Why are you allowed to keep your bag between the bag check and the metal detector?

cdd89

Original Poster
Unlike at DLP, Universal and every airport in the world, WDW returns your bag to you in the window after you have had your bag searched but before you go through the metal detector.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why this ridiculous security risk is ignored by WDW?

LUVofDIS

my last trip, which was late September, I went through the Metal detector 43% of the time (3 out of 7 times). I agree, it is weird that you get your bag back.

Goofyernmost

my last trip, which was late September, I went through the Metal detector 43% of the time (3 out of 7 times). I agree, it is weird that you get your bag back.
Just curious because I am not sure what the problem is with that. The bag has already been checked and unless you stand there in front of everybody and transfer stuff from your pockets to the bag before going through the detector, what is going to happen that is such a huge security risk? Wouldn't you have to hold the bag while your are going through the detector? If so, wouldn't that be a step up security setup? Besides it would be a miracle if there weren't a bunch of tourist looking people watching everyone between the two locations.

lazyboy97o

While I'm not suggesting it's 100% effective, you don't hear about many of the successes.
That makes no sense. Publicizing the success reinforces the need for the security as a counter for their own documents that still show greater than 80% failure rates.

Chef Mickey

The airport security that fails its own testing far more than it passes?
It’s still FAR better than WDW, just bc everyone walks through a metal detector and all bags are scanned.

Just bc airport security isn’t perfect, doesn’t mean WDW is even close to as good.

lazyboy97o

It’s still FAR better than WDW, just bc everyone walks through a metal detector and all bags are scanned.

Just bc airport security isn’t perfect, doesn’t mean WDW is even close to as good.
Airport security is not even in the same ballpark as “not perfect.” We’re talking about a system that fails more than 80% of its own testing. In any other field that isn’t even close to mediocre performance, much less perfect performance.

Goofyernmost

Because it's security theater. It's not actually meant to keep you safe, just to give you the feeling of safety.
No, it's a system, real or not, I still don't know what is perceived as a higher security risk because they give you back the bag before you pass through the Detector? What is imagined will happen because of that procedure?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
No, it's a system, real or not, I still don't know what is perceived as a higher security risk because they give you back the bag before you pass through the Detector? What is imagined will happen because of that procedure?

Every guest not going through the detector is where the risk occurs - not the in between moment IF you are going through the metal detector.

But it's still security theater. Getting guns or explosives into the park, through security, is still easy.

BrerJon

Disney security theater is ineffective, super intrusive and frequently offensive. Last week a friend of mine had his medication bag tipped out and inspected at the Epcot gates to check it wasn't illegal drugs. That is taking above and beyond way too far in my view.

They should purely be checking for weapons, nothing else. We're not boarding a flight, we're boarding a steam train or Peoplemover, so checking for liquids or smuggled contraband is way, way out of their job remit for these wannabe TSA bullyboys.

On the matter of guns and knives, there are so many ways a determined terrorist could cause chaos at Disney, detectors or not - even a resort, the Boardwalk, or Disney Springs has plenty of targets without security checks, and there are plenty of ways to get something into a park illicitly (not going to give anyone ideas with details) if you really were determined.

That doesn't mean there should be no checks, if they stop a few concealed carries that's all good, but the hassle they put everyone through is total overkill compared to the actual risk mitigation it provides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom