Whoopimecalit Forever? Thankfully no...

Haymarket2008

I would imagine some of the folks at Disney have regretted the “real country” approach to World Showcase over the years. If they were to change the entire thing to “fictitious and fantastical worlds,” there wouldn’t be these comparisons to real-world places and all the limitations of problematic representation.

A lot of the places that fans are calling for seem like they’d be very difficult to do well in a WS pavilion. You quickly get stuck somewhere between “too stereotypical” or “unrealistic” or “boring.” Desert environments, for example (Morocco pavilion notwithstanding), or any place with ancient ruins are the kinds of places that come to mind as particularly challenging.

My preference is for some basis in real places and cultures, but imagine how much WDI could do if they freed WS completely from reality and featured pavilions with Wakanda, Arendelle, San Fransokyo, Zootopia, Atlantis, etc.

There’s a place called Fantasyland that might be what you’re looking for.

I’d much rather World Showcase be completely torn down than approached like that.

_caleb

There’s a place called Fantasyland that might be what you’re looking for.

I’d much rather World Showcase be completely torn down than approached like that.
My preference is for some basis in real places and cultures
Not what I’m looking for, just something I find interesting to think about.

Fantasyland does fit the bill to an extent, but it seems like the “places” represented there don’t really try to capture any sense of “culture” (realistic or fictional).

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

I would imagine some of the folks at Disney have regretted the “real country” approach to World Showcase over the years. If they were to change the entire thing to “fictitious and fantastical worlds,” there wouldn’t be these comparisons to real-world places and all the limitations of problematic representation.

A lot of the places that fans are calling for seem like they’d be very difficult to do well in a WS pavilion. You quickly get stuck somewhere between “too stereotypical” or “unrealistic” or “boring.” Desert environments, for example (Morocco pavilion notwithstanding), or any place with ancient ruins are the kinds of places that come to mind as particularly challenging.

My preference is for some basis in real places and cultures, but imagine how much WDI could do if they freed WS completely from reality and featured pavilions with Wakanda, Arendelle, San Fransokyo, Zootopia, Atlantis, etc.
PLEASE, NO.

Part of what makes World Showcase so beautiful is that it looks REAL. Please don't cartoonify it.

ImperfectPixie

It is called World Showcase yet has five European pavilions to only one African (and that’s to say nothing of Cinderella Castle and Fantasyland over in Magic Kingdom). Not only does your complaint overlook this disparity, but you actually conclude by calling for the addition of two more European countries. It’s concerning to me that more people don’t recognise the imbalance, and equally troubling that so many consider a zoo—even a very beautifully themed one—the appropriate venue for celebrating Africa’s diverse human cultures.
If memory serves, sponsorship played at least a partial role in which countries were chosen for representation. I seem to recall something about wanting to avoid countries that could be "problematic" due to politics, as well.

We've already got Mexico, Norway, China, Germany, Italy, United States, Japan, Morocco, France, United Kingdom, and Canada in World Showcase.

What about Peru? Madagascar or Mozambique? Egypt? Sri Lanka? Thailand? Australia? (Please be nice...I don't know if there would be any potential issues with any of these countries, except that there were tourism issues with Sri Lanka up until 2009 because of civil war. I went around the globe and tried to get a country from each region...I'm sure I overlooked at least a few that would be possible but I did leave some out on purpose...political issues.)

It's too bad they couldn't use part of The Land and The Seas to represent land-based Australia and the Great Barrier Reef.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I’m not sure how any of this responds to the specific point I made.

The point you made was that you feel European countries are over-represented. And maybe 5 countries around WS substantiate that. However, I don't feel that European cultures are. And while there is much diversity on the African continent. That is not what we get at Disney. We get stereotypical Africa. I'm all for an Egypt, even a Johannesburg/Cape Town area. Disney's Africa is all about animals and stereotypes. And it seems that any additional inclusion of Africa into the resort feeds the stereotype. The same way the Glockenspiel is Disney's Germany, and the Yukon is Disney's Canada.

LittleBuford

The point you made was that you feel European countries are over-represented. And maybe 5 countries around WS substantiate that. However, I don't feel that European cultures are. And while there is much diversity on the African continent. That is not what we get at Disney. We get stereotypical Africa. I'm all for an Egypt, even a Johannesburg/Cape Town area. Disney's Africa is all about animals and stereotypes. And it seems that any additional inclusion of Africa into the resort feeds the stereotype. The same way the Glockenspiel is Disney's Germany, and the Yukon is Disney's Canada.

My point was that Africa is underrepresented, which is not quite the same thing.

I actually agree with much of what you’re saying about Disney portraying world cultures in rather stereotypical terms, but that’s a separate topic from the one I was addressing.

LittleBuford

If memory serves, sponsorship played at least a partial role in which countries were chosen for representation. I seem to recall something about wanting to avoid countries that could be "problematic" due to politics, as well.

We've already got Mexico, Norway, China, Germany, Italy, United States, Japan, Morocco, France, United Kingdom, and Canada in World Showcase.

What about Peru? Madagascar or Mozambique? Egypt? Sri Lanka? Thailand? Australia? (Please be nice...I don't know if there would be any potential issues with any of these countries, except that there were tourism issues with Sri Lanka up until 2009 because of civil war. I went around the globe and tried to get a country from each region...I'm sure I overlooked at least a few that would be possible but I did leave some out on purpose...political issues.)

It's too bad they couldn't use part of The Land and The Seas to represent land-based Australia and the Great Barrier Reef.

I’m not criticising the current makeup of World Showcase—it’s the product of a particular time and of particular circumstances. My point had more to do with what should be done going forward. To my mind, Sub-Saharan Africa really needs some (non-zoological) representation at Disney, and I hope the next pavilion added to World Showcase addresses this issue.

Nice wishlist of countries, by the way.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
My point was that Africa is underrepresented, which is not quite the same thing.

And I don't necessarily disagree with that. I feel African areas (countries, cultures etc.) are underrepresented. My issue is more with the "catch-all" Africa (which I feel is over-represented to a fault) and further feeds the stereotype.

I mentioned before I would love for individual locations in Africa, and South America for that matter, to be represented. But not to the point of "Now we present to you the South American Pavilion - and base it all on the rain forests of Brazil.

A previous poster mentioned India. I for one would love to see that. Probably more so than Brazil, Argentina, and Egypt. And especially more than a further development of the African Outpost.

Disstevefan1

Wow. I find this revolting. At the least, I would hope that (Insert Name Of African Host Country) is to Wakanda as London is to Diagon Alley. I’d be able to at least try to swallow that.

EDIT: I just can’t imagine being a person from a real African country being surrounded by 11 fully-realized celebrations of countries around the world, and then seeing a fictional country become the entirety of your representation. Even Norway has shops and a tiny museum, and thematically real-world inspired architecture.

Now with the frozen ride, Norway is now fictionalized...

LittleBuford

My issue is more with the "catch-all" Africa (which I feel is over-represented to a fault) and further feeds the stereotype.

Disney also has “catch-all” America (Main Street, Frontierland) and “catch-all” Europe (Fantasyland), in addition to the more country-specific representations at Epcot. It baffles me that you find Africa overrepresented within this mix. The only park in which it has a heavy presence is Animal Kingdom.

ImperfectPixie

I’m not criticising the current makeup of World Showcase—it’s the product of a particular time and of particular circumstances. My point had more to do with what should be done going forward. To my mind, Sub-Saharan Africa really needs some (non-zoological) representation at Disney, and I hope the next pavilion added to World Showcase addresses this issue.

Nice wishlist of countries, by the way.
I absolutely agree...not just about Africa, either. There are so many interesting places/cultures that could be represented that aren't.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Disney also has “catch-all” America (Main Street, Frontierland) and “catch-all” Europe (Fantasyland), in addition to the more country-specific representations at Epcot. It baffles me that you find Africa overrepresented within this mix. The only park in which it has a heavy presence is Animal Kingdom.

Main Street is a little different. It is modeled after Marceline, MO. While it may appear to be "generic" (and maybe rightfully so) it is not. It is a take on history and small town America. A piece that sadly no longer exists.

I think the representation of "Disney's Africa" in WDW is enough at the moment. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't welcome specific areas such as Egypt, Cape Town etc. (Celebrating the people, the history, and the culture)

The premise of this thread was "building out" the African Outpost to a further generic and bland representation of "Disney's Africa". Of which, I've had enough. I'm not saying they should repeal anything existing. I - putting it in Roberto Duran's words - am saying "No Mas".

Last edited:

matt9112

I think its a fair consideration at the least that there is basically an india land and an africa land in animal kingdom. (When picking future nations)

Animaniac93-98

Maybe it's time for that 5th gate where they build lands from each of the IPs they've bought over the past 20 years or so...

Artists' rendering:

1599342724717.png

;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom