Whispering Canyon Change

Phil12

I think Disney is thinking about the overall health and well being of its guests. It's important to eat every snack and meal in a calm, relaxed state with a tranquil peace of mind.

Tom P.

Interesting. So they don't mention anything about the reducing participation by hotel guests visiting in their nightclothes...

I agree that promoting participation by reducing volume is an odd take. It does imply that there is something specific about the volume. It's not totally implausible that this is the result of some actual study and thinking. Do some guests find the original high volume too intimidating?
Wait... are you suggesting that Disney might have done something for a valid reason? That it's possible they might have thought something through and responded to actual evidence rather than just make a split decision based on flawed logic? You aren't going so far as to suggest that Disney might not actually be evil are you? That is just crazy talk.

HauntedMansion513

Sad to hear. Ate there for the first time in 2016 and didn't know the theme behind the restaurant. Well, I was the guy who asked for ketchup... Boy, was that a surprise! The kids seemed to love it as they all ran up and put a ton of ketchup bottles on our table. And also, got a gigantic cup of water after asking for a few too many refills.

It was an absolutely memorable dining experience, girlfriend couldn't stop laughing, and like I said, the kids who got to run the ketchup to the different tables were loving every second of it. Sad to hear that a few lousy people had to complain and get it changed. Hopefully it'll go back.

habuma

As someone else has stated, this went away once, then came back with the red/green indicators, then came back in full. Taking that into account along with the statement that there are changes coming to both restaurants in the near future, I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that WCC may go down for some sprucing up and reopen with something to help limit the noise to the restaurant itself. A wall blocking it off from the lobby might help...Sound-dampeners in the ceiling would also help. Then we can all get back to yelling "We want ketchup!" at the top of our lungs with impudence.

In all honesty, though, I've stayed at WCC and have hung out in the lobby, and never felt that the restaurant activities were ruining my experience. In fact, I can't say that I even noticed much/any noise from the restaurant while in the lobby. Maybe others are more sensitive to that than me.

FWIW, one of my most memorable experiences at WCC was during Hurricane Irma. We were all locked up in the hotel to brace the storm and the Country Bears were entertaining guests at WCC. We asked for ketchup and none other than Big Al, Shaker, and Liverlips brought armloads of ketchup to our table! It was a riot!

CaptainAmerica

Just speculating, but I think part of the problem might be that the Wilderness Lodge doesn't have an alternative family dining location for guests who want a sit-down meal without the shtick.

Lots of you are talking about the impact this will have on non-Wilderness Lodge guests who visit specifically for Whispering Canyon, but I don't think this change was about them. It was about the Wilderness Lodge resort guests. Every other Deluxe resort on property offers family dining in a relaxed atmosphere and at a normal volume. Wilderness Lodge offers no such option. If you want a table service meal, it's either the barnyard atmosphere of Whispering Canyon or the extremely expensive fine dining atmosphere of Artist Point. It's a reasonable expectation for guests to want to be able to have a family meal in peace.

Sad to hear. Ate there for the first time in 2016 and didn't know the theme behind the restaurant. Well, I was the guy who asked for ketchup... Boy, was that a surprise! The kids seemed to love it as they all ran up and put a ton of ketchup bottles on our table. And also, got a gigantic cup of water after asking for a few too many refills.

It was an absolutely memorable dining experience, girlfriend couldn't stop laughing, and like I said, the kids who got to run the ketchup to the different tables were loving every second of it. Sad to hear that a few lousy people had to complain and get it changed. Hopefully it'll go back.
But you just said yourself, you went there not knowing the theme. It just so happens that the theme worked with your personality, but there are lots of people who might visit not knowing the theme who would have borderline anxiety attacks if a waiter drew all that attention to them with the ketchup.

crxbrett

Just speculating, but I think part of the problem might be that the Wilderness Lodge doesn't have an alternative family dining location for guests who want a sit-down meal without the shtick.

Lots of you are talking about the impact this will have on non-Wilderness Lodge guests who visit specifically for Whispering Canyon, but I don't think this change was about them. It was about the Wilderness Lodge resort guests. Every other Deluxe resort on property offers family dining in a relaxed atmosphere and at a normal volume. Wilderness Lodge offers no such option. If you want a table service meal, it's either the barnyard atmosphere of Whispering Canyon or the extremely expensive fine dining atmosphere of Artist Point. It's a reasonable expectation for guests to want to be able to have a family meal in peace.

You make a very good point, Cap. I am in the camp that is bummed that Disney management is changing it and thinks the place is losing a lot of it's appeal by being toned down, but this is a great point you make.

Lensman

You might be onto something here.

I hesitate to bring up DVC since it seems to be a sensitive topic, but I'll take my cue from WCC and be brash.

Did the Boulder Ridge DVC expansion resulted in a net increase in rooms, right? I wonder if they'll be able to support an additional table service location? I hope they can find room for one. Or do too many of the DVC folks eat in?

HauntedMansion513

But you just said yourself, you went there not knowing the theme. It just so happens that the theme worked with your personality, but there are lots of people who might visit not knowing the theme who would have borderline anxiety attacks if a waiter drew all that attention to them with the ketchup.

Ok, but by your logic, we should change the Haunted Mansion in case there's a family who has an adverse reaction to the hanging scene. Not everything will work with everyone. I'm a big proponent of doing your own research. If something offended me, I would've likely blamed myself for not looking into it enough. When you try to please everyone, you please no one.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

The times I’ve visited Whispering Canyon we’ve been seated in the less populated back section where it’s much less noisy but still fun. So it is possible to eat there “in peace”.

The horror.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
General statement, not aimed at anyone specifically - If YOU have an anxiety problem, or problems with noise, YOU make accommodations for it, you cannot expect everyone else to change for you. But, these days, that's what people do - complain and expect the majority to change for them. :mad: Didn't read the description of WCC before booking an ADR there? Then you have zero basis to complain about it once you're there.

Here's hoping the traditional WCC experience returns sooner rather than later, as has happened before.

Lensman

So if the only change implemented was a reduction in volume and otherwise all the antics will continue, does that change the vibe that much? I do think it changes the vibe somewhat since the level of energy will be lower. OTOH, having to listen more closely or even to help pass along the message that someone needs ketchup might be even more fun - it might increase the anticipation of someone needing ketchup.

BTW, why did they have to get rid of the coasters? I do think that coasters make opting out too easy unless a table has to unanimously opt out.

CaptainAmerica

Ok, but by your logic, we should change the Haunted Mansion in case there's a family who has an adverse reaction to the hanging scene. Not everything will work with everyone. I'm a big proponent of doing your own research. If something offended me, I would've likely blamed myself for not looking into it enough. When you try to please everyone, you please no one.
It's called The HAUNTED Mansion. "Whispering Canyon Cafe" conveys absolutely nothing about the nature of the experience inside. People who stay at deluxe resorts, or any high end resorts on the planet, have a reasonable expectation of being able to eat a normal meal at their hotel.

CaptainAmerica

Didn't read the description of WCC before booking an ADR there?
No, most people don't. Especially the ones staying AT the Wilderness Lodge. Most of them think "I'm staying at the Wilderness Lodge and this is the restaurant that's there so that's where I'm going to eat dinner on Tuesday." They're not all experts who have been to WDW 20 times or belong to forums or read The Unofficial Guide every year.

Of the people who want to eat a normal meal at their hotel's restaurant and the people who want a meal where the wait staff shouts all night and makes fun of the guests, it ain't the first group who are making an unreasonable request.

I have no problem with Whispering Canyon, but I do have a problem with it as the only family restaurant at Wilderness Lodge. Build another restaurant at WL and WC can be a full on rodeo for all I care.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I’ll say it before and I’ll say it again - you got a complaint? Send it to:

George.Kalogridis@disney.com

Then, hit them where it hurts - cancel whatever you’re upset about changing. Emailing George K. and canceling was the only thing that caused Highway in the Sky dining experience to be restored from the cheapened version Disney tried to pass off for $149 a person (and at $149 a person, I do not expect to drink champagne out of a plastic cup).

Hit. Them. Where. It. Hurts. It’s the only way they’ll listen.

CaptainAmerica

I’ll say it before and I’ll say it again - you got a complaint? Send it to:

George.Kalogridis@disney.com

Then, hit them where it hurts - cancel whatever you’re upset about changing. Emailing George K. and canceling was the only thing that caused Highway in the Sky dining experience to be restored from the cheapened version Disney tried to pass off for $149 a person (and at $149 a person, I do not expect to drink champagne out of a plastic cup).

Hit. Them. Where. It. Hurts. It’s the only way they’ll listen.
Dude use your brain cells. People DID complain because they didn't like WC. This is them responding to guest feedback.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Amazing that in the 24 years the Lodge has existed they were still able to operate at or near full capacity if this restaurant was that big of a distraction. If it truly was that big of a distraction, there are other things they can do to dampen the sound like put up a wall with smaller openings toward the lobby, or sound dampeners in the ceiling for the rooms right above it.

Unless I am missing that it has become a hot spot for out of hand adult parties normally seen in Vegas... last I was there Whispering Canyon was no more out of hand, or loud than the other times I have even been there..

Funny thing though is occupancy fell to a rumored 50%...

Then the “change” happened and they called to the bullpen.

Teepees and “waterside” wine bars

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom