Why do you think people still go to WDW?

SJG

As APs we first returned late July. Although a lot of attractions, shops and restaurants were closed w had a great time. Everyone wore masks, distanced themselves and hand sanitizer everywhere. We felt safe. So we kept going every couple of weeks. Then we noticed it became more and more crowded but people were following protocol UNTIL November. It was like there was no quarantine. It was scarey. People were not distancing themselves. In EPCOT they were walking and drinking and not wearing masks! A week later we ended up with a viral illness. We tested negative thank goodness! BUT we could have had COVID. Our mistake, we ate indoors (The Coral Reef.).You have to take your mask off to eat. So we aren't going back until we get vaccinated! My advice, don't go until you get vaccinated and continue to wear masks, even the common cold is annoying.

Happy New Year,

Very basic question, reading through some threads it would seem that Disney is just bad yet folks still come. So why do you think it's still an attractive vacation destination?

Edited to add:. More geared toward the new comer, I know the huge fan will discuss the parks more critically. I guess a better question for the more serious fan could be would you recommend a trip to Disney to a friend.
ss

Bpmorley

Happy New Year,

Very basic question, reading through some threads it would seem that Disney is just bad yet folks still come. So why do you think it's still an attractive vacation destination?

Edited to add:. More geared toward the new comer, I know the huge fan will discuss the parks more critically. I guess a better question for the more serious fan could be would you recommend a trip to Disney to a friend.
That's actually a really good question.
I know it brings me back to when I first went in 72 and 78. I love all disney stuff. Yes the parks and the food have taken a hit. I still get a thrill as I board any of the mountains in MK. We got married at the Polynesian, although sunset point doesnt exist anymore it's still great to stroll by the area.

DugLovesU

WDW is one of not too many travel options available right now. Cruises? Not sailing. International? Americans are not allowed hardly anywhere due to our pitiful pandemic response. California? No--just no. Even now most visitors to WDW are Disney Dorks like us. Now is not the time to come if you're a one-time visitor. Full price for a limited experience. Just wait until everything opens up, whenever that will be.

Dutch Inn '76

Are you married? It is possible... even normal to love something or someone so much and hate them simultaneously. 🤣🤪

I can't speak for others, but when I'm critical it's usually of changes made that suck, or I'm critical of lack of proper maintenance keeping things running properly. Because my first visit was in 2000, I'm very fond of WDW circa 2000-2004. The things I'm critical of?
  • Changing Test Track
  • Changing Soarin'
  • Changing Backlot Tours
  • Changing the GMR
  • Changing PotC
  • Nixing Wishes
  • Poor maintenance of the HM, TTA, and countless others.
  • Not fixing the Yeti (this one doesn't even need to be stated) :rolleyes:
  • Adding FP+ and what it does to standby lines
My list of WDW things that I miss:
  • the Mike Fink Keelboats
  • the fountain in the Tiki Room
  • the individual shops, penny arcade, and the cinema on Main Street
  • Mr Toad's Wild Ride
  • ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter
  • Roving characters
  • Changes to POTC
  • The skybuckets
  • The Adventurer's Club

WDW additions that I love:
  • Pirate's Adventure in Adventureland
  • Buzz Lightyear's SpaceRanger Spin
  • 7 Dwarfs Mine Train
  • Splash Mountain (it'll soon be on the other list, I suppose)
  • Rise of the Resistance & Smuggler's Run
  • Expedition Everest
  • The "skybuckets!"
  • The awesome projections on the Castle
  • Trader Sam's Grog Grotto
  • ...the Star Wars' "Galactic Starcruiser!"

Last edited:

The_Jobu

Isn't it mostly only locals allowed right now? I would guess they would go for want of things to do. Sounds like, depending on the day, you might find some very low waits.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Are you married? It is possible... even normal to love something or someone so much and hate them simultaneously. 🤣🤪

I can't speak for others, but when I'm critical it's usually of changes made that suck, or I'm critical of lack of proper maintenance keeping things running properly. Because my first visit was in 2000, I'm very fond of WDW circa 2000-2004. The things I'm critical of?
  • Changing Test Track
  • Changing Soarin'
  • Changing Backlot Tours
  • Changing the GMR
  • Changing PotC
  • Nixing Wishes
There are so many others like above, but wanted to hit some of the big ones and at least one from each park. Even with that said, I can't explain the escapism sufficiently. It's been a long time for me unfortunately, but WDW transports me away from any and all worries and responsibilities for a week. There is no other vacation I've taken that takes me away from reality in the same way. I literally don't think of work or problems while I'm there.
lol 31 years. I'm a widow though, my wonderful hubby lost his battle with cancer.. not sure that's a great analogy. while I got mad at my husband many times, every lobbed a projectile in his direction (totally by accident of course) a time or two, I can honestly and happily say I've never hated him a day in our lives.

Fox&Hound

This is why I take my family to WDW:

324872_2916876434176_1522952603_o.jpg

469662_2916881554304_1779594361_o.jpg

471206_2916880514278_1656210742_o.jpg

1276485_10200830646221652_1704244988_o.jpg

1276933_10200830648021697_1202414472_o.jpg

1267572_10200830675502384_1639846226_o.jpg

11705504_10206834392151548_5115650793897764510_o.jpg

12095168_10206839379756235_2224072350883774303_o.jpg

12891605_10206866218707192_3257231461095004375_o.jpg

12916189_10206870435092599_2939956851742257945_o.jpg

12890866_10206880703069292_1177719655208669371_o.jpg

12885972_10206885235222593_6615817501073463138_o.jpg

12916949_10206894140765226_8621468347326032248_o.jpg

17523021_10209902491532115_8192881010406877197_n.jpg

17884007_10209914344428430_1089872355780342840_n.jpg

17884656_10209911354113674_5789862930919029736_n.jpg

17904302_10209930469831555_7789760581933899119_n.jpg

17884088_10209940411280085_2038786581446751750_n.jpg

17884444_10209941356503715_1192903143663206391_n.jpg

17951837_10209932810490070_2673021317148972375_n.jpg
Beautiful family pictures! Thanks for sharing =)

Phonedave

Forgive me, but I actually have traveled to Europe and assorted locations in North America and mostly just winged it. It is a really fun way to travel, and generally VERY easy to do, especially - in of all places - Western Europe. To start, you just need a plane ticket. I suppose you could say I researched cheap flights.

These days, one can mostly rely on credit cards and/or ATM's.

In Europe, an easy way to roam is to have a Eurail Pass. They sell assorted passes, but a popular one is the 10trips/2 months pass: 10 train trips within a 2 month window. On top of that, you can reserve a sleeper car (for an upcharge). In years past you only needed to make overnight reservations about 24 hours out. just wherever you feel like going! A quick glance: single= 65-70 Euros, double = 30-40 per person - varies by train. Rental car is also an option, but Europe has some nasty speed camera traps, expensive gas, and pricey tolls.

Other folks do wing-it travel by bike/backpack/hostels. It is also super easy to wing it and get a hotel or hotel room in just about an European city. Many (most?) include a morning beverage and (some type of) breakfast.

In pretty much every city train station/airport it is really easy to stop into a travel office to buy any kind of assorted activity pass you want to buy. So like in Paris, you can buy a 5 day museum pass that is good for unlimited entry to like the top 50 Paris museums. Or if you want to tour the Loire Valley, you just get a pass good for assorted combos of 3 or more chateaus, sold at the entrance of every chateau.

Being able to access wifi is helpful. Hotel staff are often very helpful if you have any questions about where to go or what to see, but usually the main things to visit are rather obvious. If one's hotel has a concierge, they are awesome! Just off the top of their heads, they often know the best discount deals and all. It is really fun to just arrive some place and wander around. Maybe do a little shopping, maybe visit a park, some cathedrals, landmarks...

You also don't need to make any major plans to eat for the most part either. Cities and smaller towns usually have plenty of options in assorted price ranges, and menus are usually posted out front. If that's too hard, Europe has plenty of fast food places. France alone has nearly 1,500 McDonald's, and a French chain called Quick, among many others.

In the USA, it is like super easy to find roadside hotels at almost every highway ext. Many again, include free breakfast. You often get a lower rate if you can call/search ahead, but an hour will do.

If all else fails, ask a local. Usually people are happy to tell you the name of their favorite diner or ice cream shop, or what 's fun to visit.

All of what you described is called planning.

You KNOW these things. You know about the Eurail pass, your know about. You know about the availability of Museum passes, etc.

A comparison is, we know that you can go to WDW and book FP+ on the app at the beginning of the day. There are people that go a whole trip with no idea how FP+ works.

We know how DME works. People come in and complain because their checked in luggage took 3 hours to show up.

I'm not talking about planning out every single minute of the day, but about having a general knowledge of how things work and what to expect.

MickeyLuv'r

All of what you described is called planning.

You KNOW these things. You know about the Eurail pass, your know about. You know about the availability of Museum passes, etc.

A comparison is, we know that you can go to WDW and book FP+ on the app at the beginning of the day. There are people that go a whole trip with no idea how FP+ works.

We know how DME works. People come in and complain because their checked in luggage took 3 hours to show up.

I'm not talking about planning out every single minute of the day, but about having a general knowledge of how things work and what to expect.
I was going to qualify my post by saying it depends what you mean by "planning." IMO, background knowledge isn't planning.

To travel internationally, you do need a valid Passport.

It is also be hard to go to France without transportation, but beyond that it is quite possible to wing it.

I didn't plan the museum pass, I didn't know about it until I arrived. I just assumed I could buy a ticket when I arrived.

I've known Europe has trains from my general education, not planning specific to any trip, just like basic WWII history. Watching a WWII documentary isn't what I'd call trip planning, but as I aid, it agree it depends how one defines planning.

In the USA, I've often hopped in the car and made up my trip as I go. It is easy, or at least it was pre-pandemic. Backpacking across Europe is also truly a way many folks travel, especially in Europe - of all places, that's why I responded to your post. They just sorta ramble a little or a lot each day until their money runs out. The trick is to make the $ last as long as possible.

(My other point was that...IMO, WDW sorta requires more planning that that. It is sorta possible to do WDW with minimal planning, but- at least pre-pandemic, not planning likely = missing out in a big way. more than once, I opted out of going to WDW because not pre-booking = not getting decent FP. It is much easier to go most other places with no real plan, like Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale. plenty of fun in Tampa with no plan.)

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

I read today that some (many) folks are still waiting on AP refunds, despite calling multiple times.

I can't say I'm in that camp, but I could see how waiting all this time, and making multiple hour+ phone calls, and still not getting a refund would taint one's perspective on WDW.

Maybe someone in that situation will chime in to attest to their experience.

Giss Neric

A lot of my friends goes to WDW and theme parks in general cause it's the one place where you feel the adrenaline rush through some rides. It's also a place where you can feel happy, annoyed, angry, scared, nervous, excited and thrilled at the same time, and that's healthy. If you only feel one emotion then something is wrong.

Dad 2 M & M

It still "works" in our schedule(s). Business takes us from SC coast to Tampa, and then back to ATL. When we can stop in, hit a few rides and get that refresh.

Not having to take everything in works in our favor.

Certainly don't see how a newbie/1st timer could go now, san extreme convenience.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Happy New Year,

Kinda an “odd” question under the circumstances, isn’t it??

I mean...if nobody is in their normal frame of mind...it’s a hard question to answer

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Kinda an “odd” question under the circumstances, isn’t it??

I mean...if nobody is in their normal frame of mind...it’s a hard question to answer
Very true, though interesting, I'm seeing a lot of folks who are planning trips for that very reason. They're longing for some "normalcy" so they are tolerating a bit of the lost value to get it back.

Buck Wheelie

• Changing Test Track
  • Changing Soarin'
  • Changing Backlot Tours
  • Changing the GMR
  • Changing PotC
  • Nixing Wishes
There are so many others like above, but wanted to hit some of the big ones and at least one from each park. Even with that said, I can't explain the escapism sufficiently. It's been a long time for me unfortunately, but WDW transports me away from any and all worries and responsibilities for a week. There is no other vacation I've taken that takes me away from reality in the same way. I literally don't think of work or problems while I'm there.
I also preferred WDW in the early 2000's compared to today. I think the worst update I've seen has been to Test Track. The original ride was based on the actual build and testing of vehicles. I'm not sure what this new ride is supposed to be about.

The original Soarin' was good but I think it would have been better had that film stayed a DL attraction and there was an "east coast" version for WDW.

We always enjoyed the Backlot Tour. I've never been a big Star Wars fan so this big shift toward SW attractions and a resort doesn't do anything for me. I know I'm in the minority on that though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Very true, though interesting, I'm seeing a lot of folks who are planning trips for that very reason. They're longing for some "normalcy" so they are tolerating a bit of the lost value to get it back.
Yeah...I saw a lot of “home”...

I think you can guess where I’m at on that...if only to change the terminology a little

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom