Disney Springs carousel costs $3 and is not contained in a building, it is exposed to the weather as many carousels are.

Both Mr Toad and Snow White are dark rides, requiring a building to enclose them for the track and effects as well as the queue. As soon as you create a building, you need to add air conditioning to maintain the comfort of the guests. ADA compliance may need to be addressed with new builds.

They would also need staff, thus payroll, therefore creating more expense.
Because Disney doesn't care about an idea that doesn't mean a return in profit. Modern Disney is based on market research and taking as few risks as possible. Building defunct attractions in non-theme park that aren't based on massive IPs is not something that would ever be on the table. Disney Springs is not a theme park, it is a glorified mall, and it's purpose is to be a shopping and dining venue for WDW guests. As much as you love these extinct attractions they are never going to see the light of day again unfortunately.

Here is the thing, would it not attract more people, therefore more people to the stores/restaurants? The person who has the Hersheypark post explained things rather well, I thought. The boat rides are free at Disney Springs, no matter where you go. I understand that it is based on transportation for the most part but you need staff for that.

Anyway, just a thought, nothing I figure will ever happen.

Mr toads is still ridable at DL

Yeah..........it is the last one there and my guess is the Disneyland locals would never allow it to be shut down. Plus it was busy when I was there in 2012. I rode it a lot (4 times over 2 days) because I missed it.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I have been going to WDW since it opened and before that Disneyland. Me I am just waiting for the day when they gut a good chunk of Frontieerland/Island/RiverBoat and Liberty Square. From Tom Sawer at Thunder Mt side, to Haunted Mansion back to the railroad tracks, Liberty Square and many of the shops and shooting gallery, it is a huge plot of land. Liberty Square has little going, the River Boat isn't a huge hourly draw and neither is Tom's Island. That can all be redeveloped into a new land with modern attractions when the time is right for Disney as it is under utilized acreage. We see what happened to Birthdayland/Toon Town and multiple times shortening the track for the Indy Cars to accommodate both Circus and Tron. When push comes to shove a boat and an Island isn't likely enough to not consider redeveloping those acres.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom