Why are some people snobby and poke fun at people who vacation at Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HouCuseChickie

I don't even think it's a snobby thing. I think there are just people who don't grasp the draw of a Disney vacation. Then you have people who only get it if you have children, but don't get why you'd go multiple times or why you'd go when your kids aren't the age range that they've deemed suitable (i.e. they'll never remember it, they're too old to enjoy it, etc.). There are also those people who have been once and didn't like it or left feeling meh about it all, so that colors all of their reactions to people going on Disney trips. You even have the people who like Disney and would go multiple times in there life, but will judge those who only vacation at Disney.

All it really boils down to is another way that some people choose to judge and condemn differences and probably a result of some kind of insecurities on their part.

Voxel

President of Progress City
You are correct that there it is not as bad in major cities as in the country where for instance plastic utensils and paper cups were given to my friends family while the rest of the diners had real glass and silverware. The no foreigners in hotels ...you really think it is just because of language issues? If you believe that does that excuse it, because I never encountered it in Europe or America.
As for women, why do you think they have women only subway cars?
EDIT: And not saying it cant be a great place to visit, China is nice to visit...just try to ignore all the humanitarian violations etc...and the government watching everything you do. Still, I would go back!
Strange really. I never experienced anything like that in any of the small towns I was in. I wonder if it's a difference or regions. I found that the smaller the town the nicer the people. It's interesting that ppl can have two wildly different experiences in the same country.

As for business not catering to foreigners that doesnt really bother me like not serving citizens of your country. I honestly wouldn't complain if someone didn't wanna rent out a room to someone who isn't a citizen. Sure it's bad business but last them have the potential loss of money..

I will say the perv aspect of Japan isn't as bad as it use to be but it still exist sadly. It's also alot more in the open than it is in every country. Korea has a much bigger issue with it yet every one talks about Japan.. its sick but its the world and at least Japan does something to make it safer for women.

I really wanna go to China but can't due to reasons. But like you said they have some massive issue. Most country have issues. Heck on the us state deports Germany was considered more dangerous to visit than Japan and Korea which is interesting once you think about the close proximity to China and North Korea

Chef Mickey

New Orleans might be the most authentic American city we have. Best food in our nation IMO. Japan is ok, except for open discrimination against westerners and female visitor have told me some of it was not a great environment for women.
You talk about discrimination in Japan so casually as if it’s a given. I experienced nothing like that in Japan and only had the most positive experiences with the locals. If you’re gracious, you get the same in return. They are proud of their country, and they should be.

New Orleans is great other than being a bankrupt swamp with some of the worst infrastructure and crime in America.

Chef Mickey

Glad to hear that! To be clear, though, I think your characterization of "Europe's larger cities" being "largely dirty, have high crime, and tons of rude people" is inaccurate at best, disrespectful at its worst. That's like saying U.S. cities are the same but only referring to select places in New York, Chicago, and LA!
That’s the trouble with travel. There are obviously going to be gems in Europe, but tourists will go to the Louvre and major cities for the majority of the trip. I agree that has limitations.

ABigBrassBand

That’s the trouble with travel. There are obviously going to be gems in Europe, but tourists will go to the Louvre and major cities for the majority of the trip. I agree that has limitations.

This isn't really about travel, though, it's about you saying an entire continent is overrated. All I'm saying is that it's just an unproductive arguing point that doesn't really say anything.

Disneyhead'71

I may be a bit judgemental about folks who spend close to $20K on multiple WDW vacations a year, but have never been to Yellowstone, Yosemite, or the Grand Canyon. Or the Smithsonian, Broadway, or The Met.

But the snobbery is a two way street. Just tell folks here that Dollywood is worth a visit and you'll see the snobbery of our community.

ABigBrassBand

True. It’s a generalization. But I do think it’s overrated, completely based on my own experiences. What else do I have? 😀
I don't think it's that big of a deal in the context of a Disney forum. But, from my own experience as an American who is settled in Germany, I've learned a lot from not judging cultures on my own terms when the idea of culture is objectively multifaceted.

Club Cooloholic

You talk about discrimination in Japan so casually as if it’s a given. I experienced nothing like that in Japan and only had the most positive experiences with the locals. If you’re gracious, you get the same in return. They are proud of their country, and they should be.

New Orleans is great other than being a bankrupt swamp with some of the worst infrastructure and crime in America.
Do a little research, you will find it is a pretty big and largely discussed issue there. I am glad they were nice to you, but that is the culture..
As for New Orleans, I guess a bowl of BBQ shrimp at Mr.Bs and a night on Rampart enjoying authentic jazz and the site of 6 tuba players on one stage has me not worrying about the cities infrastructure. I like that it has some edges it's own culture, so many cities are starting to look the same with your requisite Starbucks, Walgreens on every corner and a Capital Grill is considered the best place to eat.

MrMcDuck

I admit that maybe I'm a bit of a snob in that I have a hard time understanding why some never want to do anything other than go to WDW, but I wouldn't make fun of someone for it. In my mind, a hike through part of the American Southwest, a night enjoying the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue, and an evening seeing La Fanciulla del West are all worthwhile things to do in life.

Goofyernmost

There is a nice element of Epcot because it brings back those memories of travel. Every time I go to the Italy pavilion I'm reminded of my two weeks traveling through Italy in college. Sure it's not the same, but the memories and emotions are just as real.
I agree, but we are both basing it on a real experience. We know that it isn't the same experience, but, we can use it to lift us up and transport us back to those times. Can that be compared to a person that never went to the real place and are taking their cue from just what is presented in Epcot. I certainly gives them an experience, but, it never should be said that it is the same as reality.

I think someone said that World Showcase was created as a permanent worlds fair. Any worlds fair exists for one purpose only and that is to kick start our imagination and desire to go and see what is being shown to us in capsule form in the fair/Epcot. It is travel promotion.

Chef Mickey

Do a little research, you will find it is a pretty big and largely discussed issue there. I am glad they were nice to you, but that is the culture..
As for New Orleans, I guess a bowl of BBQ shrimp at Mr.Bs and a night on Rampart enjoying authentic jazz and the site of 6 tuba players on one stage has me not worrying about the cities infrastructure. I like that it has some edges it's own culture, so many cities are starting to look the same with your requisite Starbucks, Walgreens on every corner and a Capital Grill is considered the best place to eat.
I've been to Japan 4 times....you're mistaken. It's an idea I've heard before, but it just doesn't manifest itself at all. It's like saying people in Texas are conservative.

Disney.Mike

OK, go ahead and keep telling yourself that. Having been both places I would have to disagree with you on that, but, you certainly are entitled to your opinion. That kinda like saying watching someone else eat a Mickey bar projects the same essence as having one yourself. Or that going to New Orleans Square in Disneyland is the same experience as going to New Orleans. I can assure you it isn't. All Epcot really does is give us an example of some (only a little) of the architecture of those places. Even the food in the restaurants it is highly Americanized and you can communicate normally because of the fact that even the people from those lands have to respond to you in English and not their native tongue. Epcot is great, but, no where near authentic. Some like authentic more then show.

I live less than an hour from New Orleans and I work in New Orleans (when I have to be onsite)... New Orleans Square in DL is much better. Its cleaner. You don't have to see 13 year old girls shaking their butt in some primitive African mating ritual (I think its called twerking), no homeless people harassing you, and you dont have to worry about getting stabbed/shot/robbed.

Disney.Mike

It blows my mind how people here can sit and defend the "culture" of New Orleans. I work there because its the only major metro area thats close to my family, and I still chose to commute for an house plus 2-3 days a week when I have to be on site.

@Chef Mickey had it right... New Orleans is nothing but a bankrupt swamp, propped up only because of the Mississippi River.

Culture???? If you call absolute moral degeneracy, drugs, murder, homelessness, corruption, alcoholism culture then i maybe so. Having a couple decent jazz players does not make the city great lol.

New Orleans has good food because the inhabitants have nothing else... poor people make the best food the world over, thats not unique to NOLA.

Oh and yeah it has the worst infrastructure of any city I have ever been to in the entire United States. I would put the citys infrastructure below many cities in 3rd world countries.

Between rampant crime and rampant cajun stupidity and ignorance, NOLA is a world leading hellhole.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heppenheimer

It blows my mind how people here can sit and defend the "culture" of New Orleans. I work there because its the only major metro area thats close to my family, and I still chose to commute for an house plus 2-3 days a week when I have to be on site.

@Chef Mickey had it right... New Orleans is nothing but a bankrupt swamp, propped up only because of the Mississippi River.

Culture???? If you call absolute moral degeneracy, drugs, murder, homelessness, corruption, alcoholism culture then i maybe so. Having a couple decent jazz players does not make the city great lol.

New Orleans has good food because the inhabitants have nothing else... poor people make the best food the world over, thats not unique to NOLA.

Oh and yeah it has the worst infrastructure of any city I have ever been to in the entire United States. I would put the citys infrastructure below many cities in 3rd world countries.

Between rampant crime and rampant cajun stupidity and ignorance, NOLA is a world leading hellhole.
So... the Simpsons were right all along?

dgauthier

Cajun Transplant

Being from south Louisiana I agree with most of what you say however NOLA is not Cajun it is creole for the most part West bank is Italian, north shore is mostly Yuppies (Covington to Slidell) and the entitled. Cajun country is west of Baton Rouge.

Disney.Mike

I've got a couple friends who live on the West Bank and the area seems to have a strong Italian presence. Cajun and Creole are pretty much interchangeable honestly... with Creoles having some ethnic Haitian or African mix, with Cajuns being more "white".

But your the only person who I've heard describe people from Covington and Slidell as Yuppies... TBH there more like your standard Mississippi redneck than Yuppies... unless them speaking a semi proper version of English and knowing the difference between or/are and their/there/they're makes them entitled Yuppies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom