Who remembers Mystery Fun House?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Man, I loved it! We went the first time we were in Orlando in 1991. We also did Magic Kingdom, Busch Gardens and Sea World that year. But every time we went to Orlando we never missed Mystery Fun House. When I went in 2002 I was surprised to hear it had closed.

It was open from 1976 to 2001. Then for a while it was used as a Westgate Resorts check-in centre. Since Hurricane Irma it has been abandoned though from what I've read.

I miss the place. It was innocent fun. Had sort of an atmosphere to it that kept you coming back. Was on International Drive back in the day. Who remembers it?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Man, I loved it! We went the first time we were in Orlando in 1991. We also did Magic Kingdom, Busch Gardens and Sea World that year. But every time we went to Orlando we never missed Mystery Fun House. When I went in 2002 I was surprised to hear it had closed.

It was open from 1976 to 2001. Then for a while it was used as a Westgate Resorts check-in centre. Since Hurricane Irma it has been abandoned though from what I've read.

I miss the place. It was innocent fun. Had sort of an atmosphere to it that kept you coming back. Was on International Drive back in the day. Who remembers it?
Not quite I drive - it was on Major, opposite Universal and behind the Doubletree that’s on South Kirkman.

We went in 79, 81 and 87. And maybe 90.

The videos seem dead but lots of infos and photos:

The Empress Lilly

I loved this! Such a fun place for a kid.

I remember the mirror / glass maze room and that ladder.

We pestered our parents into staying near the funhouse one trip. :) (Can't beat the funhouse + Wet&Wild combo!)
Classic kid philosophy. Your parents work all year to fly you to Disney World, then the kid asks to spend all day at the airconditioned playground...

epcotisbest

The location, across from the twin building Doubletree Hotel on Major Blvd (which is within easy walking distance to Universal, especially now with the pedestrian bridge) was later, at one time one of those welcome center/info centers hawking free or cheap tickets in exchange for a timeshare tour.

disney4life2008

It's funny because Orlando of the 90s was great. I know people complained about the lack of nothing here but life was simple. Even on 192, disgusting. But I loved I lol. Now I4, international drive, and 192 are horrible.

Lilofan

It's funny because Orlando of the 90s was great. I know people complained about the lack of nothing here but life was simple. Even on 192, disgusting. But I loved I lol. Now I4, international drive, and 192 are horrible.
By the Mystery fun house I think there was a strip mall across the street by Publix. There was a pizza place called Stallone's. The owner was a cousin of the famous actor. He had pictures of his cousin Sly, throughout the small restaurant.

Dragonman

Featured in this video is rare footage of the Willy Wabbit animatronic that was placed in the Orlando airport and used to advertise the Mystery Fun House:
E0361846-DE72-4FEA-BD02-C966F8C4616F.jpeg

Tom Morrow

Yes it is! And don't get me started on the gentrification that is taking place.
10-15 years ago, 192 was a total slum. Now, it's actually not that bad. They've demolished much of the old abandoned structures and are working on the rest. Most of it has been spruced up. The portion west of Disney has seen a development boom.

International Drive from the south outlets to Sand Lake Road is one of the nicest roads in the state. Yes, it's still pretty trashy from Sand Lake to Universal Blvd, but it's getting better.

I4 is, well, I4. If we're talking about downtown Orlando, 10-15 years ago it too was a slum, and now it is a nice place to visit. There are positives to gentrification.

disney4life2008

10-15 years ago, 192 was a total slum. Now, it's actually not that bad. They've demolished much of the old abandoned structures and are working on the rest. Most of it has been spruced up. The portion west of Disney has seen a development boom.

International Drive from the south outlets to Sand Lake Road is one of the nicest roads in the state. Yes, it's still pretty trashy from Sand Lake to Universal Blvd, but it's getting better.

I4 is, well, I4. If we're talking about downtown Orlando, 10-15 years ago it too was a slum, and now it is a nice place to visit. There are positives to gentrification.
Umm no gentrification pushes out minority and underrepresented and low income people who have lived in the area all their lives. Then the government lies to say they will get a housing subsidy only to find out the $500,000 plus homes and buildings are out of reach. Gentrification is not a good thing and takes away ethnic neighborhoods. They are trying to do that in Paramore but I will not have it.

Cmdr_Crimson

Featured in this video is rare footage of the Willy Wabbit animatronic that was placed in the Orlando airport and used to advertise the Mystery Fun House:

Hard to believe that he was created by Aaron Fechter of Rock-A-Fire Explosion fame..As Creative Engineering is based in Orlando...
charindex.jpg

disney4life2008

Hard to believe that he was created by Aaron Fechter of Rock-A-Fire Explosion fame..As Creative Engineering is based in Orlando...
charindex.jpg

I have so many fond memories of showbiz in Chicago. 1980s and early 1990s. I remember the play pit that smelled like dirty feet and plastic lol. The delicious greesy cheese pizza. And the show lol. I remember McDonald's birthday parties with that delicious ice cold cake they had. Kids today just don't know what they missing.

Cmdr_Crimson

I have so many fond memories of showbiz in Chicago. 1980s and early 1990s. I remember the play pit that smelled like dirty feet and plastic lol. The delicious greesy cheese pizza. And the show lol. I remember McDonald's birthday parties with that delicious ice cold cake they had. Kids today just don't know what they missing.
You were in the pit of Jelousy if you didn't have a B-day party out at Showbiz, Chuck E's and especially McD's only to have yours at home...

Tom Morrow

Umm no gentrification pushes out minority and underrepresented and low income people who have lived in the area all their lives. Then the government lies to say they will get a housing subsidy only to find out the $500,000 plus homes and buildings are out of reach. Gentrification is not a good thing and takes away ethnic neighborhoods. They are trying to do that in Paramore but I will not have it.
I'll give you downtown Orlando, but this didn't happen on 192 and I-Drive. There was never anything to gentrify.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Does anyone know why Mystery Fun House closed in 2001? I went in 2002 still thinking it was open. There was a haunted house in Old Town but I can't remember the name of it. Anyways, it's gone now too. But was it more or less just financial why Fun House was shut down?

jeanericuser001

I remember all those years I pleaded with my parents to be able to go there but they chose other places. Then one day my mom said I could go there when I had the ability to do so on my own. Then as an adult I finally got to check it out without them and that is when I found it had burned down. :mad:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom