Who are disney's biggest competitors now?

roundbear

Original Poster
In terms of the studio entertainment division like movies, who is left to challenge Disney since Pixar is now part of disney?

Bairstow

Just about everyone.
Since Disney-owned studios are putting out everything form family animation (Chicken Little) to action (Pirates of the Caribbean: In Other People's Novels), to tween live-action musical comedies (Sniper School Musical) Disney faces competition from all of the other major American studios.

Also, Pixar never "challenged" Disney at all. Even before buying them out Disney distributed and partially financed every full-length motion picture Pixar made.

Disneys biggest competition will always be Dreamworks. They are the studio that churns out the next best product. Though I've never been a Shrek fan, I loved both Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon. The quality of those two films, especially Panda was very high. Dreamworks really managed to make themselves look good at a time when Disney was floundering with poor stories that were ruining a good portion of their animated films.

I'm unsure of which studio was responsible for Despicable Me, but it was a another film that was really good and seemed to show up the Disney films released around that timeframe (which wasn't that long ago). The film didn't have the technical beauty of Kung Fu Panda (if you don't agree, look at the actual character models in that movie...they are amazing.), but it's simplicity really allowed the movie to focus on it's story. I guess we'll see how much of a competitor they will be with whatever their next film will be.

I do disagree that Pixar was not competition for Disney though. Even though Disney was partially financing their projects, they really were showing up Disneys feature animation department. They had hit after hit while again, Disney was floundering. Pixar was able to create solid stories and lovable characters that helped to support those stories. Disney really struggled to create anything of Pixars quality. They continued attempting to do so with traditional animated films, but because of the poor, disjointed stories and forgettable characters Disney wasn't able to keep up.

Fast forward a couple years beyond that and Disney, in it's attempt to keep up with Pixar dumps in traditional animation department in favor of 3D animated films and subsequently turns out mediocre animated films while Pixar continues to thrive and win Best Animated Film awards that at one point would've belonged to Disney outright. Pixar as a seperate entity was showing the world that your name didn't have to be "Disney" to be able to create these timeless stories. They became what Disney had lost...the best animation department in North America and in most of the world.

Pixars success forced Disney to push their product through the production pipelines faster than usual and Disney ignored important steps in creating well rounded animated films. Those start with a great story and compelling, memorable characters....not what Home on the Range handed us (and that film was in production for a long time).

Those're just my thoughts on the competition...I do understand that Pixars films were partially financed by Disney, but keep in mind that Disney had no creative control over what Pixar was doing in their movies.

flavious27

In terms of the studio entertainment division like movies, who is left to challenge Disney since Pixar is now part of disney?

Everyone and their grandmother on youtube. The only division with in disney that has seen less competition is the parks and resorts division.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom