Who should voice Figment in a new version of JII?

Who should voice Figment in a new version of JII?

• Bill Barty (archive audio)

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Dave Golez

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Someone else (reply below)

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
I was watching one of Martin’s tribute videos on JII and thought about what I feel is one underdiscussed element of what a new version of JII, who should be Figment’s voice actor? Should they reuse archive audio of Bill Barry, should Disney bring Dave Golez to voice him, or should they use someone new? I’m curious to what all you think?

TwilightZone

I think someone new. Having a dead guys voice would be awkward and Dave is too harsh. Figment needs to be voiced by some one who has the same calm energy as billy.

I would also like a different take on the figment voice too, one that is different than billy like what the new Pooh movie did but maybe that’s just me.

Inspired Figment

I’d like to see a take that’s very similar to Billy’s. The thing that made Figment such a lovable, unforgettable character in the 80s and 90s was that he had the pure innocence and large sense of curiosity about things that a child would have. Along with it, he had a softer, sweeter sounding voice. The way I always described it was, “A little like John Fiedler’s take on Piglet, if he were alot brighter and more optimistic in life.” I believe Corey Burton was Figment’s voice in the cameo appearances Figment makes in the queue videos of ‘Your’ Imagination and he sounded very close to Billy’s take there. But anyway, I’d prefer finding someone who really captures the childlike innocence of Billy’s performance. It’d also help *greatly* if Figment were written correctly again.

Like I’ve said before, the biggest problem is how poorly written and conceived the current attraction is. The whole story of the current ride is an in-joke. It’s Figment causing mischief in the Institute as a form of retaliation on Channing for his wrongful thinking style & screwing up the ride initially. The story goes over average/new park-goers that aren’t familiar with the attraction’s past. Figment’s not supposed to be a jokester or a mischief maker like he is in the current ride. He’s supposed to be an innocent child, where he has an almost naive sense of curiosity, it leads him to a lot of exciting discoveries, but sometimes it leads him to getting into troubling situations. A lot like Pinocchio in a way. (for example, in the Literature scene where he’s trying to stop the monsters from escaping the book).

That’s what Imagineers need to understand. They need to understand the whole process and the meaning behind the characters and the attraction. It’s so simple, yet complex in the perfect amounts. Clearly, everyone involved with designing the current one *did not* understand it. To the point where they couldn’t even get the concept of imagination right. It’s creativity, not perception.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

In all honesty though, *if* a new version is simply too expensive budget wise or if for some reason they just can’t seem to capture the original spirit and idea in a new and proper way. I say, just rebuild and restore it back to the original one with remastered original audio. Just upgrade and enhance all the effects, animatronic figures, technology, etc. Similar to what was done to Disneyland’s Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln & Fantasyland rides. The concept is timeless and I feel the execution was perfect. Changing it to the Honey, I Shrunk the Audience based mess it is today was a terrible idea and I just wish they’d own up to it. Like the old saying goes, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. It could’ve very easily been upgraded rather than drastically changed the way it was.

Inspired Figment

I think someone new. Having a dead guys voice would be awkward and Dave is too harsh. Figment needs to be voiced by some one who has the same calm energy as billy.

I would also like a different take on the figment voice too, one that is different than billy like what the new Pooh movie did but maybe that’s just me.
(Tbh) It’s really not that awkward... They’ve still got the original audio and voices in the Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Peter Pan’s Flight, Tiki Room, Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (Piglet & Rabbit, John Fiedler & Ken Samson), I could go on and on here but you get the idea..).

Inspired Figment

The issue isn't the voice actor, it's the script. I say give Dave Golez another chance to do it properly with a script that honors the original.
While the script is probably the biggest problem with it, and while I think Dave is a great performer otherwise. Sadly, I don’t think he really fits Figment’s role too well. Also let’s not forget how much time has passed since he’s done the role. Even his Gonzo sounds alot more gruff and tired these days. The issue with the current voice is that it’s essentially Gonzo pitched up. That, and he shouts everything rather than talking normally in an enthusiastic tone like Billy did. If we can’t remaster the original audio or bring back the original attraction and ultimately decide to attempt a new version again, I’d prefer finding someone who can get somewhat in the range of Billy. High pitched but soft and “childlike” sounding. Again, similar to John Fiedler’s take on Piglet. I’d like to hope they could cast Corey Burton again since his Figment sounded practically spot on even with the lacking script he got. But in anycase, I just hope they’d find a voice that’s as close to the original as possible, depending on whether they decide to go with a completely new version or the original upgraded with new tech and effects (in that case, simply use Billy’s). We shall see

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Gilbert Gottfried?
Yeeeah, definitely not him. Doesn’t fit the character’s personality well enough. Figment is Innocent and childlike... not nasty & gruff. Though... something fascinating some of you may or may not know is when they were first finding the vocal roles for Dreamfinder & Figment, initially they had Paul Frees & Robin Williams in mind, but they couldn’t get them with the allocated budget they had. John Byner, the voice of Gurgi in Black Cauldron was another choice for Figment also. But Tony Baxter felt it didn’t sound childlike enough. So.. eventually that’s how we got Billy as Figment and Chuck McCann as the Dreamfinder. 🙂

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

He was already used in the Tiki Room bird.
Plus I think he has been black listed in the entertainment (if not mistaken) liberal ABC will uphold all blockades
No problem, it was only a joke anyway. I figured there would be a bit of negative reaction. Gilbert does have some very good uses, like in the movie, but, the Tiki Room was not a good idea especially for returning guests that had been there in the past. Many of us had some very fond memories of the Tiki Room and Gilbert's voice was like fingernails scraping on a chalkboard in that attraction.

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
And just remembered he already voices another purple dragon, it's perfect really, it's fate.

Tom Kenny for figment 2018
If we’re making JII more like Spyro, JII in the current building would only be one-thirds complete and you have to walk to the old WOL building to experience the other two-thirds.

Inspired Figment

If we’re making JII more like Spyro, JII in the current building would only be one-thirds complete and you have to walk to the old WOL building to experience the other two-thirds.
TBH, I really hope Disney takes notice of how successful the Spyro Reignited Trilogy turns out. Perhaps the notion will finally pop into their head: “Woah.. wait a minute.. purple dragons are still really popular and relevant these days? Hey, we’ve got a far more likable, beloved purple dragon character also.... maybe we ought to give Journey Into Imagination the exact same treatment the Spyro trilogy got. Clearly, going back to the original formula redone with technology and effect upgrades worked in their case, perhaps that’ll also work for us.
7A17159C-7E9A-4C89-B026-F4D11FB35E6D.jpeg

PS: I’m shocked Disney didn’t sue Insomniac for basically copying Figment’s character design when the game was released.. lol! It’s literally like they just combined Sonic & Figment together and called it a new character. 😂 Oh well. Then again, the 1st game was released exactly one month before the original ride closed.. so perhaps Disney just didn’t care at that point. Who knows... but it certainly wouldnt surprise me if Spyro’s character design and color palette was inspired by Figment in any way.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom