Who knows about the so called American Flags on Main Street USA, I do!

Tom Orrow

Original Poster
The reason I said so called American Flags was because there actually not American Flags.... technically. Every small flag on top of most of the buildings that run down Main Street USA have one less star and one less stripe which make them not American Flags due to that every flag pole that holds each flag is actually a lightning rod. So when lighting strikes it dosen't harm the American Flag also when an important person dies they don't have to lower all the Flags to half mast! I hope I provided you with a secret that you never knew! :wave:

trendicoff

The reason I said so called American Flags was because there actually not American Flags.... technically. Every small flag on top of most of the buildings that run down Main Street USA have one less star and one less stripe which make them not American Flags due to that every flag pole that holds each flag is actually a lightning rod. So when lighting strikes it dosen't harm the American Flag also when an important person dies they don't have to lower all the Flags to half mast! I hope I provided you with a secret that you never knew! :wave:

Glad to see new people getting into all the behind the scenes magic. I'll add on one more reason why they only put up faux American flags. An American flag must be taken down every night and that would be a heck of a lot of work for the CMs to have to take all those down. This way they can stay up overnight.

Rob562

Glad to see new people getting into all the behind the scenes magic. I'll add on one more reason why they only put up faux American flags. An American flag must be taken down every night and that would be a heck of a lot of work for the CMs to have to take all those down. This way they can stay up overnight.

From what I've heard, the flags are actually the 48-star version of the American flag, so they're not "fake" flags, but they're not official US flags and don't have to follow flag etiquette. (A real US flag can be left up overnight, but it has to be lit.)

You'll also find the 48-star flags on the Disney watercraft for the same reasons.

The only official flags on property are those that are taken down nightly, like the one in Town Square and on top of the Wilderness Lodge. There's one in front of Epcot, but I think it's lit at night.

-Rob

Rob562

Doesn't this also fit in with the time period? Maybe they realized all the convenience perks that go with it after planning them to be consistent.

No, a 48-star flag wasn't introduced until 1912, with the addition of New Mexico and Arizona.

At the turn-of-the-century, the US flag had 45 stars, from 1896 (when Utah joined) to 1907 (Oklahoma joined).

-Rob

Mickey1984

Stupid question but why does the flag need to come down every night (or be lit)? Is this a rule across the board, so if you had one at home it also has to come down?

Lilofan

True and if POTUS orders flags at half staff, this order must be followed. When Obama was in charge he ordered it at one time and the local Chick A FIl near my house refused to comply and the flag kept flying outside the restaurant.

cmwade77

The reason I said so called American Flags was because there actually not American Flags.... technically. Every small flag on top of most of the buildings that run down Main Street USA have one less star and one less stripe which make them not American Flags due to that every flag pole that holds each flag is actually a lightning rod. So when lighting strikes it dosen't harm the American Flag also when an important person dies they don't have to lower all the Flags to half mast! I hope I provided you with a secret that you never knew! đź‘‹
It also means they don't have to be lit every night. It is why there is a flag retreat for the one real flag on Main Street every day.

DisAl

Stupid question but why does the flag need to come down every night (or be lit)? Is this a rule across the board, so if you had one at home it also has to come down?

From an American Legion website on proper display of the flag:
§ 6. Time and occasions for display
(a) It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flag staffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.

In my opinion the most flagrant violations of flag etiquette are these:
§ 8. Respect for flag
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

If you would like to see the complete flag etiquette posting you can go to this link:
https://www.legion.org/flag/code

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom