Why do you believe WDW has gone downhill?

Miss Bella

I don't know if its gone downhill as much as the price has gone up so much it doesn't feel like it's worth the cost. I have one teenager that loves going and another that doesn't. There is still value in taking the teen that loves it. The other one stays home. I'm easy. I'm happy not being at work. Just give me a nice resort or a nice ship..... a cold beer or Pina Colada and I'm good.

Stitch826

So, I'm actually writing an essay and I need the voices of those who believe Disney World has lost its special touch.

What are changes Disney has made you believe have been for the worst? And does it represent something greater? Are there things you see now that you don't like? Essentially, I need people to complain about Disney World so I have arguments to address.

For example:
Not fixing the Yeti as a sign that Disney fails to maintain their rides to the extent they should.
Or,
Food quality, in general, has gone down but the prices remain high indicating Disney is being cheap.

The only thing else I ask for is to say something more creative than "crowds" and "ticket Price Increase." Least, if you say these give a unique argument as to why they're bad

Thanks!

Oh! And if you don't think Disney has gone downhill, I'd take those responses too!

Edit: Maybe downhill was too broad of a term. I'm really just seeking what changes or things have there been that have reduced the quality of your Walt Disney World Experience.
I do not agree that WDW has gone downhill and therefore need counter-arguments. Rather than assuming what the counter-arguments are, I thought it'd be nice to quote some. Therefore, I really would like specific points of an argument.

Having taken two trips down to Disney in the past eleven months, I personally don't believe Disney has gone downhill, at least not too far. Yes, some things could be improved. Extra magic hours are one example. That used to be one of the big perks to staying on Disney property, but not anymore. In the five days I was there at the beginning of this month, I didn't use EMH once. The only one of the four parks to have evening EMH during the time I was there was Hollywood Studios, and that was only one night. MK, Epcot, and AK all had early morning EMH for one hour before the parks opened. Last year when I was there, I only used EMH once.

Another thing that needs improved mightily is bus transportation. With the nightly parking fee added to resort guests now who bring a vehicle on Disney property, I believe even more guests will opt in to using Disney's Magical Express to and from the airport and leave the transportation to the Mouse. Yes, the gondolas will help to an extent when they open next year. However, they only connect to a handful of resorts from two parks (Epcot and HS). The ridiculously long bus lines will continue at the end of the night, especially at MK and Epcot. I'm not sure why Disney doesn't use the longer "stretch" buses for all their resorts, instead of just a select few. It most likely doesn't want to spend more money to replace all of them. Nothing's more irritating at the end of a long day in the parks than to wait in a bus line for 30-45 minutes, then getting crammed into a standing-room-only bus for a 20-minute bus ride back to your resort.

Yes, there are things that Disney is doing well. Disney's Magical Express is one such example. The entire process was seamless, from the minute I made my hotel reservation to the moment I picked up my luggage at my final destination at the end of my vacation. Disney picked up my luggage in Orlando and delivered it to my room while I was in one of the parks. At the airport, the wait to get on the bus was less than 15 minutes. The overall trip to my resort took less than 45 minutes. When I headed home, I gave my luggage to the people at the station in front of the resort and they managed to get it on my flight to my final destination. (On a side note, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Disney began charging guests to use this free service. In fact, I am shocked they haven't already.)

MagicBands are another example of something Disney does well. Disney wants you to spend money, and what easier way is there to do that than to use your wristband as a credit card (also as a room key, park ticket, and fastpass)? MagicBands have made the vacation experience easier.

Finally, Disney continues to upgrade their parks. With the opening of the Avatar rides at AK, it is closer to becoming a park where guests will spend a full day (still has a considerable way to go though). HS now has Toy Story Land and will have their Star Wars land next year, making it a full-day park.

Ultimately, the Disney experience is what ones makes of it. No vacation is perfect. Flights get delayed, rides break down, your hotel room may be in the furthest building from the bus stop, rain or thunderstorms occur, people get sick, etc. I traveled to Disney in December 2017 and again earlier this month and had an amazing experience both trips and would return in a heartbeat. Yes, park admission rates continue to climb, but it's all about supply and demand. Wait until next year when the gondola opens and the new Star Wars area opens at HS. My guess is that HS will be packed all winter next year and the resorts with gondola stations will see a sizable increase in room rates.

MsAnniee

I contend that money is not being spent on staff training. I always stay at AKL. It was wonderful to gave a cast member welcome you back to the resort. That greeting set the tone of being away from the daily grind for me.

My last couple of trips, cast members were too busy standing in a group and talking among themselves to even notice guests entering the building.

To me that represents a lack of investment in human capital. 🙁

Raineman

The Disney Dining Plan was the single biggest detriment to Disney food ever. By forcing people to pre-pay for far more food than they should/would need to eat, they are able to drastically reduce menus, sourcing and options while keeping butts in seats all year round. If one were to visit Chef Mickey's in 2001 then flash foward to today, they'd be appalled. There's still a few options that are outstanding, but these are generally the locations where guests fork over good hard currency, as opposed to their magic band for the dining plan.
I think this is one of many things discussed on this thread that is completely opinion based on perception, but I have been to WDW three times since March of 2014, and not once has myself or a family member had anything bad to say about food quality and portion size, and we have used the DDP every time. I have reiterated on other posts about the DDP that I am definitely not a foodie, so I don't expect fine dining menus and food quality at WDW, but if you are someone who has a more sophisticated palate, I could see why you would not be satisfied with the dining options at WDW. For the most part, myself and my family just want a good, filling meal. and then get back to exploring the parks, so if there has been any decline since the DDP was added, it hasn't affected us at all.

phrog

I feel one place they are dropping the ball is on most of the merchandise. There are many items that the mark up is so much that they have out priced most consumers. There are several things that I would like to have, but I'm not spending 100's of dollars on something. (This coming from the woman who bought the $2,000 couch.)

I do feel there has been a decline in the bubble feeling. I liked going to Disney because I could let my guard down. I just assumed because you paid the amount you did for entrance that people would act accordingly. I was wrong, it gives them a sense of entitlement that they can do whatever they want, "They paid to get in".

I wish they would have more rides that were geared for children that adults could ride too. That was why Walt first came up with the idea for Disneyland so he could ride with his daughter. I hate thrill rides.

TrojanUSC

I think this is one of many things discussed on this thread that is completely opinion based on perception, but I have been to WDW three times since March of 2014, and not once has myself or a family member had anything bad to say about food quality and portion size, and we have used the DDP every time. I have reiterated on other posts about the DDP that I am definitely not a foodie, so I don't expect fine dining menus and food quality at WDW, but if you are someone who has a more sophisticated palate, I could see why you would not be satisfied with the dining options at WDW. For the most part, myself and my family just want a good, filling meal. and then get back to exploring the parks, so if there has been any decline since the DDP was added, it hasn't affected us at all.

Going between 2014 and today is just a poor sample for comparison as it's basically the same. Had you gone in 2000-2007 to today, you'd have noticed much larger menus, more diversity, greater freedoms to the individual chefs, more items made fresh (it's funny when people talk about which character breakfast has the best food - they're all frozen potatoes, powdered eggs from the same company, etc). Also, whether you use the dining plan or not has little effect on the quality of food, they just force more people into eating way more than they would on their own.

Last edited:

mary mccaffrey

So, I'm actually writing an essay and I need the voices of those who believe Disney World has lost its special touch.

What are changes Disney has made you believe have been for the worst? And does it represent something greater? Are there things you see now that you don't like? Essentially, I need people to complain about Disney World so I have arguments to address.

For example:
Not fixing the Yeti as a sign that Disney fails to maintain their rides to the extent they should.
Or,
Food quality, in general, has gone down but the prices remain high indicating Disney is being cheap.

The only thing else I ask for is to say something more creative than "crowds" and "ticket Price Increase." Least, if you say these give a unique argument as to why they're bad

Thanks!

Oh! And if you don't think Disney has gone downhill, I'd take those responses too!

Edit: Maybe downhill was too broad of a term. I'm really just seeking what changes or things have there been that have reduced the quality of your Walt Disney World Experience.
I do not agree that WDW has gone downhill and therefore need counter-arguments. Rather than assuming what the counter-arguments are, I thought it'd be nice to quote some. Therefore, I really would like specific points of an argument.
Yes it is going downhill overpriced for what u get food quality is really bad and high rise time shares going up at all moderate resorts and it’s so crowded as it is and they are going to add more people with all these vacation villas Charging for parking if u are a guest when u are paying 300 plus at most resorts the staff is so unfriendly not like years ago they should go to the hundreds of retirement places in the area and hire them instead of hiring interns from other countries but people are coming and they are making money and that’s all they care about. The exact opposite of Walt Disney wanted

Bpmorley

I think so. They keep building resorts, but the parks aren't getting any bigger, thus getting more crowded. Along with more crowded, they cost more and in a normal day you see less attractions. Seeing less attractions means getting less for your $. Now you have angrier guests that are taking it out on CMs. CMs start caring less, customer service goes down. The cycle keeps going round and round

Raineman

Going between 2014 and today is just a poor sample for comparison as it's basically the same. Had you gone in 2000-2007 to today, you'd have noticed much larger menus, more diversity, greater freedoms to the individual chefs, more items made fresh (it's funny when people talk about which character breakfast has the best food - they're all frozen potatoes, powdered eggs from the same company, etc). Also, whether you use the dining plan or not has little effect on the quality of food, they just force more people into eating way more than they would on their own.
Yeah, my first trip was in 1990, and I can't remember how good the food was then, so you are right about that. And, trust me, there are a few things I've eaten at WDW that I was not completely thrilled with (the mashed potatoes at CRT tasted like instant mashed potatoes, not something you really want to be served when paying over $100 a pop), but when it comes to food, I am not hard to please, so I can understand where some people are coming from. Also, the only reason I mentioned the quality of the food in relation to the DDP is that some people on here have equated the perceived decline in food quality to the rise of the DDP, which I don't see as a direct correlation. Most of the time, the portions I get with the DDP are just right, but, I will admit, sometimes I am just too full for the dessert included in the DDP table service meals.

TrojanUSC

Yeah, my first trip was in 1990, and I can't remember how good the food was then, so you are right about that. And, trust me, there are a few things I've eaten at WDW that I was not completely thrilled with (the mashed potatoes at CRT tasted like instant mashed potatoes, not something you really want to be served when paying over $100 a pop), but when it comes to food, I am not hard to please, so I can understand where some people are coming from. Also, the only reason I mentioned the quality of the food in relation to the DDP is that some people on here have equated the perceived decline in food quality to the rise of the DDP, which I don't see as a direct correlation. Most of the time, the portions I get with the DDP are just right, but, I will admit, sometimes I am just too full for the dessert included in the DDP table service meals.

There is a direct correlation, though. When you have people pre-paying for their food at a discounted rate, you are not incentivized to offer the freshest of ingredients, diverse menus, etc. It's all cost-controlled and corporate-driven. Mashed potatoes are a great example. Nearly every restaurant on property uses the same instant mashed potatoes now. Prior to the DDP, you could find a variety of different kinds - often made in-restaurant. Chef Mickey's , which is now basically gulag food, used to have these amazing parmesan mashed potatoes made by the Chef's in-house. Now it's the same stuff you'll find at CRT.

Raineman

There is a direct correlation, though. When you have people pre-paying for their food at a discounted rate, you are not incentivized to offer the freshest of ingredients, diverse menus, etc. It's all cost-controlled and corporate-driven. Mashed potatoes are a great example. Nearly every restaurant on property uses the same instant mashed potatoes now. Prior to the DDP, you could find a variety of different kinds - often made in-restaurant. Chef Mickey's , which is now basically gulag food, used to have these amazing parmesan mashed potatoes made by the Chef's in-house. Now it's the same stuff you'll find at CRT.
Is the DDP a discounted rate? Just wondering, because I never really thought of it that way. For example, the standard DDP, which is 1 QS and 1 TS meal, works out to $75/day. If you took the average QS meal cost and added it to the average TS meal cost, would it add up more than $75? If so, then the DDP could definitely be considered a discounted plan. I know there has been quite a few days at WDW where I would be under the $75/day if I added up the actual total cost based on menu pricing, but would there be enough days where I would be well enough over the $75 that would make the total cost of meals for the length of my stay add up to more than what I paid for the DDP? I am curious enough that I am going to track it next fall when I go, just so see if I would have paid more or less than what the DDP cost was.

Yert3

If you asked me this in 2012, I would agree with you. That year for me was an all time low for WDW. Burned out lights everywhere. TONS of broken effects on all attractions. Trash littered everywhere in the queues. Anyone remember how bad Splash got?

Here’s a video I took of Splash I took to document how awful it was, just in case you forgot:

Ever since then though, I’d say things have gotten back to normal for the most part. Broken effects are usually addressed in a few days and the parks are a lot cleaner now than they were a few years prior.

MAGICFLOP

Is the DDP a discounted rate? Just wondering, because I never really thought of it that way. For example, the standard DDP, which is 1 QS and 1 TS meal, works out to $75/day. If you took the average QS meal cost and added it to the average TS meal cost, would it add up more than $75? If so, then the DDP could definitely be considered a discounted plan. I know there has been quite a few days at WDW where I would be under the $75/day if I added up the actual total cost based on menu pricing, but would there be enough days where I would be well enough over the $75 that would make the total cost of meals for the length of my stay add up to more than what I paid for the DDP? I am curious enough that I am going to track it next fall when I go, just so see if I would have paid more or less than what the DDP cost was.
I think DDP can only lower the food quality. If you paid in advance there is no need to provide top quality. If they have whole lobster on the menu for $35 and it was really good quality, other guests would see it on the table and perhaps be swayed to purchase it, but DDP people are going to grab it because its the most expensive and they want their monies worth (or perceived monies worth), there is no need for top quality, hence when it is brought to the table, others looking on will say 'I'm not spending $35 on that', which causes the quality to drop further until lobster is only ordered by DDP people an it looks like crab legs at a $7 Chinese buffet.

For me, DDP is a losing proposition, I eat what I eat when I want it, irregardless of the price... (I don't order extravagantly). If I go into a 711 for coffee and they say it comes with a free donut, I kindly decline the donut and just get the coffee..

Free tip: You can't save money by buying something you don't need or want... especially at a discount..

Raineman

I think DDP can only lower the food quality. If you paid in advance there is no need to provide top quality. If they have whole lobster on the menu for $35 and it was really good quality, other guests would see it on the table and perhaps be swayed to purchase it, but DDP people are going to grab it because its the most expensive and they want their monies worth (or perceived monies worth), there is no need for top quality, hence when it is brought to the table, others looking on will say 'I'm not spending $35 on that', which causes the quality to drop further until lobster is only ordered by DDP people an it looks like crab legs at a $7 Chinese buffet.

For me, DDP is a losing proposition, I eat what I eat when I want it, irregardless of the price... (I don't order extravagantly). If I go into a 711 for coffee and they say it comes with a free donut, I kindly decline the donut and just get the coffee..

Free tip: You can't save money by buying something you don't need or want... especially at a discount..
Personally, I have never looked for the most expensive entree on the menu while using the DDP-I just order what sounds good to me or something that I’ve had before and liked. If I ever did get the top priced entree, it was only because I wanted to try it. There definitely are some people who will do that every time to “get their moneys worth”, but that doesn’t even enter my mind, TBH. I have never used the DDP as a money saving feature, it just allows me to know months ahead of time exactly what I’m going to pay for meals at WDW. It’s all a matter of choice, really.

TraderSam

Real quick one: The monorail has gone downhill dramatically and needs to be fixed immediately. The door falling off at the Grand Floridian is just embarrassing. Not to mention I'm a huge Bob Gurr fan, and he shouldn't see his creation treated so poorly.

Now, for the rest of the story:

I have what is probably a different opinion than most. From a purely economic standpoint, I see so many more people taking multiple Disney vacations now than in the past that I wonder if Disney would be better off increasing the price point of the tickets to where it limited the number of multiple WDW trips people could take. This could help with crowd levels, which could in turn help with less stress on cast members leading to better service and a better overall guest experience. This would likely include pricing myself out of multiple trips.

For the sake of round numbers, if the average trip yields $5,000 with 100,000 trips being taken, revenues are $500,000,000. If they increase the prices to where the average trip costs $10,000 and this only results in 50,000 trips being taken, the same overall revenues of $500,000,000 are earned with less overhead required, less stress on cast members and thinner crowds in the parks. Instead, they keep the prices to where they can maximize both price and attendance, which I believe can take away from the overall experience. But if they're trying to maximize profits, that's what they'll do.

And this is why Walt was great. I can't say what he'd do today versus when he started the parks, but he was all about quality. If he knew the quality of the experience was dropping, he'd fix it.

I have noticed a lower level of overall service in the past few years. It used to be that a cast member would never say "I don't know" and not give you an answer. If they didn't know, they'd find out for you. There have been multiple times in the past couple of trips where we got an "I don't know" and that was about it. Disney's service is still excellent compared to their counterparts, but the "Wow" factor isn't as common as it used to be in the parks.

First, let me say that I find that Disney has gone through great lengths to keep the parks and rides updated (in general). I love the new expansions they have done and are still working on, and find the staff very friendly and the parks and grounds are kept clean. Disney is still Magical to me and my family.

The criticism I have is that the price has increased so much in recent years, especially when it comes to the food. I found the quality of the food has gone down while the prices have only risen. I know that it's a theme park but eating 3 meals in the park now, including snacks, is so expensive for a middle-class family like ours. It is borderline ridiculous. On my last trip to Disney in 2018, I really felt like Disney was taking advantage of its guest, especially since it was March break and Disney raises prices during busy season. Food prices should not change because the park is full or not. It should cost me the same price for my burger in February than in March.

Will this keep me away from WDW? Maybe not, but let's say that I'm taking a break for a while. I'll maybe go again once the new Star Wars Land opens.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It'd be very interesting if someone were to post a delivery receipt at the central warehouse from WDW's food suppliers...

Hockey89

First, let me say that I find that Disney has gone through great lengths to keep the parks and rides updated (in general). I love the new expansions they have done and are still working on, and find the staff very friendly and the parks and grounds are kept clean. Disney is still Magical to me and my family.

The criticism I have is that the price has increased so much in recent years, especially when it comes to the food. I found the quality of the food has gone down while the prices have only risen. I know that it's a theme park but eating 3 meals in the park now, including snacks, is so expensive for a middle-class family like ours. It is borderline ridiculous. On my last trip to Disney in 2018, I really felt like Disney was taking advantage of its guest, especially since it was March break and Disney raises prices during busy season. Food prices should not change because the park is full or not. It should cost me the same price for my burger in February than in March.

Will this keep me away from WDW? Maybe not, but let's say that I'm taking a break for a while. I'll maybe go again once the new Star Wars Land opens.
The food is the biggest issue by far and it will only get worse as the DDP has ruined it.... I have dinner at the sig places for every dinner but after my last trip I don't know what I will do... This will change for us.... The steaks at the YM are a joke now.... Comparing it to Grill 23 in Boston or any high end steak place near me it doesn't come close.... Even our special meal at v&a was not as good... We have been 7 times and it was the first time we said we may not be back.... Capa at the four seasons is way better.... It's sad that people have bought into the DDP so much because it has killed the food.... For most people, it doesn't even save them money and just cash flows Disney... When I hear people here say, they know it may cost more but I don't want to think about the prices or id just go cheap if I paid in cash makes me scream...Act like an adult.

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

Budget Cuts.

images
images

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom