Why do new rides not have on-ride photos

datbates

Original Poster
Does anyone know why the newest rides (runaway railway, smuggler's run, rise of the resistance) do not have on-ride photos. Is Disney deciding to discontinue this service eventually?

kap91

Does anyone know why the newest rides (runaway railway, smuggler's run, rise of the resistance) do not have on-ride photos. Is Disney deciding to discontinue this service eventually?
I imagine it's some combination of 1. Many of the rides built in the last few years aren't "thrill" rides of the kind you might want to see how you looked on and 2. Now that you don't buy on ride photos individually anymore, it's less financially lucrative to include them.

SailorMercury

I’m surprised Smugglers Run doesn’t have one. It would be so easy to integrate. Last attraction (that I can think of) that has one was 7DMT.

The Haunted Mansion photo is the perfect example as to why some of the newer rides don’t. That pic always comes out boring lmao.

On top of that, most of the photos are in the photo pass now, so pretty much everything gives Disney money whether or not they do a photo.

JustAFan

Not sure where/how you would do an on-ride photo in the rides you mentioned. The other rides that offer a photo are typically coaster or thrill rides and capture the moment in one of the more thrilling sections of the ride. One example of a fairly recent ride that does include a photo is Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. You'll notice there that they don't have the typical physical booth to view, scan, buy your photo like older attractions. The photo and video are sent to your app.

SailorMercury

Yeah. That’s what I mean. Haunted Mansion has one. It’s extremely boring and pointless. It’s usually just me and a family member staring mindlessly.

Smugglers Run would be cool for Star Wars fans to see their party riding in the Falcon’s cockpit. It’s certainly one I would love at least.

And like you mentioned with the absence of the photo booths and it getting sent right to the app, that’s probably why they don’t do it: because it doesn’t get them any extra money if everything is already bundled into one.

ppete1975

im shocked slinky doesnt have one (if it does i apologize, i havent been in awhile) since its a roller coaster and toy story it just seems perfect for one.

also will be interesting if rat or gotg has one (both should, but if i had to pick the most likely it would be gotg)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Personally, I think it's a privacy issue thing... people probably complained they were in other peoples' pictures, and vice versa.

JustAFan

im shocked slinky doesnt have one (if it does i apologize, i havent been in awhile) since its a roller coaster and toy story it just seems perfect for one.

also will be interesting if rat or gotg has one (both should, but if i had to pick the most likely it would be gotg)
Hmm good point on Slinky. That seems like a good ride for a photo.

I'll be surprised if Ratatouille has one. That seems to be similar to Runaway Railway.

DisneyJoe

I’m surprised Smugglers Run doesn’t have one. It would be so easy to integrate. Last attraction (that I can think of) that has one was 7DMT.

The Haunted Mansion photo is the perfect example as to why some of the newer rides don’t. That pic always comes out boring lmao.

On top of that, most of the photos are in the photo pass now, so pretty much everything gives Disney money whether or not they do a photo.
I am not sure that Smuggler's Run would easily be able to get all 6 people into the photo, especially if those in the middle or rear may be turning their heads to face the panels/buttons on the side.

ppete1975

Slinky Dog Dash does have an on-ride photo, it loads directly into your account.
cool, as i said i really didnt know but since someone said 7dmt was the last ride I assumed it didnt. I havent been there since 2015 (will be back in 2022 though!!)

ppete1975

I am not sure that Smuggler's Run would easily be able to get all 6 people into the photo, especially if those in the middle or rear may be turning their heads to face the panels/buttons on the side.
i think it would be cool to be one with video and john williams music, kind of like they do for 7dmt

Goofyernmost

Just a guess here, but I think that Disney has figured out it isn't near as profitable as it once was. Since cell phones can take pictures now the same quality as expensive cameras for a lot less money, they figured out that spending those big bucks for a picture with their eyes closed just isn't worth it anymore.

Movielover

do the new universal rides have them?

Fast and Furious did, but the original one was ironically taking photo's too fast and kept missing the slow moving buses.
They then replaced it with a slower camera but after 1 day of pictures full of bored, indifferent, and downright disgusted looking riders they thought the camera was malfunctioning again and turned it off.

;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom