Who the HECK is Hondo?!?!?!

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
I haven't been keeping up with SW:GE news, so to my shock when I found out that Chewie won't be the only major character in this attraction, but also some guy named Hondo! "Who is this Hondo fellow," I asked myself, "He must've appeared in one Star Wars movie to make such a major appearance!" Wrong. He appeared in the Clone Wars and Rebels according to Wookipedia and not in any of the beloved theatrical Star Wars movies.What's next referencing Star Wars: the tabletop board game? Will the entire land be filled with these obtuse references to Star Wars that only the most diehard fan will understand? Will they sell Star Wars: The Flametrower inside the land? Is this post serious or just a joke? Will any of these questions ever be answered? Find out after this fine programming:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I haven't been keeping up with SW:GE news, so to my shock when I found out that Chewie won't be the only major character in this attraction, but also some guy named Hondo! "Who is this Hondo fellow," I asked myself, "He must've appeared in one Star Wars movie to make such a major appearance!" Wrong. He appeared in the Clone Wars and Rebels according to Wookipedia and not in any of the beloved theatrical Star Wars movies.What's next referencing Star Wars: the tabletop board game? Will the entire land be filled with these obtuse references to Star Wars that only the most diehard fan will understand? Will they sell Star Wars: The Flametrower inside the land? Is this post serious or just a joke? Will any of these questions ever be answered? Find out after this fine programming:

If you don't know Hondo then you're not a true Star Wars fan and don't deserve to go to Batuu!

Can I have your Maxpass?

socalifornian

We need to have a Dog as part of Galaxy Edge!

Does Carrie Fishers dog work?
1D0CB377-4390-4913-87DF-082B49ECADDB.jpeg

Stevek

Here's his story. Probably most well known for his appearances in The Clone Wars and Rebels animated series.

SSG

Seems to be the norm with Disney's newest offerings. Shoot for the lowest hanging fruit in storytelling.
Well to be fair, most attractions don't require much backstory knowledge. For Indy, you explore a cursed temple and things go wrong. In Star Tours, you take a trip in space and things go wrong. For Smuggler's Run you'll be on a smuggling mission....and things will go wrong. But being familiar with the Star Wars or Indiana Jones universes doesn't (IMO) impact how you enjoy the ride.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Well to be fair, most attractions don't require much backstory knowledge. For Indy, you explore a cursed temple and things go wrong. In Star Tours, you take a trip in space and things go wrong. For Smuggler's Run you'll be on a smuggling mission....and things will go wrong. But being familiar with the Star Wars or Indiana Jones universes doesn't (IMO) impact how you enjoy the ride.

Definitely, I agree that using an IP doesn't necessarily impact the enjoyment of an attraction. I'm just saying that I personally feel the days of ToT, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates are unfortunately over. I'd argue that the examples I just provided use story elements without heavily relying on an IP (for ToT, Splash - they're based on an IP but the IP only compliments their stories, i'd argue it doesn't dictate them). You have to know GotG to enjoy M:B's story, you have to know Incredibles to understand what Incredicoaster even is.

idk am I making sense? I don't doubt Smuggler's Run and Battle Escape will be peak Disney imagineering. But it sounds to me that SWGE relies heavily on the public's knowledge of Star Wars to be a full experience (and i'll give it a pass, seeing SW movies have been around since the 70's). You don't need to know Songs of the South to understand Splash, or Indiana Jones to understanding Indiana Jones Adventure. Just my two cents.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom