Why do people from the Uk come to WDW

Lunamis

I actually wonder that too...
Does it cost more to vacation here?
Then again everything is in english so perhaps the language barrier is less daunting...

mousermerf

Account Suspended
WDW is percieved world wide as a vacation destination. Spaceship Earth is actually used heavily as a marketing icon outside of the US, not Cinderella Castle - which would make it the idea of the place more similiar to DLP.

On the Britt side of things - a holiday in FL is like an institution. It's sunny, it's got oranges, etc..

Mecha Figment

Original Poster
sadly florida doesn't really have that many oranges . use to be thousands of groves .. but now they have become mini malls and urban sprall.

MuRkErY

Because DLP is not as good.

I'd rather go to the US than France, and the language obviously.

It might only be a train ride away, but it actully would take me longer to get to DLP than it would to get to Florida. 7-8 hour flight to Florida, or a long drive down to the South England, then a 30 min train ride, then another long drive to Paris.

Plus, the weather, and you feel more at home in the US rather than France, which is obviously due to a combination of things.

I wish I lived 1000 years in the future though, lol.

This is actully fact, but the UK is moving ever closer to North America every year, by something like 1 Inch, or something dumb like that, so think in like a 1000 years time WDW will only be a train ride away as well, lol.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
MuRkErY said:
This is actully fact, but the UK is moving ever closer to North America every year, by something like 1 Inch, or something dumb like that, so think in like a 1000 years time WDW will only be a train ride away as well, lol.

Um, since Pangea, continental drift has been moving the Americas away from Europe and closer to Asia... A thousand years hence, you might be able to take a train, but it'll be by way of Asia to connect to North America. It'll be a very long train ride, but by then trains'll be a lot faster, so it still might be quicker than it is now. :lol:

:wave:

MuRkErY

Um, since Pangea, continental drift has been moving the Americas away from Europe and closer to Asia... A thousand years hence, you might be able to take a train, but it'll be by way of Asia to connect to North America. It'll be a very long train ride, but by then trains'll be a lot faster, so it still might be quicker than it is now

I heard it was the other way round :lookaroun

Pongo

Mecha Figment said:
when they can simply take a train or drive to Disnelyland Paris?

For the same reason that people in Orlando go on vacation to Paris and visit Disneyland.

It's there, and there is not here.

That's what vacation is all about.

DisneyWales

Dlrp

If you look in the Paris resort forum you will see my post on the Resort. Its nice, but really is just a theme park with Disney Characters, its not a Magic World of fun and enchantment. Also as has been pointed out, for me it's 4 hours to ferry, 1 hour crossing 3 hours from Port to DLRP all that to go to a Resort where English is the Second language, the weather is no better than home, and they only have 1 and a half parks. Plus alot of Brits arn't too keen on the whole Europe thing, and because of that were disliked by alot of Europe.

I went for my Birthday and was nothing but disapointed. I ALWAYS leave WDW with a bigger smile than when I got there. Then cry when i have to fly home. Food is better, shopping is better, weather is better, people are nicer, things are cheaper, the magic is bigger, honestly if I could I would move to America, the UK can be a depressing place, particularly this time of year when the weather sucks.

Anyway as they say Grass is always greener....

Magic Maker

Mecha Figment said:
sadly florida doesn't really have that many oranges . use to be thousands of groves .. but now they have become mini malls and urban sprall.

Gee would I rather have orange groves or WDW and the resulting booming economy we have now? :) :wave: :p

There are still plenty of orange groves in north and south Florida.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Mecha Figment,

Have you been to Paris? I have. It is the most expensive place I have ever been to ($8 for a small coffee!), the weather is absolutely horrid, and Parisians are.. err... Parisians.

Also, given the favorable exchange rate for Britons and those in the Eurozone, almost any US destination is cheaper than its European equivalent (even if more travel is required). And the average UK visitor does more in Orlando than just visit the parks. They do quite a bit of shopping here since most consumer goods sold in the US are cheaper than the same item abroad, lower purchasing tax (6.5% sales tax v. over 10% VAT in GB/Eurozone), and once again... the exchange rate.

Furthermore, the growing emergence of MCO and SFB as international airports. You can get nonstop flghts from the Orlando airports to London, Manchester, Dublin, Amsterdam, Reykjavik, Keflavik, and Frankfurt. And this is just for European regularly scheduled travel. Add Latin America and the Caribbean as well as regularly occuring chartered flights, and the number of destinations served could easily triple.

Last point... believe it or not, but our boring, ordinary Orlando can actually be considered "exotic" to a person from a country that is a diametric opposite to ours.

That is all.

ogryn

Mecha Figment said:
when they can simply take a train or drive to Disnelyland Paris?

Don't you want us there? :p

Rob's pretty much nailed it.

The language barrier is not a consideration as most of DLP is Bi-Language anyway.

Paris has two parks, Florida has 4 and 2 water parks, and Busch, SeaWorld, Universal.

Basically, Florida is the Theme Park Capital of the World, Paris isn't :wave:

casey's catcher

Like the Queen and the Darling children, I live in the UK. And I choose wdw over DLP because it is in the US (do not underestimate the attraction of America to most Brits) and more importantly, it is flippin wdw! 'Nuff said.
That DLP and WDW are both Disney is neither here or there - Where's my Epcot, Frenchy; where's Sally from Wisconsin, who worked in the Emporium on Main Street, telling me when sad: 'my mother always said it was better to leave having had a good time than not'. (Phew, thanks Sally!)
It's in the details; the sun on the leaves; the yellow stripe of a monorail; a 3am Easter-time MK wander.
Furthermore, I would pick WDW over DL, ca. Yes the '55 original is American and once you have crossed the Atlantic I think a further 3,000 miles is negligible, but DL is not the joyous four-park paradise that is the Floridian house of mouse. The answer is in the question. World, dear friends, World - I don't do Lands.
And besides, aren't Disney parks inherently American to a degree? Haunted houses; the frontier, space rockets, baseball; Victorian Missourri main streets; Tom Sawyer.
I'd just rather see the eiffel tower at the end of Impressions de France than the real thing. It may sound wrong but in the World Showcase I've got churro right outside and yummy yummy yummy disney in my tummy. And maybe if I'm real good, someone will buy me a kick-@ss transformer from Once Upon a Toy.

because disneyland paris is pure crap!!!!!
i live in ashford kent with an international station where i could pick up the Eurostar.
Disneyland Paris has no magic because the park is completly french and they are always complaining and are on strike. The park has also been on the down since it was built just read their history.
The weather is also a problem because it is always freezing there and most of the rides shut. if they had built the park in Alicante in spain they would have had more customers and the park would be much better.

So please close this thread because disneyland paris is not worth visiting and the only decent attractions are Space Mountain and the Indiana Jones rollercoaster.

doctorcfjh

I will start by saying that Walt Disney World surpasses Disneyland Paris in Scope, Variety, Scale and atmosphere. For these reasons DLP will never overcome the bad press that it had in the first place. There is no Epcot. No Animal Kingdom. No waterparks. BUT in my opinion the level of design, detail and charm of the Magic Kingdom Style park in France far EXCEEDS its floridian counterpart. Themes are cohesive. Eisner's over-spending on the park, although financially disastrous for the resort in the long run, has left DLP with a legacy of the rich detail and immersion that the Magic Kingdom fails to deliver.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
This is counterbalanced by the impeccable guest service, friendliness and charm of not just the CMs in Orlando, but of the American people as a whole. I love both resorts. The Disneyland Park in France I dip into a tour de force of imagineering wonder. Vacations to Florida are stepping into another world. In the end the scale, diversity, spectacle and culture of the American parks will always drive the UK tourist industry westwards. That said UK guests form a large 3-4 million / year part of the visitors to DLP. Language is NOT a barrier and the sheer proximity keeps Paris an appealing visit to the average guest. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I am off to WDW this Halloween. Did someone say I was sitting on the fence?

Pippa

Because DLP doesn't have the Adventurers Club, but then again nowhere else on the face of the planet does!

Pippa

Pippa said:
Because DLP doesn't have the Adventurers Club, but then again nowhere else on the face of the planet does!

Seriously, we come to WDW for all the obvious reasons; exchange rate, weather, great food, shopping etc.

But we visit WDW for the same reason everyone else does.....

magic!!!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
disneydude2000 said:
because disneyland paris is pure crap!!!!!
i live in ashford kent with an international station where i could pick up the Eurostar.
Disneyland Paris has no magic because the park is completly french and they are always complaining and are on strike. The park has also been on the down since it was built just read their history.
The weather is also a problem because it is always freezing there and most of the rides shut. if they had built the park in Alicante in spain they would have had more customers and the park would be much better.

So please close this thread because disneyland paris is not worth visiting and the only decent attractions are Space Mountain and the Indiana Jones rollercoaster.

What IS he rambling about?

Wrong, wrong, worong... I can`t be bothered to correct him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom