Which resort to pick? Help me choose.

Crazyredheads

Original Poster
Hi guys, I just booked my flight to Florida and was wanting to spend the last 4 days of our vacation visiting Universal. We are driving from Clearwater to Orlando on Sunday, March 3rd and flying home on Thursday, March 7th. The kids really want to visit the Harry Potter Land.

We've been to Universal twice before but only for 2 nights each time. The first time, it was alone with my husband and we stayed at the Royal Pacific. We loved the grounds but found the room a little small and a little dark (it was before they were refurbished). The second time we travelled with the kids and stayed at Hard Rock (with the kids). We liked the large rooms and the cool vibe and especially the close proximity of the parks (5-10 min. walk).

This time we are staying 4 night and hope to take advantage of the pools. The best deal I found for us Canadians is on Costco Travel for a stay at Saphire Falls for 4 nights and includes a 4-day park to park ticket for $2,779 CAD. If not there is also a 4-night package for Portofino Bay including tickets for $3880.

If we book with another site, I calculated that it would cost us $3,600 CAD for Royal Pacific and $3,840 CAD for Hard Rock (including tickets)

My husband thinks we should stay at any of three Deluxe Resorts so we can take advantage of the Express Pass. With a crowd level of 5/10 or 6/10 for that week, I don't know if it is necessary or if it is worth the extra cost.

I am really torn and have no idea what to pick. Please help!

JoeCamel

It comes down to express passes. Are they worth the difference to you?
Might not need them but always nice to have.
SF bathroom doors are sliders that hang so if that makes a difference to you?

trr1

If you want express pass's stay at one of the three premier hotels
if not there is the preferred hotel of Sapphire Falls or the two prime value hotels which are the new Aventura Hotel and Cabana Bay which has two massive pools, a winding lazy river, a bowling alley two new towers and family suite and is next to Volcano Bay

Disneyhead'71

Portofino has a great family pool and very large rooms. And the Express Passes are always a plus. I love Portofino Bay.

Cabana Bay has the best pools, family suites and super easy access to Volcano Bay, but it doesn't have express passes. If you go the Cabana Bay route you could always buy Express Passes as an add on. You wouldn't really need 4 days of Express Passes. A day or 2 would be enough to make sure you see everything. But if you do that, I would do it on you last days there because the Express Passes really do spoil you. If a large room and pool time is a priority, a family suite at Cabana Bay with add on Express Passes would be a great option. And some of the family suites have awesome views.

Room-with-view-Cabana-Bay-Tower1.jpg

Last edited:

Crazyredheads

Original Poster
It comes down to express passes. Are they worth the difference to you?
Might not need them but always nice to have.
SF bathroom doors are sliders that hang so if that makes a difference to you?
My husband thinks the passes are worth it. I guess if I,m staying on property anyways, might as well pick one of the three resorts that offer the passes

Crazyredheads

Original Poster
You might be better off buying annual passes which are park to park? I don't know how much one would be in Canadian money? Did they break down the prices person or per ticket plus room? It's $304 US plus tax for an annual pass which has 6 bonus months right now and the pass doesn't start till your first day in the parks. Might be a better option. Not sure if AP's are US only?

Annual passes also can give you room discounts sometimes very good discounts but discounts for March 3rd aren't posted yet. That's a little early for spring break they may be running some discounts but no way to know until they publish them. Anyone here knows whether room discounts for AP's is common for that time of year? Should be before any spring break action.

If you want express passes I would go for The Portofino, large rooms especially the bathrooms and a nice pool area. All around nice resort.
I did buy an annual pass on my first trip to Universal since I went back later that same year. It was really worth it especially with the saving on hotel and food.

Right now a 2-day park to park ticket with 2 extra days free is being offered. It will cost my family a total of $1,300 CAD for all 4 of us. I don't think it is worth buying an annual pass since we won't have a chance to visit Universal again this year.

Crazyredheads

Original Poster
Portofino has a great family pool and very large rooms. And the Express Passes are always a plus. I love Portofino Bay.

Cabana Bay has the best pools, family suites and super easy access to Volcano Bay, but it doesn't have express passes. If you go the Cabana Bay route you could always buy Express Passes as an add on. You wouldn't really need 4 days of Express Passes. A day or 2 would be enough to make sure you see everything. But if you do that, I would do it on you last days there because the Express Passes really do spoil you. If a large room and pool time is a priority, a family suite at Cabana Bay with add on Express Passes would be a great option. And some of the family suites have awesome views.

Room-with-view-Cabana-Bay-Tower1.jpg
Wow, what a view. That is amazing! I am so confused. Cabana bay looks so cool but I don't know if I will be using the pools that much since the first week of March, the weather can be still chilly. Portofino looks lovely too in a different way.

OG Runner

Stay at the Portofino! Nice rooms, nice atmosphere. The boats over to the parks were always on time.
You said you stayed at the Pacifica and the Hard Rock. Try something new. I am sure you will be pleased.

Crazyredheads

Original Poster
I've decided to stay at a deluxe for the Express Pass. It is March Break and Mardi Gras at that time of year and I don't want to be in long lines frustrated that I did not splurge for that Express Pass.

I think I narrowed it down to two resorts: Hard Rock or Portofino Bay. Royal Pacific grounds and pool are super nice but those small rooms are just not fun when you are a family of 4.

HRH has a cool pool area that my 8 and 12-year-old boys will love and it is really close to the parks which makes it fun if I want to come back to the hotel in the afternoon for a quick dip or a rest.

PBR looks really pretty and we've never been so it would be a new fun experience for the family. The rooms look big and comfy which is something we always enjoy.

Weather_Lady

With a stay of that length, I'd look into the cost of Seasonal Annual Passes, which are about the same price (or were a few months ago) as a 4-day park-to-park ticket. That would make you eligible for annual passholder discounts at the onsite hotels. (Just search on the loewshotels.com site, and in your search, click "Promotions" and enter "APH" in the code box to see if there are APH rates for your dates. You may find APH rates at some hotels and not others, or for some of your dates but not all -- I just search around until I find something.) Alternatively, call Universal and ask. A customer service rep. can also tell you what hotel(s) have APH rates for your dates.

For example, we're staying 4 nights in February. 3 nights at RPR (at $275/night APH rate, down from $409 rack rate for the same room), and one night at Sapphire Falls ($180/night APH rate, down from $256 rack rate for the same room). We split the stay only because we couldn't get all four nights at RPR at the APH rate, but seeing as that week is February break, I counted us lucky for being able to get APH rates at all! We're saving a ton, and we'll have Unlimited Express Pass for our party of 5 for all of our in-park days (we're not visiting a park on our last day), to boot!

Disneyhead'71

I've decided to stay at a deluxe for the Express Pass. It is March Break and Mardi Gras at that time of year and I don't want to be in long lines frustrated that I did not splurge for that Express Pass.

I think I narrowed it down to two resorts: Hard Rock or Portofino Bay. Royal Pacific grounds and pool are super nice but those small rooms are just not fun when you are a family of 4.

HRH has a cool pool area that my 8 and 12-year-old boys will love and it is really close to the parks which makes it fun if I want to come back to the hotel in the afternoon for a quick dip or a rest.

PBR looks really pretty and we've never been so it would be a new fun experience for the family. The rooms look big and comfy which is something we always enjoy.
Portofino is my favorite resort at UOR. The rooms are huge and very nice. Mama Della's is a great table service family restaurant. Also Sal's is a awesome counter service. The pools are also nice. You would not be disappointed with a stay at Portofino Bay.

Last edited:

Crazyredheads

Original Poster
With a stay of that length, I'd look into the cost of Seasonal Annual Passes, which are about the same price (or were a few months ago) as a 4-day park-to-park ticket. That would make you eligible for annual passholder discounts at the onsite hotels. (Just search on the loewshotels.com site, and in your search, click "Promotions" and enter "APH" in the code box to see if there are APH rates for your dates. You may find APH rates at some hotels and not others, or for some of your dates but not all -- I just search around until I find something.) Alternatively, call Universal and ask. A customer service rep. can also tell you what hotel(s) have APH rates for your dates.

For example, we're staying 4 nights in February. 3 nights at RPR (at $275/night APH rate, down from $409 rack rate for the same room), and one night at Sapphire Falls ($180/night APH rate, down from $256 rack rate for the same room). We split the stay only because we couldn't get all four nights at RPR at the APH rate, but seeing as that week is February break, I counted us lucky for being able to get APH rates at all! We're saving a ton, and we'll have Unlimited Express Pass for our party of 5 for all of our in-park days (we're not visiting a park on our last day), to boot!
I took your advice and checked out what the room would cost with the annual pass discount. After calculating it all it saves me $400 on the entire trip which is great.

I just booked my stay with the Annual Pass Discount and got a great deal thanks to you! We are staying at the Hard Rock Hotel finally! RPH rooms were not available (only suites) and PBH rooms were $400 more expensive. I think my boys will love HRH's cool Rock and Rock Vibe and the Underwater Pool music! I am so excited!

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I took your advice and checked out what the room would cost with the annual pass discount. After calculating it all it saves me $400 on the entire trip which is great.

I just booked my stay with the Annual Pass Discount and got a great deal thanks to you! We are staying at the Hard Rock Hotel finally! RPH rooms were not available (only suites) and PBH rooms were $400 more expensive. I think my boys will love HRH's cool Rock and Rock Vibe and the Underwater Pool music! I am so excited!

You gonna get a button soon. UOAP

Rob562

If you're looking to stay at Royal Pacific, keep checking occasionally to see if Passholder discounts show up. They're not always released for all hotels at the same time.

And sometimes if a big convention is coming they block out rooms for it. Unbooked rooms then go back into inventory after the group's deadline. (I think that's what we're up against the end of January. We prefer Sapphire Falls, but there are zero rooms available at any price level, even full price, so for the time being we're booked at Cabana Bay)

-Rob

Crazyredheads

Original Poster
See I always say check out the annual passes to people who are staying at Universal for a few days and when you run all the numbers most of the time the AP is the cheapest option whether you are coming back within a year or not. Think many people just think I'm only staying at Universal one time why would I get an AP?

BTW your AP's should be for 18 months and when they come up for renewal after that time period the price will go down. It's cheaper when renewing then the first time you buy them. Who knows maybe you'll take advantage of that?
You're right. I didn't check at first because I figured was only going once this year. Happy I did check finally!
Yes the AP is good for 18 months which is cool because I will try to get another trip in before it expires.
I didn't know renewing was cheaper so that is cool. Thanks

Crazyredheads

Original Poster
If you're looking to stay at Royal Pacific, keep checking occasionally to see if Passholder discounts show up. They're not always released for all hotels at the same time.

And sometimes if a big convention is coming they block out rooms for it. Unbooked rooms then go back into inventory after the group's deadline. (I think that's what we're up against the end of January. We prefer Sapphire Falls, but there are zero rooms available at any price level, even full price, so for the time being we're booked at Cabana Bay)

-Rob
Oh that is good to know. It will depend on price. I'll keep checking. If I get a better price for Royal Pacific I will switch for sure. The exchange is killing us Canadians right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom