Who stole the idea Disney, or Wildwood?

mitchk

Original Poster
Wow this was long time ago… the golden nugget was a western themed coaster built by the Philadelphia toboggan company. It was a second steel roller coaster in the United States second, only to the Matterhorn at Disneyland, which was also built by the Philadelphia toboggan company. I think Tony took a few trips to Wildwood and that’s where he got the idea for the runaway mine train to be added to the western river expedition, but we all know that never happened

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Wow this was long time ago… the golden nugget was a western themed coaster built by the Philadelphia toboggan company. It was a second steel roller coaster in the United States second, only to the Matterhorn at Disneyland, which was also built by the Philadelphia toboggan company. I think Tony took a few trips to Wildwood and that’s where he got the idea for the runaway mine train to be added to the western river expedition, but we all know that never happened

I grew up going to Wildwood every summer in the 70's and 80's and still visit at least once a year. I got to go the ceremony that had before the Golden Nugget was torn down. Got this as a souvenir.

PXL_20230327_195934701.jpg

Here is a picture of some of the artifacts on display that day. Some components of the ride ended up at Knobbles where they were used to re-incarnate this ride as a coal mine themed ride.

IMG_0843.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
When I was at Disney in Oct of 2004 I bought a book "The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies" On page 22 there was a picture of a sign that was hung outside of the then empty Haunted Mansion in 1963 in Disneyland. The sign said "Notice All Ghosts and restless sprits. Post lifetime leases are now available in this Haunted Mansion............." and at the end it said "Do not apply in person" Now, I was looking at pictures of a ride named the Wacky Shack, that was on Hunts pier in Wildwood, NJ, and there was a picture of a sign that read the same post lifetime leases stuff, but it was at the Wacky Shack. I immediately thought Wildwood stole the idea from Disneyland, especially because it said the Wacky Shack was built in 63, but then I went on a site that said Wacky Shack was built in the winter of 62.
Heres the links

http://www.funchase.com/Images/WhackyShack/WhackyShack.htm

and

http://www.angelfire.com/nj/wwbysea/HUNT/HP.html

The first link, go almost all the way down the page, and on the right is a picture of the sign. The second link, go down to Wacky Shack, and it says it was done in 1962. The only reason it really made me think is because I heard Disney went to the Jersey shore to get ideas for the Disney Boardwalk, and I heard Disney got the idea for AKs Dino-rama from Wildwoods Wild Mouse spinning coaster. Any thoughts?:lookaroun

I did a post about this a while back..

I have to think that there was some influence from Disneyland.

mitchk

Original Poster
I did a post about this a while back..

I have to think that there was some influence from Disneyland.
Most definitely, there was an influence from Disneyland, as far as rides like the jungle Cruise, and even the pirate ship on hunts pier

mitchk

Original Poster
I grew up going to Wildwood every summer in the 70's and 80's and still visit at least once a year. I got to go the ceremony that had before the Golden Nugget was torn down. Got this as a souvenir.

View attachment 706758

Here is a picture of some of the artifacts on display that day. Some components of the ride ended up at Knobbles where they were used to re-incarnate this ride as a coal mine themed ride.

View attachment 706760
Oh, trust me, I was there… I actually have video from about four months prior to when they officially announced. They were tearing it down… I was able to walk all around the exterior. Actually, I picked a few things out of the dumpster… That is awesome that you have one of the original planks for the loading station… And yes, it was moved to Knoebels… Except it is all enclosed now… And as far as the wolf… He now resides in Dantes dungeon on Morey‘s pier… I really miss the old days of Wildwood… They had so many dark rides… Castle Dracula… Mr. bloods … I could go on…
368A29E0-31DA-430B-A68D-9D67C8430AFB.jpeg

Smiley/OCD

I don’t know which pier it was, but I distinctly remember an Autotopia type ride which had a miniature Texaco gas station including full sized gas pumps as part of the background. Growing up in north Jersey, Seaside Heights was our boardwalk, but I remember being in awe when I first saw how many piers and rides were part of that boardwalk.
When my wife and I were dating in the late 80’s, we used to go down with her parents who were Elks members for their convention and parade. We started on the southern end and played every miniature golf course on the boardwalk…back then a game was 3-4 bucks…loser paid the next round…it took a good six or seven hours, but we did it! I lost a TON of money that day, and after almost 30 years, that trend continues…lol

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don’t know which pier it was, but I distinctly remember an Autotopia type ride which had a miniature Texaco gas station including full sized gas pumps as part of the background. Growing up in north Jersey, Seaside Heights was our boardwalk, but I remember being in awe when I first saw how many piers and rides were part of that boardwalk.
When my wife and I were dating in the late 80’s, we used to go down with her parents who were Elks members for their convention and parade. We started on the southern end and played every miniature golf course on the boardwalk…back then a game was 3-4 bucks…loser paid the next round…it took a good six or seven hours, but we did it! I lost a TON of money that day, and after almost 30 years, that trend continues…lol

That was on Hunts pier...

1680271814627.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom