Why Animal Kingdom is now so popular?

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
I searched the forums for a while and couldn't find a thread explaining my question, so I apologize if this is a repeat of the same conversation over and over again...

It's been 12 years since I've been to Animal Kingdom or the parks in general (long story) and miss the parks terribly, but I have a question. For context, the last time I bought a park hopper was the pre-FP+ days. I have been to MK once in this time, but not AK or any other park. So when and how did AK go from arguably a "half-day" park as it was commonly considered the last time I went there, to arguably the best park on property? I surprisingly see AK listed ahead of Epcot, HS, and sometimes even MK in numerous lists of "best theme parks" in FL. I'm not asking an opinion on whether or not it should be listed this high, but more the cause of this more popular opinion.

Was it because of Pandora? The downfall of all other parks? Are there other things I'm not aware of? Pandora is the largest change I'm aware of, so just wondering if that single land changed so many minds? Don't get me wrong, I always loved AK in the past, but wondering what changed so many other minds.

shrug 4.gif

Mickey5150

Pandora, Rivers of Light, and nighttime safaris were what turned AK into a full day park for the people who didn't realize it already was. Also with the addition of things that required night Disney had to extend the park hours. Also, Animal Kingdom is the single greatest level of theming that Disney has ever created.
1 other important thing I forgot was the addition of dining. Tusker House getting character meals, Yak & Yeti and Tiffins as sit down dining in the park and Satuli Canteen and Harambe Market adding more quick service options.

Last edited:

DisneyJoe

We love the nighttime safari as well as the projections on the Tree of Life - and we can't wait to get back to see the new character boats (if they are still running).

kap91

I mean the short version is Flight of Passage.

The long version is it's a park that was very thoughtfully designed with good operational and thematic bones that has seen a slow but steady trickle of improvements and additions over the course of 20 years and a unified vision presiding over all those changes.

The addition of Everest and Nemo:the musical were probably the first stage of this evolution. The park two must-see, high quality shows, and now 4 e-ticket attractions. Combined with all the animal exhibits, this was probably the first time the park actually warranted a semi-full day and really started garnering attention.

Then came the slate of additions and changes when Pandora arrived. Pandora was just one of many changes that happened in that period. At the same time Harambe expanded from basically a gift shop and restaurant that decorated the entrance to the Safari and a hidden wildlife trail - to a much larger land with additional shops, the market, and festival of the lion king, and additional entertainment.
Also at that time the park drastically expanded its nighttime offerings - with sunset safaris, tree of life awakenings, rivers of light, and Pandora itself - which is the only land I know of that practically requires both day and night visits. Tiffins was added around that time too - which added a new signature dining experience.

Pandora itself added a new lands worth of entertainment, two rides, new walking paths to Africa, and a new restaurant - easily taking up several more hours of ones day. Flight of Passage is arguably one of the first "Super E-ticket" attractions - ones that pump up immersion and realism to another level, and it's hype and reputation alone probably contribute to a huge percentage of the attendance increase that followed its opening.

and because all these expansions have been done with an amazing attention to detail and unified vision - the entire park still manages to adhere to more or less one aesthetic, a few key themes, and thanks to a lot of smart early investment into landscape design and foliage - really blocks out the rest of the world - it has slowly become one of the best, most immersive, and transporting parks in the world.

In the same time period both Epcot and Studios suffered a myriad of problems relating to relevance (or perceived relevance) to the modern audience, problems with their original themes and purposes (Disney decided they didn't really want a movie studio in Florida, or to make inspiring edutainment theme parks for adults), lack of a clear new vision, a new budget-minded theme park strategy, poor layout-in the case of the studios, many lapsed sponsorships in the case of Epcot...the end result being that both parks saw turbulent development, no development at all, or development that had to be replaced multiple times over.

Also in the same time period the Magic Kingdom saw almost no development at all, I believe actually now has fewer attractions. The biggest changes it saw were the fantasyland expansion (which while a modest capacity restoration, didn't really change much of the character of the park) and the reopening of some restaurants.

So part of the story is that not only is Animal Kingdom a much better park than it was when it opened, and not only is it one of the best parks out there, - but in comparison to the rest of the resort it's managed to get a lot for its money while the experiences at the other parks have largely stayed the same or perhaps gotten worse.

There's also something really to be said about the appeal of the park itself as a place to be - it's the only other park besides the magic kingdom where nearly every corner is beautiful, relaxing, and immersive and arguably does it better.

so anyway...those are a few reasons.

JIMINYCR

It was always a park that we could spend the entire day in. It fell out of favor with many because it was never seen as a park like the others, even though it wasnt meant to be seen as such. Many of the detractors saw it as dull and uninteresting. Lots of paths with greenery, uninteresting buildings, no Disney looking things they were used to seeing. Long uninspiring walks from one thing to the next. And it was a hot humid park that made guests sweaty and irritable. Once Pandora and FoP came in it gave the park a lift. Adding night time scenes and amusements, added a new interest. And it helped that when the other parks became more saturated with guests, AK was readily available to draw in those wanting to go somewhere else.

belledream

We always spent a whole day at AK... Every new Disney morning is filled with anticipation and excitement, but I think AK mornings are something extra special. I’ve just always enjoyed the change of scenery and pace and lush greenery, taking my time exploring instead of hopping on and off rides all day. (And AK is actually home to many of our favorite rides, as well).

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
It was always a park that we could spend the entire day in. It fell out of favor with many because it was never seen as a park like the others, even though it wasnt meant to be seen as such. Many of the detractors saw it as dull and uninteresting. Lots of paths with greenery, uninteresting buildings, no Disney looking things they were used to seeing. Long uninspiring walks from one thing to the next. And it was a hot humid park that made guests sweaty and irritable. Once Pandora and FoP came in it gave the park a lift. Adding night time scenes and amusements, added a new interest. And it helped that when the other parks became more saturated with guests, AK was readily available to draw in those wanting to go somewhere else.
Can't wait to see Pandora and all the changes since I last visited, especially at night considering I'm an Avatar fan.
We always spent a whole day at AK... Every new Disney morning is filled with anticipation and excitement, but I think AK mornings are something extra special. I’ve just always enjoyed the change of scenery and pace and lush greenery, taking my time exploring instead of hopping on and off rides all day. (And AK is actually home to many of our favorite rides, as well).
I agree with this wholeheartedly, but 12 years ago my ex didn't see the excitement in the park after EE and Dinosaur. :rolleyes: I enjoyed the park for it's beauty, but as a thrill seeker first and foremost, she'd get bored by early afternoon.

belledream

Can't wait to see Pandora and all the changes since I last visited, especially at night considering I'm an Avatar fan.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, but 12 years ago my ex didn't see the excitement in the park after EE and Dinosaur. :rolleyes: I enjoyed the park for it's beauty, but as a thrill seeker first and foremost, she'd get bored by early afternoon.
Ah, 2 of my absolute favorites. 😁 Flight of Passage and Kilimanjaro Safaris are also thrilling in unique ways.

I was just talking with someone who had never been to Disney before, giving them the ol’ “Disney isn’t an amusement park where it’s all about the biggest coaster that’ll make you puke your brains out. It’s a THEME park and a darn good one at that” speech. There is so much detail and storytelling throughout the park, and for me, I often forget I’m in Florida. I’m on an adventure somewhere I can’t quite point to on the map. It’s like traveling abroad, but everything feels safer and cleaner. ;)

JIMINYCR

I suggest you see it during the day and then go back at night for a contrasting look when the atmosphere really comes alive with the lit up colors. My first visit going in, I wasnt an Avatar fan and was still impressed with it. Then on the second trip I went after having seen the movie and knowing more of the story, I was even more amazed. As well done as the area was made, I now think they should have done a lot more with it.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
Ah, 2 of my absolute favorites. 😁 Flight of Passage and Kilimanjaro Safaris are also thrilling in unique ways.

I was just talking with someone who had never been to Disney before, giving them the ol’ “Disney isn’t an amusement park where it’s all about the biggest coaster that’ll make you puke your brains out. It’s a THEME park and a darn good one at that” speech. There is so much detail and storytelling throughout the park, and for me, I often forget I’m in Florida. I’m on an adventure somewhere I can’t quite point to on the map. It’s like traveling abroad, but everything feels safer and cleaner. ;)
In 2000, I was that person who required the "it isn't an amusement park" speech. 😂 If I remember the conversation correctly, I was nonchalantly working on the plane ride to FL, and my ex asked me "how are you so calm? Do you even know where we're going?" My response was something like, "yeah, it's like a big Six Flags, right?" 🤣 I had no idea what I was in for until I walked on to Main St. 🤩
I suggest you see it during the day and then go back at night for a contrasting look when the atmosphere really comes alive with the lit up colors. My first visit going in, I wasnt an Avatar fan and was still impressed with it. Then on the second trip I went after having seen the movie and knowing more of the story, I was even more amazed. As well done as the area was made, I now think they should have done a lot more with it.
I think I can swing a whole day at AK next trip, hopefully in 2021. 😁 I'd really like to see the whole park at night. The fluorescent night scenes in Pandora must be amazing!

Giss Neric

Bigger question is why is AK the hottest park when there are so many trees and shaded areas.

The answer to your question is Pandora. Word of mouth quickly spread how amazing Flight of Passage is (which it is). A good ride is a good ride no matter how many people don't care about Avatar.

Lilofan

Bigger question is why is AK the hottest park when there are so many trees and shaded areas.

The answer to your question is Pandora. Word of mouth quickly spread how amazing Flight of Passage is (which it is). A good ride is a good ride no matter how many people don't care about Avatar.
June thru Sept, any park in WDW is weather related hot beyond belief with trees or not.

MickeyLuv'r

We enjoyed hitting Pandora just at dusk, when the lighting changes before your eyes.

Otherwise, I mostly feel like AK is still a 3/4 day park, but we usually skip Nemo and haven't taken the train to nowhere in quite some time. While Primeval Whirl wasn't a huge time suck, that's now gone. Unless you have a little one, there's not a huge reason to spend much time in the Chester + Hester area. (Triceratops Spin is still one of the few rides small; kids can ride.) The train ride is a huge time suck, but, it doesn't do much for me. Rivers of Light is no longer running, so there's no night show to see except the Tree of Life Awakenings light show, and the transformation of Pandora. On my most recent visit, I was able to see most of Pandor light up, then walk to ToL just in time to see it.

Hitting EE early saves a good bit of time.

Also, when there's lightning, much of AK closes temporarily, so especially in summer that can have a significant impact on your day. If you hit something like EE (lines + closed during storm) as soon as the storm passes though, again, that can shave some significant wait time off your day.

Jones14

I think Pandora was a big turnaround because it finally balanced the number of animal exhibits and shows to the number of rides, which was a problem from day one.

It’s still light on attractions in comparison to other parks, but for the most part the quality is top notch, and now the animals and shows feel like a welcome break from the rides rather than attempting to take their place.

doctornick

Yeah, but Animal Kingdom always feels 15 degrees hotter than the other parks.
I’ve always thought that had more to do with the relative lack of indoor “stuff” in the park. Until Pandora, Dinosaur was the only indoor ride. There are a few shows indoors, but FOTLK and Nemo are both scheduled and less frequent than the constantly running AA or movie based shows in other parks (ITTBAB is an example for DAK). Even a bunch of the quick serves have outdoor or only covered eating areas. A lot of stuff for DAK to do is outdoors, like the animal trails.

it’s one of the reasons that I think DAK would benefit from a longer indoor ride to help fill out the attraction roster and park days.

Last edited:

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
I’ve always thought that had more to do with the relative lack of indoor “stuff” in the park. Until Pandora, Dinosaur was the only indoor ride. There are a few shows indoors, but FOTLK and Nemo are both scheduled and less frequent than the constantly running AA or movie based shows in other parks (ITTBAB is an example for DAK). Even a bunch of the quick served have outdoor or only covered eating areas. A lot of stuff for DAK to do is outdoors, like the animal trails.

it’s one of the reasons that I think DAK would benefit from a longer indoor ride to help fill out the park and park day.
Great point about fewer escapes from the heat. I'm sure that's a huge contributor. With that said, AK is really about nature, Africa, etc. A bunch of indoor air conditioned restaurants and rides would kind of take away from that immersion. It's what we always say we want, right? Immersion? Enjoy your immersion into an African village and few of those have air conditioning. 😁

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom