Which restaurants are too nice for kids?

aliceismad

Original Poster
We love good restaurants, particularly my husband, who will turn 40 during our WDW trip. But while we’re on vacation, we’d prefer to keep our 5 year old with us for meals. She’s well behaved (for her age) and is an adventurous eater (loves seafood in particular). But I wouldn’t dream of taking her to Victoria and Alberts. Are all the signature restaurants too nice for kids? What about places like Chefs de Paris?

For example, we’d love to try Morimoto, but I’d rather not feel out of place or make the experience unpleasant for us, our daughter, and other guests if kids aren’t expected there.

Minnie Mum

You couldn't take her to V&As even if you wanted to. They have a minimum age limit (10 or 12, I can't remember which). Other than that, you are allowed to take her anywhere.

But what you are likely referring to are the signature restaurants. Some are generally fairly quiet and "adult" in ambiance, like M. Paul, Jiko, or Citricos (in our past visits). Others may be noisier ( Cali Grill immediately springs to mind). All restaurants list their menus, so you can look at them - they all have kids menus too- to see if she would be happy with the food offered. The biggest concern at the signatures (for all of the other diners in the restaurant), is the ability of the child to behave. Not "for her age", but can sit at the table without being noisy and disruptive for the length of the dinner. Which for a multi course signature meal might easily be 1 1/2 hours, or up to 2 hrs. You'll find young children at all of the restaurants, signature or not. Some are well behaved, while others are complete hellions.

Neither Chef's de France nor Morimotos are signatures.

aliceismad

Original Poster
You couldn't take her to V&As even if you wanted to. They have a minimum age limit (10 or 12, I can't remember which). Other than that, you are allowed to take her anywhere.

But what you are likely referring to are the signature restaurants. Some are generally fairly quiet and "adult" in ambiance, like M. Paul, Jiko, or Citricos (in our past visits). Others may be noisier ( Cali Grill immediately springs to mind). All restaurants list their menus, so you can look at them - they all have kids menus too- to see if she would be happy with the food offered. The biggest concern at the signatures (for all of the other diners in the restaurant), is the ability of the child to behave. Not "for her age", but can sit at the table without being noisy and disruptive for the length of the dinner. Which for a multi course signature meal might easily be 1 1/2 hours, or up to 2 hrs. You'll find young children at all of the restaurants, signature or not. Some are well behaved, while others are complete hellions.

Neither Chef's de France nor Morimotos are signatures.
Thanks! This is really helpful and exactly what I'm looking for.

Our daughter has certainly sat for long meals before, but realistically, 2 hours might be too much for her, especially at Disney, where there is so much going on every day. I would never want to disrupt other diners (who are playing for that adult ambiance and an expensive dinner).

Regarding Morimoto Asia, it is listed as Fine/Signature Dining on the website, which is why I wasn't sure. The elegance level of various restaurants can be hard to determine. :)

Club Cooloholic

We love good restaurants, particularly my husband, who will turn 40 during our WDW trip. But while we’re on vacation, we’d prefer to keep our 5 year old with us for meals. She’s well behaved (for her age) and is an adventurous eater (loves seafood in particular). But I wouldn’t dream of taking her to Victoria and Alberts. Are all the signature restaurants too nice for kids? What about places like Chefs de Paris?

For example, we’d love to try Morimoto, but I’d rather not feel out of place or make the experience unpleasant for us, our daughter, and other guests if kids aren’t expected there.
Chefs de Paris is fine!

zurgandfriend

I have to agree with everyone, other than V&A go for it. Most especially if she well behaved and adventurous. We took our DS with us everywhere and he always behaved because he went to restaurants. We always had paper and crayons for him. I remember him coloring away in the California Grill and stopping to tell the server “I’ll have the beef filet medium please” and resume his coloring.

aliceismad

Original Poster
I have to agree with everyone, other than V&A go for it. Most especially if she well behaved and adventurous. We took our DS with us everywhere and he always behaved because he went to restaurants. We always had paper and crayons for him. I remember him coloring away in the California Grill and stopping to tell the server “I’ll have the beef filet medium please” and resume his coloring.
Love it!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Our daughter has certainly sat for long meals before, but realistically, 2 hours might be too much for her, especially at Disney, where there is so much going on every day. I would never want to disrupt other diners (who are playing for that adult ambiance and an expensive dinner).

Regarding Morimoto Asia, it is listed as Fine/Signature Dining on the website, which is why I wasn't sure. The elegance level of various restaurants can be hard to determine. :)

I've eaten at Morimoto's. The atmosphere is not Disney. I'd check the menu to make sure there's something your daughter would eat.

aliceismad

Original Poster
I've eaten at Morimoto's. The atmosphere is not Disney. I'd check the menu to make sure there's something your daughter would eat.
Thanks for the advice! She would definitely eat there happily. DH is half Asian, and we eat Asian food often. She’s not a fan of spicy yet, though I’m not either. The atmosphere being more upscale/adult is what concerns me most.

correcaminos

Only V&A. They have an age limit.

A place like Moritmoto would be fine. Then again save a truly fine dinning experience (like V&A) we go out as a family to all other types without issues. While Moritmoto Asia isn't quite the level of the flagship location, it's still quite good. I've had friends take 4yo children there no problem.

aliceismad

Original Poster
I didn't think it was anything special and plenty of options for kids.... Frankly, it is by far the most disappointing Morimoto place ive been to... Doesn't hold a candle to Vegas, Napa or Phily...
Well that’s unfortunate, though it wouldn’t really surprise me all that much. Thanks for the info!

Phonedave

You are trying to be considerate of others. Unfortunately, many people at WDW do not feel this way. Yes, it is a family place, and yes kids should be allowed (V&A is a whole other subject, and not part of this discussion). Diners should expect to have kids around and at times kids will be kids. You may hear a loud kid, a kid may throw something, a kid may cry - and everybody should expect that.

However, many parents at WDW seem to take the attitude of "I'm at WDW and whatever my kid does is fine" - Cry at the top of their lungs for 20 minutes - no problem. Throw food across the restaurant - go for it, multiple times.

You sound like you take care of your daughter, like to have her experience new things, and at the same time remain considerate of other guests at the restaurant. With this attitude, you will be just fine anywhere on property.

I have had my kids in various signature restaurants when they were very young. I made sure they behaved, they had a good time, tried new foods, and did not bother anybody. If they were tired because of a long day and started to have a melt down, I took them out of the dining room, calmed them down, and then came back.

aliceismad

Original Poster
You are trying to be considerate of others. Unfortunately, many people at WDW do not feel this way. Yes, it is a family place, and yes kids should be allowed (V&A is a whole other subject, and not part of this discussion). Diners should expect to have kids around and at times kids will be kids. You may hear a loud kid, a kid may throw something, a kid may cry - and everybody should expect that.

However, many parents at WDW seem to take the attitude of "I'm at WDW and whatever my kid does is fine" - Cry at the top of their lungs for 20 minutes - no problem. Throw food across the restaurant - go for it, multiple times.

You sound like you take care of your daughter, like to have her experience new things, and at the same time remain considerate of other guests at the restaurant. With this attitude, you will be just fine anywhere on property.

I have had my kids in various signature restaurants when they were very young. I made sure they behaved, they had a good time, tried new foods, and did not bother anybody. If they were tired because of a long day and started to have a melt down, I took them out of the dining room, calmed them down, and then came back.

Thanks! We try hard to know our kiddo's limitations but also challenge her. When she was 2, we took a cruise and booked a specialty restaurant. We were told it was a family-oriented place, similar to that on another line we had previously traveled on. Once we got there, it was much more quiet than we anticipated, and I did end up taking my kiddo out of the restaurant early when she got fussy, despite the servers' assurance that we were fine and children were expected. We just didn't feel comfortable. So I guess that's why I'm asking now. A family-friendly destination doesn't mean EVERYTHING is child appropriate! I'm glad to hear that most places should be ok for us. She's only been to Disney once for 2 days and the only TS place we tried was Sanaa for dinner.

Hockey89

I will never forget being a CG which the hippie parents staring at their phones as their three kids(4-10 in ages best guess) were running around the place... Laying on the ground... Banging on the window next to my table until I told them to get back to their seats and be quiet...

Weather_Lady

If your daughter is well-behaved and adventurous, other than V&A's, there's nowhere on property that she wouldn't be welcome.

Also, in choosing restaurants, keep in mind that "signature" doesn't always mean "better" in terms of food quality -- sometimes it just means "more expensive" or "more pretentious." (I learned this lesson all too well on our last trip, when my mass-produced counter-service lobster roll at Columbia Harbor House in the Magic Kingdom proved to be far superior in terms of taste and execution than the rubbery, overcooked lobster I was served the next day at the California Grill! The bitter taste of of my disappointment still lingers.) Don't be shy about checking out menus and reviews for anywhere that interests you.

Last edited:

aliceismad

Original Poster
If your daughter is well-behaved and adventurous, other than V&A's, there's nowhere on property that she wouldn't be welcome.

Also, in choosing restaurants, keep in mind that "signature" doesn't always mean "better" in terms of food quality -- sometimes it just means "more expensive" or "more pretentious." (I learned this lesson all too well on our last trip, when my mass-produced counter-service lobster roll at Columbia Harbor House in the Magic Kingdom proved to be far superior in terms of taste and execution than the rubbery, overcooked lobster I was served the next day at the California Grill! The taste of of my disappointment still lingers.) Don't be shy about checking out menus and reviews for anywhere that interests you.
True! We will definitely check the menus AND reviews! It'll help me survive the long, long wait. ;) But my DH has a fondness for certain celebrity chefs, so Morimoto's and a few other Disney Springs places are on his radar already.

danyoung56

I've been in Disney World restaurants many times when "kids will be kids". For instance, crowding up to the windows in the Coral Reef to see the fish. Kids have never bothered me. I'm only bothered by idiot parents who don't know what to do with misbehaving kids. Another for instance, and again in the Coral Reef, a 4 year old princess decided to sit UNDER her table and scream at the top of her lungs. Her idiot parents ignored this behavior for about 20 minutes - sure made my fine dining experience uncomfortable!

On the other hand, I was seated next to a young couple and their 3-ish daughter. They had brought a portable DVD player, and the child was happily watching cartoons while the parents enjoyed their meal (and a little bit of quiet!).

It sounds like your child will be just fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom