Who was there the 1st years of Disney World?

tinky

Original Poster
Hi! I’m new on this forum and I am looking for help. I am doing a bit of research due to the 50th anniversary of Disneyland and am trying to find stories of multiple generations of Disney goers. For example, grandparents went when the park opened in 1955, years later brought their children and their children brought children etcetera, etcetera. You get the idea. If anyone has any information (preferable first hand i.e. Your parents, grandparents, children) it would be extremely helpful!

stitch82

my grandparents took my mother and her sister to dl in 1965. my parents took me in 1985, '88, (then added my siblings) '95, '98, 2001...then we all went to dl in '03...and last year ('04) i took my boyfriend. and you can bet as soon as i have children of my own, i'll take them as well! :)

Robfasto

My first trip wasn't until July 1977 and we have been many, many times since then. If we do take our grandchildren next year that will make 4 generations that have gone in our family.

careship

I went with my parents and grandparents right after WDW opened. I continued with my parents after my grandparents passed away. I now go with my husband and children every year at least once. We continue the tradition of jumping in the car and driving from Michigan. I've seen all the rides and parks things come and go. I can remember the long drive that looked like we were going nowhere and there it was...WDW. I loved spending weeks at Fort Wilderness once it opened. Swimming in the lake, yes you used to be able to do that. Loved Discovery Island and feeding the Pelicans. Luckily, my children were able to see the Island and feed the Pelicans before its demise. The swan boats in Magic Kingdom.....the Skyway....getting stuck in the HM when I was little in a storm that came up quickly. Being afraid of Grumpy....I am sure that when my children have children we'll all be there together just like I went with my family, grandparents and all. My children went with their grandparents. Funny enough.....my husband did the same thing with his family and we stayed there the same time every year and didn't know it until we were married and visiting WDW with my parents.

PintoColvig

I went to WDW in '76 when I was 7 years old. Don't remember much except standing in front of the castle and getting my pic taken (with Mickey? I don't remember and don't have the pic), ticket booklets ("A" ticket to watch black and white MM cartoons in Main St. theater), and riding 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (still my most missed attraction).

Epcot13

My parents took me and my siblings to WDW for the first time in March of 1979. Hard to believe that it's been that long!:eek: I can remember being absolutely thrilled to be there. I lived in New York at the time and it was so cold when we left, but the weather was beautiful all week in Orlando. We didn't want to leave. It seems weird to me now that we spent seven days there and the only park back then was MK. We did go to River Country one day, but the rest of the time was spent in MK. Hard to believe how much WDW has grown since then.

RonAnnArbor

First trip as a 12-year old in 1972...been going almost every year since. What is amazing to think about it not how much NEW has been added...but how much of what was there in 1972 is STILL there...

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
My first trip at age 12 was in December of '73, at the beginning of the oil crisis. There was no one in the park. In fact the Seven Dwarfs hung out with us for an hour, even coming into the Tomorrowland Terrace to sit with us while we had lunch. We have photos of us in Fantasyland without a single other person to be seen. Pirates opened a week after we were there, and a trip aboard the skyway was round trip, as most of TL was inaccessable due to the construction of the StarJets, CoP, and Space Mt., and the TL station was in the middle of the mess.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There are 2 videos of the opening of WDW both at Disney Central; the `Grand opening of Walt Disney World` with Julie Andrews - lots of songs and comedy sketches, but with some great 1971 footage too, and the other one is the actual opening Ceremony with the 1081 piece marching band and daytime hub ceremony.

shopsuzy-q

Went first time in 1976! My parents brought us, we drove from Maine!! I was about 7 years old. Stayed at Fort Wilderness, I remember the campfire and dancing with chip and dale!! Also, my brothers and Dad did Space Mountain and was to young,scared.....
well there are some thoughts...I have about 21 more days till I go back for visit #5 with my children!!! Counting down!!!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
RonAnnArbor said:
First trip as a 12-year old in 1972...been going almost every year since. What is amazing to think about it not how much NEW has been added...but how much of what was there in 1972 is STILL there...

Another 1972 alumni here. :wave:

It's definitely a testament to the Imagineers abilties to create lasting and impressive attractions.

::BEN::

marni1971 said:
There are 2 videos of the opening of WDW both at Disney Central; the `Grand opening of Walt Disney World` with Julie Andrews - lots of songs and comedy sketches, but with some great 1971 footage too, and the other one is the actual opening Ceremony with the 1081 piece marching band and daytime hub ceremony.

Would you be able to post links to the videos if possible! I would be interested to see them!:animwink:

Thanks a bunch!

Ben!:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom