Why are WDW resorts so expensive?

ddbowdoin

My last trip was May of 2010 and I have to say that I made out like a complete bandit. A week, spent off site (1 mile from parks) and tickets for 1K total. That figure included a 7 day park hopper, direct flights (via logan, jet blue), lodging (free breakfast is beyond clutch), car rental, and 14 a day parking fee's at the park. The first day landing we went straight to Publix, picked up the essentials and each day we brought deli sandwiches. Boars head meats, quality bread selection, and spreads simply outmatches any choices from the quick dining options at Disney. I'm 25, not 12... how many days in a row can I eat chicken fingers and french fries?

Even at the value level, I am seeing prices between 1375 and 1500 without airfare! From what I have read, the resorts at this level should really not be considered resorts and are more like hotels. How do people get deals, because I check frequently and am on many emails lists, and still there's no way I can justify spending the money inside the park when so many options outside are close and cheap. Now, I don't have a family so the magic of the resorts will be considered once I have little ones.

I was just wondering how people feel about the value of the resort compared to staying outside.

loveofamouse

I hear ya. We've stayed at Value resorts for the last 7yrs. I will have to say the bang for the buck isn't there. This time around, I'm looking at the vacation homes. I think it says something when you can rent a HOUSE for the same price as the value or mod rooms lol. I've stood for the magic of staying on prop for years but it is getting to the point that I want to scream. lol The economy is going down the toilet. People are losing jobs and barely affording groceries. Many ahve lost their homes. Yet, theme parks (as it's not just disney), hotels, flights, vacations are all driving their prices up

Upvote 0

Lisalyn

If all you're getting at WDW is chicken fingers and fries then you are missing out on some wonderful "real" food! But it is at a cost, which is why we simply will not go without a dining plan. I don't think I'd enjoy it as much if we only had the choice to eat at quick service places. :(

As for the hotels, we loved the Pop Century for the value but maybe you need to experience a moderate or deluxe to see why people pay the prices they do. We've stayed in all three and have loved all of them. I will say we all did enjoy the deluxe the most, however. :king:

We're just "regular" people. No corporate or crazy high paying jobs here, but we go all out because we only go every other year. It's great to experience a luxury we don't experience in our every day lives. I wouldn't even consider taking our own food to the parks to eat, that's not a vacation to me. I can have a Boar's Head sandwich on Publix deli bread anytime I want at home, I can't have sticky toffee pudding! :slurp:

In the end, I guess it's what you make of it. To me, it's only money. We may be broke when we get home but I wouldn't trade the memories we make at the parks, hotel or restaurants for all the money in the world. :)

YEP! I have to agree with Tomi here. Disney has oodles of food choices and even at the counter service restaurants...many items besides just chicken fingers and fries. TONS of options! And healthy ones also. The value resorts are value resorts BUT in the end, I pay for the "luxury" of staying on property at a Value, experiencing the theming of the property, having somebody tell me to "Have a magical day" when I buy a cup of coffee or whatever....And in the end, as Tomi mentioned...it IS just money! I book early with a small down payment and take the year to pay it off prior to my arrival but in the end, it's all worth it. :)

Upvote 0

Flip83

They're expensive because people keep paying their inflated prices. I've seen a significant decline in pretty much everything Disney offers over the last few years and I think a lot of other long time Disney visitors notice the same thing. I won't pay deluxe prices unless I get a discount and if Disney isn't offering a savings, I won't go or I'll look at other options.

After our next trip we're taking a break from the mouse for a while.

Typically Disney gives discounts every year. We are going in 3 weeks, and if we book our trip while we are there, we get 40 % off Deluxe Resorts. Well, we will be getting married October of 2011 and we will be staying at Beach Club and Polynesian for MUCH less then it is at Regular price. So that's one promotion. Every year I get a Mailer sent to me for Discounted rates all throughout the year between certain dates, and a mailer for Free Dining every year. I mean, let's all not act like they don't try. Disney, like many other places out there, shouldn't be raising prices every year. I do hear what you're saying. It's crazy. There is no reason to do it, until they realize their attendance is raising. Their attendance hasn't been what it used to be. Sure, they still do very well, but they probably keep raising their quota, don't meet it, and so it's a "Down Year". In reality, they are still making millions.

As for the people who make sandwiches, instead of Quick Serves.... I have no issues with people who prefer to do that. It's just not how my family has done it. It would feel weird for me to do it. There are so many good quick serves out there...pricey? Yes, but it's expected. Typically we have always had a Dining Plan, so we don't care about prices once we're down there, because you are getting anything you want. And if you look at the breakdown of the Dining Plan for the price per person... you make out like a bandit. I know some people that go down to Disney, eat at all the same places we do and don't like getting the DIning Plan, because they look at their initial trip price go up and say "Oh it's not worth it". How dumb can you be? haha, if you go down and order a breakfast/lunch/Dinner/snacks you are spending so much money per day! If any of you have no issues with making sandwiches for lunch, buying muffins for the mornings or whatever and that's majority of your meals, that's great. Saving money, nothing wrong with that. It's just something we cannot do. We'll go to a Moderate or Deluxe and go for 7 nights, or sometimes we'll go to Pop Century and maybe stay 9 or 10 nights. I saw another great point with Disney Dining... you finish your meal and can just walk out right into a Disney Park. Nothing is better then going to an Amazing dinner at Ohana in Polynesian, then being able to take a Monorail to Magic Kingdom or Epcot. It just feels awesome. Just thinking about it now, I cannot WAIT for December 9th haha.

Now if there is some here who don't have a LOT of experience with Disney Dining because they go off property for Dinners or Breakfasts, I'd like to just share some places that you should definitely try if you haven't before

Breakfasts : Chef Mickey, Crystal Palace, Cape May Cafe, 1900 Park Fare

Dinners : Ohana, Teppan Edo (Epcot - Japan), La Cellier (although I feel it is NOT worth the recent bump to a Signature Dining), Cape May Cafe, 50s Prime Time, Rose and Crown.

But, As long as you enjoy your trip, that's all that matters.

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

I’ve been off-line and missed most of this discussion, but… I’m from Boston as well and where as restaurants like Ruth Christie’s, Morton or the Capitol Grille are great I can’t afford to eat there every day. Shula’s and some of the signature dining restaurants, Yachtsman, Jiko, California Grill and Citrico’s come to mind, are quite acceptable and enjoyable and comparable IMHO many of the non-signature WDW restaurants are also very good, enjoyable and equal to chain restaurants in the greater Boston area.
True a hamburger and fries will cost more in WDW than at home or outside the parks but try buying that same burger in Tokyo and see what it cost.
Finally as for the resorts, location, location, location comes to mind. I love being able to jump on a boat or the monorail and get right to where I am going. I done a lot of traveling in my life and in a lot of different circumstances, benefits like the DME and EMH are worth it to me.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I hear ya. We've stayed at Value resorts for the last 7yrs. I will have to say the bang for the buck isn't there. This time around, I'm looking at the vacation homes. I think it says something when you can rent a HOUSE for the same price as the value or mod rooms lol. I've stood for the magic of staying on prop for years but it is getting to the point that I want to scream. lol The economy is going down the toilet. People are losing jobs and barely affording groceries. Many ahve lost their homes. Yet, theme parks (as it's not just disney), hotels, flights, vacations are all driving their prices up

My parents rented a 4 bedroom house (w screened in pool) in Kissimmee for 2 weeks... it cost them the same as a week in a value resort... less magic but two weeks at the parks made it up for me.

Upvote 0

lebeau

My parents rented a 4 bedroom house (w screened in pool) in Kissimmee for 2 weeks... it cost them the same as a week in a value resort... less magic but two weeks at the parks made it up for me.

It's a trade off to be sure. And for some, one option or another may come out as a clear winner. But every time I sit down and start weighing pros and cons, they come out pretty evenly matched.

Perhaps when the kids are older, the convenience of staying on site will carry less weight.

Upvote 0

lebeau

Really? I figured with re-runs everyone would get it, right along with "I see nothing!"

Maybe it's the forums I frequent, but people usually think it's a reference to the X-Men character, Gambit.

It was actually a nickname I had in high school but indirectly it was a Hogan's Heroes reference.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's a trade off to be sure. And for some, one option or another may come out as a clear winner. But every time I sit down and start weighing pros and cons, they come out pretty evenly matched.

Perhaps when the kids are older, the convenience of staying on site will carry less weight.
If you regularly snort pixi dust like we do it won't make the first bit of difference. My wife and I have an adults only trip coming up in February and we will be on property at CS.

Upvote 0

lebeau

If you regularly snort pixi dust like we do it won't make the first bit of difference. My wife and I have an adults only trip coming up in February and we will be on property at CS.

I'm a pixie dust addict, but my wife isn't. She gets claustrophobic in Disney rooms and she doesn't like to be in the parks all day. I have to drag her kicking and screaming to Disney. She'd rather go to the beach and have a "relaxing" vacation. :shrug:

I asked her recently and she said she'd prefer stay on site next trip. But that's just cause the kids are young. When they are older, I'm not sure I'll be able to lure her back on site.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm a pixie dust addict, but my wife isn't. She gets claustrophobic in Disney rooms and she doesn't like to be in the parks all day. I have to drag her kicking and screaming to Disney. She'd rather go to the beach and have a "relaxing" vacation. :shrug:

I asked her recently and she said she'd prefer stay on site next trip. But that's just cause the kids are young. When they are older, I'm not sure I'll be able to lure her back on site.
I guess I am lucky because my wife is just as much of a Disney nut as I am. Whenever we get time alone we spend it at WDW. We are not even planning on going to the parks for this trip. The plan is to hit some of the signature restaurants we have been wanting to try and log some time in at Jellyrolls.

Upvote 0

lebeau

I guess I am lucky because my wife is just as much of a Disney nut as I am. Whenever we get time alone we spend it at WDW. We are not even planning on going to the parks for this trip. The plan is to hit some of the signature restaurants we have been wanting to try and log some time in at Jellyrolls.

Yep, you are a lucky one. (I'm lucky too, just not as it relates to Disney.) ;)

I tell this story all the time, so my apologies if you've heard it.

When my wife was planning the wedding, I was tasked with planning the honeymoon. My wife was a big Mickey fan, but had never been to WDW. I had been on a few daytrips as a kid, but I wasn't a fan. To tell the truth, I wasn't looking forward to going to Disney, but I figured I'd make the sacrifice for my wife.

We had a great time. But my wife's attidude is that she's been there, done that. So she kind of humors me by going at all.

Upvote 0

Funfy

My gf and her family are the exact opposite, they've only stayed on site and have never ventured outside... but they stay at Boardwalk and Beach Club so money isn't really tight in their world.

I suspect if this person remains your GF, then you will probably begin to understand why people stay on property. :ROFLOL:If she goes with you, I promise you once you do Boardwalk and Beach Club-going outside the property is not considered an option.

Enjoy the cheap days while you got them. BTW, if she becomes Disney Wife-and little ones come along, might want to look into DVC-if you go every year or two and she likes the deluxe resorts-the numbers will probably work for you! :wave:

We don't even run numbers anymore once we made the DVC committment-it fits our vacation style and we are happy and total Disney freaks!

Upvote 0

Patty16

You might want to consider staying at the Downtown Disney Resorts. You get all the benefits of staying on disney property but they are less money. Also for the adults they are within walking distance to Downtown. We were at the Hilton and it was very nice, they have the buses to all the parks and a very nice little market place to have breakfast at.

Upvote 0

lebeau

You might want to consider staying at the Downtown Disney Resorts. You get all the benefits of staying on disney property but they are less money. Also for the adults they are within walking distance to Downtown. We were at the Hilton and it was very nice, they have the buses to all the parks and a very nice little market place to have breakfast at.

Two families from my oldest daughter's soccer team took their first ever trip to Disney last month. I helped both families plan. By coincidence, both families were staying at the DTD Hilton. The feedback I got from both families (who have obviously never stayed on property) was positive.

The one question I have is this: are the savings really worth it? It doesn't appear to be any cheaper than actually staying on site. I guess the accomodations are better and that is the appeal?

Upvote 0

scottnj1966

Your right the resorts are expensive at Disney but it's not about the money for people that stay.

The overall feeling of staying, how they treat you, and just knowing you are close by it all. You also have all the transportation you need to get around Disney. And dont forget one of the best reasons, extra magic hours. That alone makes me like staying.

I also love the theming of some of their resorts. Polynesian, Port Orleans, Contemporary, to say the least.

Lots of surprises in some of the resorts, like at Port Orlean's you have free boat travel thru winding canals to and from Downtown Disney. That is pretty nice.

The Wilderness lodge is one of my favorites. It gives you the feeling of being far away from Florida, and it even has its own geyser.

I guess what I am trying to say is staying within the Disney resort gives you a complete imersion of fun and relaxtion without a worry at all.

and by the way, I do think it is all out of sight in pricing but as long as people keep paying it they will not lower it. I seem to always find a good deal since I am a passholder but they days of 99 dollar wilderness lodge rooms are gone.

Upvote 0

dizzney

I mean, hey... I don't want to hate of anyone but I see the pictures posted and people's reactions to the food and at first I thought, really? The best you've ever had? But I then gave people the benefit of the doubt until I had a chance to experience the dining options during my visit in May and I had a hard time understanding how people could come up with such glorious reviews of the food. I'd even give the nod to a Cheesecake Factory over WDW and as I mentioned before, I'm not a fan of chains in general.

We live in NYC and have lots of different places to eat, and they are great food, we also love Disney, own DVC because we like staying in comfortable resorts, and we eat at Table Service Restaurants for every dinner. Some may not be on par with good restaurants elsewhere BUT when we celebrated our 30th anniversary in August at Victoria and Alberts, it was one of the best meals we've ever had. And we have eaten at awesome restaurants in NYC. And being AP holders, we have a tables in wodnerland card and got 20% off our entire bill including our wine pairing.

Every time we go, we go thru the restaurants and decide where we are going to eat, its a family decision so everyone gets input. Vacation is a relaxing and fun expereicne and perhaps you like to eat sandwiches you make on the run, and "save money", but there are great restaurants in Disney which some of us thoroughly enjoy, try them sometime especially Victoria and Alberts, Flying Fish, and Blue Zoo to name a few, you may be pleasantly surprised

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Two families from my oldest daughter's soccer team took their first ever trip to Disney last month. I helped both families plan. By coincidence, both families were staying at the DTD Hilton. The feedback I got from both families (who have obviously never stayed on property) was positive.

The one question I have is this: are the savings really worth it? It doesn't appear to be any cheaper than actually staying on site. I guess the accomodations are better and that is the appeal?
As a rule they are not less expensive. I am paying more for a room at Royal Plaza in early December than I would have at one of the moderates. Add on the money that I will now have to fork out for parking and it becomes a little worse. I will however be getting a slightly bigger room.

IMHO the resorts on HPB are at best a safety valve before going off property. They are close to WDW, the shuttle service is only bad vs abysmal and the rooms, service, etc are fair to good.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom