Why California is the TRUE Theme Park Capital of the World.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
It is a no-brainer...

Most Theme Parks in the USA started in California, including the First, Knott's Berry Farm.
(Chains started - SeaWorld, Disney, Universal, Palace Entertainment and LEGOLAND in the US)

Bud Hurlbut designed and built the Calico Mine Train,
the first authentic "dark" amusement ride. He also designed the first Log Flume Ride.

More Theme Parks and more variety.

More unique Amusement parks.

More Roller Coasters

More Water Parks

More variety in non-Theme/Amusement Park tourist attractions

Much better weather.

I wrote this for TripAdvisor.

California is home to many well known and iconic Amusement and Theme Parks. Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park is America's 1st Theme Park, which started due to the popularity of Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant. And of course, the original Disneyland was the first of many theme parks now run by Disney around the world, placed in the center of the Southern California region.

In Northern California, California's Great America is located in Santa Clara. It's a park that has changed over the years, opening as Marriott's Great America in 1976 (as a traditional Amusement park) and now has added thrills and a water park -- all for one admission price. It is currently owned and operated by the Cedar Fair Entertainment Company and shares its parking lot with the new Levi's Stadium -- home of the San Francisco 49'ers Football team plus other sports and entertainment events,

https://www.cagreatamerica.com/

Also in the Bay area, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo is a park that started as an aquatic animal park, and has now morphed into a park with a zoo with many land mammal's like elephants and giraffes, but still featuring Dolphins and Killer Whales, plus a selection of roller coasters and other rides. The park opened in 1968 in Redwood City and then moved about 55 miles to Vallejo in 1985, changing its name from 'Marine World' in 2007.

http://www.sixflags.com/discoveryKing...

The newest park in Northern California is a kids-friendly park named Gilroy Gardens (formerly Bonfante Gardens) located in Gilroy. The main theme is horticulture, as it is home of the famous "Circus Trees". The grounds are beautiful, plus there are a bunch of rides that all can enjoy, but it's mainly for families. It is managed by the Cedar Fair Entertainment Company.

http://www.gilroygardens.org/

A bit smaller, but well known is the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, a traditional amusement area found along the Pacific Ocean. Also in the area is a small roadside attraction called the Mystery Spot, which is worth a stop if you have a rental car.

http://www.beachboardwalk.com/

Then there is a large selection of Amusement/Theme Parks in Southern California.

Going from North to South.

Six Flags Magic Mountain is a large amusement park packed with thrill rides. It has 18 roller coasters (more than any other location in the world) and many other rides and attractions, it is most famous for being the "Walley World" that the Griswold's wanted to visit in "National Lampoon's Vacation" movie. Opened in 1971, it is celebrating over 40 years of keeping people of all ages happy. It also has a lot of Family attractions, including lands based on Bugs Bunny and his Friends, and other areas. It, also, has a water park next door, Hurricane Harbor (Separate admission required.)

http://www.sixflags.com/magicMountain...

Universal Studios Hollywood opened in 1964, and is most well known for the Studio Tour that takes you into the backlot of the studio for a 'drive by' of famous exterior sets and studio buildings. Also included in this 50-minute attraction are a number of 'special effects' that the tram drives through to the delight of those onboard. The Park also has movie-themed rides and live shows. In 2016, they opened up the new "Wizardly World of Harry Potter" section of the park. There is a shopping, dining and entertainment complex next door called Universal CityWalk.

http://www.universalstudioshollywood....

The Knott's Berry Farm is home of America's 1st Theme Park. Adjacent to the theme park is a water park (Knott's Soak City Orange County), and a shopping and dining area called California Marketplace, whose main tenant is the World Famous Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant. These three attractions are dubbed Knotts Southern California Resort. Also located on the property is a Hotel, and a true recreation of Independence Hall. Knott's Berry Farm has one of the best rated wooden roller coasters, Ghostrider, along with many other coasters, plus much more, including Camp Snoopy for kids.

http://www.knotts.com

Disneyland, the park built by Walt, is the most famous Theme Park location in the state. Currently the location has three Disney-owned hotels, a shopping and dining mall called Downtown Disney plus two Theme Parks. Disneyland is the famous one upon which Walt Disney risked his reputation and empire. It was a good bet, as the Park has been very popular since opening day, July 17th, 1955. A second Park, Disney California Adventure opened in February of 2001. It has grown and changed since the opening. A major addition opened in the Summer of 2012 that addressed some of the major issues but it is still smaller and has fewer attractions than Disneyland Park.

http://www.disneyland.com

In North San Diego County, the LEGOLAND Resort is located in Carlsbad. This park is mainly designed for kids and pre-teens, as well as for LEGO fans of all ages. You will not find many thrills here, but you will find a lot of rides and attractions that the family can enjoy together. Consists of three different gates, the main "ride" park, a water park, and the SEALIFE Aquarium.

http://california.legoland.com/

Then there is SeaWorld San Diego, which opened in 1964 as an marine zoological park along the edge of Mission Bay. It has grown and now offers rides and attractions, along with many marine animal shows.

http://seaworldparks.com/en/seaworld-...

Some would call the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park as Theme Parks, as they both offer rides and other types of attractions, such as Ziplines along with the traditional animal displays.

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/

Last edited:

dweezil78

I think it's a pretty close tie between California and Florida. Florida may lose some points for the weather and lack of varied scenery though (AKA almost entirely flat). But if we're looking at theme parks, you have the entire WDW property which we have nothing in California to compare it to + the Universal Resort which is also pretty substantial. Add to that a way better Sea World + Discovery Cove, a new Lego Land, and then Busch Gardens a few hour away, you've got some pretty fierce competition.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
OK, so Florida is a nice place to visit, but California has a much stronger History with Theme Parks.

Heck, the original Universal Studios Tour was back in 1915, over 100 years ago.

San Diego Zoo started around the time, morphing out of the 1915 Panama-California Exposition.

The Beachside/Pier Amusement parks of the 1920's and their wooden Roller Coasters, a few of which remain operating.

Jungleland USA in 1926.

Knott's opened its park area in 1940.

Disneyland opened on July 18th, 1955.

In the 1950's and 60's, you got SeaWorld, Marineland and Marine World.

Magic Mountain, at the time a unique park opened in 1971.

The Marriott Chain of parks started with California's Great America in 1976.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
OK, so Florida is a nice place to visit, but California has a much stronger History with Theme Parks.

San Diego Zoo started around the time, morphing out of the 1915 Panama-California Exposition.

The Beachside/Pier Amusement parks of the 1920's and their wooden Roller Coasters, a few of which remain operating.

Jungleland USA in 1926.

Point of correct, Marriott's created and built two sister parks (the only ones ever built by Marriott's) at the same time with staggered openings of March and May in 1976. In March 76 the Santa Clara site opened up and in May the Gurnee Illinois site opened. So while Santa Clara may have opened technically first, they were both created at the same time.

They were both called Marriott's Great America and were almost identical with only a few differences. Both were sold in the 80s and are still opened today but under different owners, Santa Clara is owned by Cedar Fair while Gurnee is owned by Six Flags. Santa Clara has had more owners, even being owned by Paramount at one time which is how Cedar Fair got it.

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

Well FL is the capital because it has a higher aggregate of attendance numbers. It may have fewer parks but I'd argue the better theme parks and water parks are in FL. Keep in mind Disney has 1/3 of their property still to go according to the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. You can argue DL is the best single theme park in the US but overall FL has better quality parks. DIS and even UNI are leagues better in quality than most of the regional stuff in CA. In CA aside from Disneyland it's 90% roller coasters. Unthemed metal hulks that aren't really interesting. If you've seen one you've seen all of the big unthemed RCs.

dweezil78

Jungleland USA in 1926.

Ok, California may have had some old theme parks...but I don't know that it's worthy of being declared the 'Theme Park Capital of the World.' Current parks aside, Florida has seen a TON of theme parks come and go over the years as well (along with other weird/interesting tourist traps/attractions.)

Just off the top of my head... there's been Cypress Gardens, Circus World (later Boardwalk and Baseball), Pirates World, Storyland, Bibleland, and on and on and on.
You can see a pretty exhaustive list of all these places here - http://www.lostparks.com/thelist.html

It's fun to look at some of these places -- it's crazy how many have existed over the years!

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

Darkbeer1, since you are pretty knowledgable about amusement parks or older entertainment locations would you happen to know or remember the name of the place that was located off the 60 freeway. I remember it having entertainment and water rides as well as a huge volcano. I believe it was Off Potrero Grande drive just north of Montebello in Monterey Park? I remember it having several structures that had thatch roofs and it was a Tahitian inspired club and entertainment area. very popular in the 60's and very early 70's. I believe it was called the Tikis but can't remember for sure

Last edited:

UpAllNight

I’ll report back my findings after my first trip to California this year :)

Florida will always be ‘my place’ but I’m mega excited to see the Cali Parks, plus many of the various other California offerings.

One thing I will say is that in Florida, I’m not interested in anything beyond the Parks/waterparks/entertainment. California is another story altogether. We’ve really had to hone in on one area and plan a separate trip to Northern California in the future.

We’re doing 2 weeks and will be visiting Disneyland, DCA, Knotts and I’ve recently decided to combine a few other nearby activities with a part day in USH so we’ll be doing maybe 6 or 7 out of 14 days in the parks. Compared to 21 out of 21 days on our recent trip to Florida.

Mawg

Saying that someplace is the capital of something because that is where it started is crazy. By comparison, this would mean Albuquerque is the tech capital of the world because it is where Bill Gates and Paul Allen started Microsoft.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Saying that someplace is the capital of something because that is where it started is crazy. By comparison, this would mean Albuquerque is the tech capital of the world because it is where Bill Gates and Paul Allen started Microsoft.

Except that tech started long before Bill Gates and Paul Allen were even born. Silicon Valley has long been considered the tech capital of the world dating back to the 1930s and some say earlier.

Interesting fact, one of HPs (Hewlett-Packard in their garage in Palo Alto) earliest customers was Walt Disney Productions in the late 1930s.

Disneyhead'71

Orlando is the "Theme Park Capitol of the World".

But serious fans eventually make the pilgrimage West for Knott's, Magic Mtn., and Disneyland.

I am a huge fan of the '70s major parks like Kings Island, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and Magic Mtn. And also historical parks like Kennywood and Cedar Point.

Travel Junkie

The attendance numbers bare out Central Florida being #1. And as this list shows, there is not much else positive going on in the state. (If you don't care to click over out of 50 states Florida is ranked 50. California is 9.) People primarily go to Central Florida for theme parks where theme parks in So Cal are local based or visitors coming for much more than theme parks. Central Florida is the theme park mecca.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Orlando is the "Theme Park Capitol of the World".

Why? Because Disney and Universal built parks there?

If so, the Japan should get the title because they have better parks.

Maybe the water park with the most guests should be called Surf City due to its wave machine.

dweezil78

Why? Because Disney and Universal built parks there?

If so, the Japan should get the title because they have better parks.

Maybe the water park with the most guests should be called Surf City due to its wave machine.

Sorry Mr. Beer, I think you're going to be hard pressed to win this fight. People visit Florida BECAUSE of the theme parks there. I don't think there are any other states that can make that claim so confidently. At least half of the Top 10 most attended parks in the world are in Florida -- and for good reason, they are amazing parks. Are they the best parks? Thats of course a subjective matter.

If you told a random stranger you were going to Florida for vacation, they'd probably ask if you were going to Disney World. Florida is a state synonymous with theme parks (and retirement homes). California is a state synonymous with, well, being California and all the great amazing thing it has to offer as a state.

cheezbat

The attendance numbers bare out Central Florida being #1. And as this list shows, there is not much else positive going on in the state. (If you don't care to click over out of 50 states Florida is ranked 50. California is 9.) People primarily go to Central Florida for theme parks where theme parks in So Cal are local based or visitors coming for much more than theme parks. Central Florida is the theme park mecca.
That list is a joke. Anyone who would put Michigan at number one must be crazy.

That being said, while the theme parks are one of the biggest draws to Florida, the beaches all over the state area pretty much draw millions too.

Phroobar

That list is a joke. Anyone who would put Michigan at number one must be crazy.

That being said, while the theme parks are one of the biggest draws to Florida, the beaches all over the state area pretty much draw millions too.
Well you got to admit topless co-eds at Fort Lauderdale has it charms.

Hattieboxghost110

Yup, I came to this conclusion last year. California takes the crown as the theme park capital of the world. There are several reasons for this. In Florida/Orlando, even though there are 9 major theme/amusement parks, they are owned by only 4 chains. Disney/Universal/Seaworld/Legoland. Disney is the granddaddy of them all.

The market dominance of these chains do not allow for smaller & charming amusement/theme parks to exist. Fun Spot is pretty much all that is left. They have essentially monopolized the industry in Florida & have gobbled up all their competition.

It's all pretty sad. There has been some really cool theme parks in Florida that have gone out of business due to Disney crushing them. Six Gun Territory, Boardwalk & Baseball, Jungleland Zoo, etc. Check out this cool article by WDW Info entitled, "The Struggle to Survive in Orlando Under Disney's & Universal's Shadow."

http://www.wdwinfo.com/history/the-...n-orlando-under-disney-and-universals-shadow/

This is not true in California. Disney does not have the market dominance in CA that it does in FL. In addition to Disney/Universal/Seaworld/Legoland, there is also Cedar Fair (Knott's/Great America) & Six Flags (Magic Mountain/Discovery Kingdom), along with a bunch of other amusement parks that are independently owned.

What this means is that not only is there more QUANTITY of parks, but VARIETY that meets different entertainment NEEDS. Another advantage of the CA parks is AFFORDABILITY. Speaking as a parent, I don't always want to drop $100 per ticket to go to Disney, but may want to go to somewhere like Pacific Park, an amusement park on the pier that is free and only charges for the rides I want to get on.

Add to this list the better WEATHER, SCENERY & HISTORY, it's very clear as to where the theme park capital is located. Also, the way the theme parks in Florida are going, they are all becoming the "Magic Kingdom." Just look at Epcot & DHS.

Piece of advice...Thread lightly Darkbeer. I was recently BLASTED with school yard bully taunts for having the nerve to say the Hogwarts Castle in USH is the better castle. Our esteemed TP2000 is constantly being attacked for saying SWL at DL Resort will be a slightly better experience. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom