Who Isn't Turning Into Condos??

CatLady

Another option is renting a house. Seriously. Some of the 2 bedroom houses near SeaWorld are in the $1,000 range and have garages or carports. No one can make that go condo. And the best part? No upstairs neighbors.

CatLady

For apartments, there are web sites like rent.net and apartments.com. That's how I found an apartment when I was living up north and moving to the area. For rental houses, try orlandosentinel.com classifieds.

Wilt Dasney

I've got to assume this will correct itself naturally over time. Most of Disney's CM's can't afford condos, and if it's really as tough to find an apartment as I'm hearing, it's going to become near impossible for Disney to hire new people. Eventually, the cost of commuting will start eating up people's paychecks, and minimum-wage workers will just stop looking at LBV as an option.

Once that happens, a lot of the area's attractions will probably have to scale back their operations, and the area might lose some of its appeal for people who can afford condos. Those people might be less inclined to pick the area, if a lot of the tourist attractions are no longer able to operate fully due to lack of staffing. (Of course, the question of whether residents settle into a tourist area for tourist attractions in the first place is a fair one. This is all hypothetical.)

I'm certainly no economics professor, but anyone can see that when you start squeezing low-pay workers out of affordable housing in an area that thrives on a low-pay workforce, then something's gotta give.

speck76

Wilt Dasney said:
I've got to assume this will correct itself naturally over time. Most of Disney's CM's can't afford condos, and if it's really as tough to find an apartment as I'm hearing, it's going to become near impossible for Disney to hire new people. Eventually, the cost of commuting will start eating up people's paychecks, and minimum-wage workers will just stop looking at LBV as an option.

Once that happens, a lot of the area's attractions will probably have to scale back their operations, and the area might lose some of its appeal for people who can afford condos. Those people might be less inclined to pick the area, if a lot of the tourist attractions are no longer able to operate fully due to lack of staffing. (Of course, the question of whether residents settle into a tourist area for tourist attractions in the first place is a fair one. This is all hypothetical.)

I'm certainly no economics professor, but anyone can see that when you start squeezing low-pay workers out of affordable housing in an area that thrives on a low-pay workforce, then something's gotta give.
I had mentioned this a while back during the union thing

New apartments are not being built in Orlando, and many are going Condo...and are overpriced at that.

Most likely Disney will do what other companies :lookaroun have done...go international, and use college interns......subsidize the housing.....

Wilt Dasney

speck76 said:
I had mentioned this a while back during the union thing

New apartments are not being built in Orlando, and many are going Condo...and are overpriced at that.

Most likely Disney will do what other companies :lookaroun have done...go international, and use college interns......subsidize the housing.....
That's an interesting point. If this trend continues, will the number of openings on the CP explode in order to make up for the regular staff shortage that it will inevitably cause? I don't know if Vista and Chatham are near capacity now, but another CP housing complex would be pretty simple to whip up, I'd think.

Melika05

Stumbled on this topic and wanted to mention where I live. I'm just off the corner of John Young Parkway at Central Florida Parkway. We're a brand new apartment complex called Alta Grande. Some construction is actually still going on in the back buildings, so a lot of time to find a place. We've got people moving in every day! I've been here since July, and so far everything has been wonderful.

If you want more info, you can check out the website at www.altagrande.com Maybe this will help someone who's looking :)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
my place is now Condos. Lakefront at Metrowest is now Tradewinds Condominiums.

And not a single tenant that I've spoken to is willing to pay what they want... in fact, not many people are willing to pay what they're selling the condos for. Only a few corporate housing companies have bought them to sublet them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom