• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Who was the best Disney leader/CEO Poll

Who was the best Disney leader/CEO?

• Total voters

Goofyernmost

If you really want results, I would change the question to who was the best AFTER Walt Disney. You can't beat the guy that started it all with his little rodent partner.

I'm trying to remember my history without actually looking it up, but wasn't Card the one that built Epcot? Where did Walt's son in law Ron fit in there.

Tom P.

I feel like putting Walt Disney into this is going to make the survey pointless, as almost everyone is going to say that Walt was the best leader.

I think this should be a poll about post-Walt leadership. And I also agree that Eisner's tenure should be divided into two separate eras.

All that being said, if I'm thinking about post-Walt leadership, I'd go with Eisner. Under his leadership, we had the Disney Renaissance, which brought us my all-time favorite Disney films and we saw rapid growth and expansion in the theme parks, which is of major importance to me.

networkpro

Personally, I'd tighten up the category that addressing specific areas. Both Eisner and Iger did a great service of fending off takeovers of the company from (Roy E Disney who was going to buy the company and sell off the parks to save its film studios, Eisner - corporate raiders {aka Saul Steinburg}, and Iger - Comcast).

Last edited:

Bender123

E/O wouldn’t get my vote!
Even Walt on his own isn't really a fair question...Walt would never have made it this far without Roy.

In my mind, Roy was every bit as important as Walt. Without Walt, you don't get the creativity, without Roy, you don't get the focus to make it a business. Its like Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak...I don't think you know who either is if they didn't come as a package.

Pooh.sHoneyHuntTDL

Original Poster
Even Walt on his own isn't really a fair question...Walt would never have made it this far without Roy.

In my mind, Roy was every bit as important as Walt. Without Walt, you don't get the creativity, without Roy, you don't get the focus to make it a business. Its like Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak...I don't think you know who either is if they didn't come as a package.
I dunno if Woz was that important. Yes, initially but I think Jobs could have found another programmer and still brought Apple to success. Woz seems to be critical to Apple's success for a lot shorter time than Roy was to Walt.

Bender123

I dunno if Woz was that important. Yes, initially but I think Jobs could have found another programmer and still brought Apple to success. Woz seems to be critical to Apple's success for a lot shorter time than Roy was to Walt.
Woz literally built the first Apple computers...

And if you think its just his programming skills/engineering skills, not so fast...Jobs was notorious for being extremely difficult to work with. He was demanding, he was smelly (literally thought his diet prevented BO), he was fickle, he was rude and just generally an SOB that had vision, but no focus.

Wozniak managed to see through all that, work through it and adjust his skills to satisfy a person that was awful to work for. Even as Jobs screwed Woz over, he still stuck with him. If you want to see exactly how awful Jobs was, check out the story of how the game Breakout was made. Most engineers would have dumped Jobs for a job at anywhere else.

JIMINYCR

Naming one as the best is difficult because theyve all had successes and failures in their roles as a leader. They each had a different style of leadership and differed greatly in how they used people, how they got people to produce for them and how they personally related to their staff. Each one was able to add something different to the Disney parks and corporation to help it succeed. Using my heart, Id say Walt as the founder, using my analytical side Id say Eisner at the beginning of his reign, not so much near his end. Theyve all played a unique role, building on their predecessors time in Disney, to make it grow. Any of them missing would have negatively affected the outcome.

Top Bottom