Why Disneyland’s $1 billion Star Wars land isn’t a bust despite flat attendance - OCR/SCNG

DanielBB8

Galaxy's Edge seems like a knockoff Star Wars as if Disney couldn't afford actual Star Wars. That's why I avoided it. It didn't help that Disney's Sequel Trilogy obliterated whatever connection it had with the Prequel and Original Trilogy as if Disney was ashamed of it. Rise of Resistance appears to be huge hit, but it's like they put in their B-Team with Kylo Ren and Rey. Sorry, Darth Vadar, Luke Skywalker, and Princess/Senator Leia sells way better than these new characters. Batuu was omitted from Rise of Skywalker. We are now told to read the book about Batuu and Vi, who is a boring Rebel and not even a Jedi and who's only defining attribute is hiding in plain sight with obvious blue hair. She probably drinks lots of blue milk. She manages to keep it down and digesting it.

Absolute rubbish. This $1 Billion land isn't good enough to be featured in a Star Wars movie, but it's okay to be in a sequel book that few will accept as Star Wars canon. If it's not in the movie, it definitely isn't canon.

mickEblu

I Just think that if one is braving the idea of going to a theme park then they should expect to deal with the consequences. You just can’t have that many people in that environment all following the rules at all times. Social distancing won’t always be happening. People are going to take their masks off to eat and drink and it’s not always going to be in a designated area. If people are worried about it they should probably stay home until 2022.

I follow all the social distancing/ mask rules (more for others not so much myself anymore) when I’m out in public or running an errand. With that said I’m not sure I’m prepared to wear a mask all day long in the Summer heat so I’ll probably wait until at least Winter time to do anything like a theme park or whenever these rules are gone.

TP2000

Why where higher AP's offered a $79 gift cards and what were the qualifications to get one?

Disneyland's 2009 promotion was "Get In Free On Your Birthday!". Anyone could just show up at a ticket booth on your birthday, show the CM a valid government ID, and they'd give you a free one-day, one-park ticket that was valid that day only.

But if you had a Premium AP, you already had admission to both parks 365 days per year, so you already got in on your birthday. For those Premium AP's, you went to Guest Services and showed your ID and they gave you a $79 Disney gift card, because that was the cost of a one day ticket in '09.

Ms. Luna's birthday fell on a blockout date for her lower level AP, so she was given a free ticket to enter the park on her birthday. But she wanted the cash. And then she cried. And then her journalist husband, Brady McDonald, wrote all about how mean Disneyland was in the newspaper. It was epic. Also hysterically funny.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Disneyland's 2009 promotion was "Get In Free On Your Birthday!". Anyone could just show up at a ticket booth on your birthday, show the CM a valid government ID, and they'd give you a free one-day, one-park ticket that was valid that day only.

But if you had a Premium AP, you already had admission to both parks 365 days per year, so you already got in on your birthday. For those Premium AP's, you went to Guest Services and showed your ID and they gave you a $79 Disney gift card, because that was the cost of a one day ticket in '09.

Ms. Luna's birthday fell on a blockout date for her lower level AP, so she was given a free ticket to enter the park on her birthday. But she wanted the cash. And then she cried. And then her journalist husband, Brady McDonald, wrote all about how mean Disneyland was in the newspaper. It was epic. Also hysterically funny.
Oh so she got a free ticket and wanted the gift card on top of that? yeah that's not happening lady. sounds like both her and her husband were trying to knowingly break the rules, got called out for it, then threw a temper tantrum.

DanielBB8

The Star Wars galaxy is too big to be represented at a theme park merely by one of the planets seen from a movie. I think the Batuu solution was perfect.
Solution to what? Batuu is pretty much is a sequel trilogy land and that's what Iger wanted after he seen the outtakes from "The Force Awakens". Galaxy's Edge was originally conceived as an Original Trilogy land that will shifted into Sequel Trilogy. If they created it as Mos Eisley, it is by definition Star Wars with the iconic Millennium Falcon. Instead, MF is a time shifted attraction that takes from Solo that no one has seen with the coaxium storyline, and Han Solo died in The Force Awakens. Such a wonderful compromise!!!

mlayton144

Star Wars is (I should say was) awesome. It has so many great characters, environments, and themes to draw off of.

Disney used to be the kings of themed entertainment. Yet their blockbuster Star Tours attraction from 1986 has more soul and fun than the entire land. Rise is a great ride though.

But a huge land that is the size of 1/3rd of Disneyland and has no heart and soul or charm? That's insane to me.

The only show is a guy in a uniform getting yelled at by Kylo Ren and then the 2 storm troopers from Tommorowland harassing people. Not one alien to interact with and it took them 5 months to add R2D2, which is incredibly rare to see.

For a Star Wars Land with a setting like this I would LOVE to see walk around aliens, droids, criminals getting into battles with their blasters, criminals fighting storm troopers, etc.

I mean is it too much to ask for Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Darth Vader in a Star Wars Land?

the saddest part of this is that Disney could introduce Luke , Leia, Solo tomorrow if they wanted to - they own all rights - they are just too damned stupid to do it

smooch

In all fairness, HP at USH was met with a yawn too. Probably because it opened years later there. You do have a good point.

The land needed life. It needed roaming droids and aliens. The stationary stuff should have moved. There should have been music. There should have been Force powers via the phone or lightsaber. There should have been live entertainment (Jedi Training Academy). All of it got cut for expensive upcharge experiences. Both rides should have opened together.

The same thing will happen to DCA's Avengers Campus.

The one thing I am so disappointed in is the lack of actual interaction. I've been saying it since I went to Diagon Alley / Hogsmeade last year but I was hoping Disney would incorporate something similar to the wands. It could have been integrated somehow into the lightsabers but also, since Disney says the park is canon and that's why lightsabers at Savi's are put in that activation machine they could've sold something you put on your hand / wrist that helps channel Force powers and make it function the way the wands do. They should have had the ability to levitate the ships since they're behind the fences, they should've been against the wall and attached to mechanisms to levitate the ship. Maybe a little bit of music plays when it happens so it's audio and visual. Implement things like that. Instead we get a phone app you have to play at a theme park just to make some lights flash and beep. Also I truly can't wrap my mind around the fact that they didn't build a theate / stage for Jedi Training Academy and instead left it in Tomorrowland. Build something down a small path, make it a "hidden training school" where kids can go to learn to be a Jedi. It's asinine how Disney has thrown away the potential for so many fun Star Wars activities like lightsaber fights and Force powers but decided we should "live a canon Star Wars adventure" which means we have to just be normal humans with no Force ability. People don't dream of being a nobody in an outpost in the Star Wars universe, they want to be a Jedi or Sith and use the Force and have fun. But their heads are so far up their rumps that they think people want a theme park land to be canon for some arbitrary reason that limits their choices in what they can do rather than to be a fun place to go play pretend and have fun.

mickEblu

the saddest part of this is that Disney could introduce Luke , Leia, Solo tomorrow if they wanted to - they own all rights - they are just too damned stupid to do it

See I don’t even think it’s Luke Leia and Han that are missing per say. It’s all the iconic Star Wars stuff like lightsaber duels, Jedi v Sith, aliens/ droids etc.

Personally seeing some bad look alike CMs walking around wouldn’t really do anything for me. I’ll take some Yoda, Ewoks and C3P0 though

waltography

I was just reminded of the Legends of Frontierland game they had a while back, and I'm really disappointed that it never seemed to be integrated into the land despite it feeling like a test for SWGE. (Or if it did end up in the land, it was so watered down in the form of the app that the experience designers drew the exact wrong conclusions from the field test.)

I honestly doubt they're going to stick with the time-lock in the future; it seems like a question of when they'll give up the pretense than if.

SoCalMort

I was just reminded of the Legends of Frontierland game they had a while back, and I'm really disappointed that it never seemed to be integrated into the land despite it feeling like a test for SWGE....

From the article below, near the end:

...But giving guests a more active role is far from an exact science.

In 2014, Disneyland for instance introduced the live-action role-playing game the Legends of Frontierland. For several weeks, visitors were allowed to essentially battle for control of a fictional town set within the park’s vision of the Old West. Players could complete various tasks in the hopes of amassing little wooden tokens, “bits,” which could be used to buy land or bribe others. The team with the most land would win.

Today, Trowbridge describes Legends of Frontierland as a “spectacular failure.” The game’s economy system quickly proved troublesome. It lacked rules, and therefore players made their own. Trowbridge said guests were stealing latex gloves from food stands and blowing them up to create makeshift chickens in the hopes of selling them for bits.

“Guests were actually like, ‘Hey! Who wants to buy my chicken?’” Trowbridge says. “It was amazing to watch how much our guests wanted to play — that part was clear. But we also realized an in-game economy is a very tricky thing to manage. As an experiment, it was incredibly successful. As a prototype of ‘could we build this thing’ it was completely unsustainable.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom