Why did they change Mission:Space?

ThatMouse

They didn't even pay Owen for the Cars attraction. No way they are going to shell out money for Gary when the attraction I guess is NOT based on the 2000 movie Mission to Mars? Even though all the props and sets are there?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm not going to quote the message that will likely be removed.

Let's just say that the reason the pre-recorded spiel for Mission Space was changed was because the Green side was being completely changed from a barely moving copy of the Orange Mission to Mars to a brand new Green Mission of orbiting Earth. You can't say "Good luck, Earth team!" to the Orange Mission.

Not because of a diversity quota.

At the time, the attendance of Mission Space was waning, so this change was to create more interest in the ride and make use of the capsules' ability to yaw and pitch to tell a new story. Also, the video quality for the Orange Mission was upgraded in the ride and the pre-show.

But all this has been revealed already in this thread if one chooses to read it and not 'make a guess' that's sadly wrong, very sad indeed.

Last edited:

HMF

So, why did they change this? I know this is an old topic, but listening to the ride thru of the original one with Gary Sinise, it was great. I haven't been on this ride since they updated it. Was an improvement or change needed?
Nothing at WDW is immune from change for better or worse.

Captain Neo

mission space has always been a really halfassed experience. Should have just rennnovated horizons it was far more iconic and had a much cooler building

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The preshow and Mars mission are exactly the same script, just from a new narrator, and Gina Torres delivers it quite well. Nothing has changed negatively unless you’re a relative or superfan of Gary Sinese. It helps that the new one is higher video quality.
The earth mission side has at least one new line, so, a new recording had to be made.

Figments Friend

I like the new experience, but do miss Gary and getting to go to Mars.
I cannot do Team Orange, so it has only ever been Team Green for me over the years.

I remember the first time I experienced the revised destination for Team Green.
At first I was a little disappointed I did not ‘get to go to Mars’ again, but the new experience grew on me.

The change I felt was done simply because Team Green has always been the lesser intense experience.
So it makes sense to just do a ‘orbit shot’ around the Earth, as in reality that is a less intense experience.

Now being blasted out into space, doing a gravity assist slingshot around the moon, and heading towards Mars…?
Yeah, much more involved and justifies a more intense experience.

So the mission destination changes for the two experiences being offered now makes more sense.
A more befitting ‘themed’ story now for both lesser intense and more intense versions.
Also gets Guests to try out both!

-

Cmdr_Crimson

One thing for certain that changed was the removal of the song Destiny. Granted it is an okay song it's also the only other song based around a pavillion...However, many CM's have coequally called this "The Banshee song" due to it's repetitive play and loudness of said singer in the exit area and it was soon silenced after that and never played again.

vikescaper

Mission: Space used to be a must do for me but I think I have been on it once or twice since the parks reopened. While I appreciate the updated graphics, I was hoping that they would have changed the mission somewhat. I did try the new green mission and that was a one and done for me.

DisneyFanatic12

Just an interesting observation, while the “Green Mission” as advertised as “non-spinning”, it does still spin. Now, it only spins twice (as in 2x 360°), and the spinning doesn’t affect G’s or anything, but it’s an interesting fun fact. General reasoning is so the ride could still be switched back to Orange if needed, and spinning twice each ride through likely keeps the motor and the pole primed and in good shape and what not.

Goofyernmost

mission space has always been a really halfassed experience. Should have just rennnovated horizons it was far more iconic and had a much cooler building
Hey, I miss a lot of thing too, but after 24 years isn't about time to move on. I have ridden Mission Space every time I have been to EPCOT over many years, both Orange and Green. I liked both , a lot, but it isn't because the introduction has been changed but the fact that they changed the green side to a lesser experience is what is the huge mistake concerning all these years of MS's existence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom