Why did they install "Starry-o-Phonic" sound on Space Mountain...

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
...only to have the music so quiet that most people don't even know its there if they don't know to listen for it? The wooshing sound effects are a nice enhancement, at least, but this has bugged me ever since they installed the feature. Also, the return tunnel's sound effect has been out of sync ever since the refurbishment - its unfathomable that an error like that would go uncorrected for that long.

That kind of thing bothers me, and we see more and more of it - some sort of "enhancement" is made to a ride while the existing effects need attention, and then that "enhancement" isn't attempted to be properly tweaked or fixed. Another recent example would be the mermaids at POTC, which work intermittently and were not added seamlessly - meanwhile the animatronics themselves in the ride are operating with limited movement and need attention.

And also I guess this goes on to one of my bigger annoyances regarding WDW show quality in general - WDW attractions tend to have poorly balanced or too quiet of audio levels! If you go to Universal, everything sounds great. Sound quality and loudness is one of those things that really engrosses you in the experience. Now, a natural argument to that is "Universal isn't aiming for young children, so their rides will be louder and more aggressive." Well, I'd be inclined to agree with that, but DLR's sound levels are basically just as loud as UOR's.

When I ride a ride, I want to be fully engrossed in that ride. You don't pay to see a movie in a theater only to have the sound set at a quieter "comfortable" level... you pay so you can experience that movie in the most engrossing way possible. Rides should be the same way. Just the other day on Spaceship Earth I noticed how the whir of the ride motors and clanking of the vehicles was the most prevalent sound. I couldn't help but note how much more engrossing the experience would be if the sounds around you were loud enough to envelop you as well as block out the ride mechanical noises.

That's not to say that some rides don't sound great though - for instance, Test Track 2.0 has noticably louder sound effects and onboard audio than before and I feel that that enhances the experience. Star Tours sounds pretty great. It's a small world (ironically) sounds great currently. Dinosaur and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster would not be perceived as anywhere near as thrilling as they are without their loud audio.

Yet still, there are many attractions that are too quiet.

Thoughts?

Dinosaur and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster would not be perceived as anywhere near as thrilling as they are without their loud audio.

Yet still, there are many attractions that are too quiet.

Thoughts?

The audio in Rock 'N' Roller Coaster is okay, but the Dinosaur ride, not really very loud.. Although the T-rex popping it's head out almost got me out of my seat!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've argued about Space Mountains audio. I rode the day it was switched on and the music was really pretty good. Apparently it's an argument between Ops and WDI. Local Ops turn it up, WDI say its not an authorised enhancement and knock it back down.

I've argued about Space Mountains audio. I rode the day it was switched on and the music was really pretty good. Apparently it's an argument between Ops and WDI. Local Ops turn it up, WDI say its not an authorised enhancement and knock it back down.
I think most of it is because of guests with 'sensitive ears' or some kind of nonsense like that. That's just what I'm guessing.

Djali999

The installation of the speakers was botched. During testing the speakers were arranged in such a way that the sound level was consistent and clear, and on the strength of this test WDI was given the money to do it for real. The construction crews did not install the speakers to specification and the amp on the Standby side of the load area in particular was entirely botched. This can be fixed in the future, although money is not forthcoming right now for that to happen.

I may or may not have replied to this thread just to have two ponies in a row on a Disney board.

The installation of the speakers was botched. During testing the speakers were arranged in such a way that the sound level was consistent and clear, and on the strength of this test WDI was given the money to do it for real. The construction crews did not install the speakers to specification and the amp on the Standby side of the load area in particular was entirely botched. This can be fixed in the future, although money is not forthcoming right now for that to happen.

I may or may not have replied to this thread just to have two ponies in a row on a Disney board.
My jaw dropped when I saw your avatar. ;o

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I LOVE the sound effects. SM is the one attraction in Orlando that still scares me. No matter how many times I see it with the lights on, I'm CERTAIN that my head is gonna get chopped off, and the sound effects are a big part of that. The music, however, is practically non-existent. I do wish it were actually, I dunno... audible.

Cosmic Commando

Isn't that one of the benefits of using outside contractors? You can make them fix their screwups as opposed to eating the cost if it's your employees that screw up?

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I think most of it is because of guests with 'sensitive ears' or some kind of nonsense like that. That's just what I'm guessing.
Like I said in the OP, that is what people will most likely believe - "its Disney so they have it turned down" - but if that were true then there wouldn't be rides that ARE very loud. Or basically everything at DLR being loud.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Well, SM is loud and people are often times screaming the whole time. Don't see the problem with turning up the audio a bit, but I guess WDI does.

bethymouse

I don't see any way around it. Space Mountain is loud in general. Actually most indoor coasters are fairly loud, unless engineering is able to "fix" that kind of problem. I dunno>?:confused:

Alektronic

Isn't that one of the benefits of using outside contractors? You can make them fix their screwups as opposed to eating the cost if it's your employees that screw up?

If management did their job correctly then maybe, but what usually happens when a job or a project happens, especially when it is on equipment that you work on the time. They used to pay some CM's overtime and get the job done right the first time because you know the building, attraction, or ride and know has to be done because if you don't do it right YOU WILL be coming back to redo it, but most guys take pride in their work and do a good job because it their bldg or ride.

But outside contractors have never been in that bldg before and just have a set of prints, usually just one foreman and a bunch of helpers and they have to translate that into Spanish first then attempt to do the job. Then when it is done wrong, then does management make them come back and do it again? NO. They make the CM's who originally could have the job to go in and redo it and fix it or just leave it like it is. So it is Bad Management all the way around.

Virtual Toad

Let's see.

Botched opportunity to add on-board audio? Check.

Most of the view removed for guests on the TTA? Check.

Expensive effects installed in the queue ceiling but 1/2 of the guests never get to see them because they're forced for the first time in the attraction's history to walk down a brightly-lit unthemed hallway instead? Check.

Sounds like exactly what we've come to expect from TDO's refurbishment efforts.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Dinosaur ride, not really very loud.
It used to be so overwhelmingly loud that guests just couldn't enjoy the ride.:(
Well, yes, it did used to be louder, a bit much for a scary Disney ride where dinosaurs chase you, but it still sounds loud and clear enough to fully immerse you in the story and setting.

Another example I can think of is Tower of Terror. It has 4 different load shafts so there are four possible "show qualities." Lately some shafts sound fine while others are so faint you can barely hear what Rod is saying.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Another example I can think of is Tower of Terror. It has 4 different load shafts so there are four possible "show qualities." Lately some shafts sound fine while others are so faint you can barely hear what Rod is saying.
Audio levels and sync at tower have been messed up for a few years now since they went solid state. It's a known issue that won't be fixed anytime soon.

AndyS2992

I really like the music, I think it adds a more fun and adventurous atmosphere to the ride. It's also nice to listen to while travelling through on the Peoplemover.

But yes it is too quiet and you wouldn't notice it unless it was pointed out beforehand I don't think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom