Which resort for a new experience?

HouCuseChickie

That's tough...done both and each have pros.

Our last standard view at the Poly looked out on a bunch of foliage with some glimpses of the monorail beam. I really enjoyed that view. We were also right next to the GCH so we never had to go far. If all transportation is up and running and all restaurants are open, it also has some nice convenience factors...not to mention views of fireworks EWP when they are going.

Having a savanna view at AKL is also great. The rooms are noticeably smaller than the Poly's, but you can't beat relaxing on your balcony and looking at the animals. When all of the restaurants are open, having Boma, Jiko, and Sanaa is nice as well. Convenience is the only knock on AKL. We've had relatively good bus service, but it's all bus service, and when it's not running well...we've had some longer waits.

If all things are running as normal, I'd give the nod to the Poly.

nickys

Premium Member
Save AKL for when everything is open and more of the activities are back. I doubt that will be this year, so it all depends when this trip is going to be.

dmw

In the Parks
No
Save AKL for when everything is open and more of the activities are back. I doubt that will be this year, so it all depends when this trip is going to be.
Good point on the timing. I would not stay at the Poly without the monorail station and with all of the construction going on right now.

nickys

Premium Member
Good point on the timing. I would not stay at the Poly without the monorail station and with all of the construction going on right now.
From at least a couple of the DVC long houses, the TTC is as close as the Poly monorail station. From trip reports the Ceremonial House isn’t particularly affected, it’s just Ohana and a couple other places are closed. Both pools are open and quiet, since only the DVC rooms are open.

Weather_Lady

That's tough...done both and each have pros.

Our last standard view at the Poly looked out on a bunch of foliage with some glimpses of the monorail beam. I really enjoyed that view. We were also right next to the GCH so we never had to go far. If all transportation is up and running and all restaurants are open, it also has some nice convenience factors...not to mention views of fireworks EWP when they are going.

Having a savanna view at AKL is also great. The rooms are noticeably smaller than the Poly's, but you can't beat relaxing on your balcony and looking at the animals. When all of the restaurants are open, having Boma, Jiko, and Sanaa is nice as well. Convenience is the only knock on AKL. We've had relatively good bus service, but it's all bus service, and when it's not running well...we've had some longer waits.

If all things are running as normal, I'd give the nod to the Poly.
THIS!!! We've stayed at both and loved both, but would also give Poly a slight edge due to the transportation.

nickys

Premium Member
Poly is closed except for DVC villas during construction. AKL Jambo House is closed. I believe the Savanna rooms are in Kidani village. I would do that. One day I will, when I can afford it.
There are the DVC rooms open at Jambo, including some savanna views. Kidani would probably be better for first timers at AKL.

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Poly is closed except for DVC villas during construction. AKL Jambo House is closed. I believe the Savanna rooms are in Kidani village. I would do that. One day I will, when I can afford it.

Actually Poly is open... not just DVC. (For dates I was looking)
I'm aware that AKL is just DVC currently.
I'm not looking to book right now. Was just looking for opinions in general not necessarily Covid times specific.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Actually Poly is open... not just DVC.
I'm aware that AKL is just DVC currently.
I'm not looking to book right now. Was just looking for opinions in general not necessarily Covid times specific.

Most of Poly is closed with the exception being DVC.

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No

MickeyLuv'r

Both are nice.

If you are truly torn, you might look at the kind of deals/offers WDW offers for your dates, especially as your dates get closer. AKL usually costs less, but who knows what type of discounts WDW will offer for August.

Also what kind of park hours and features. Normally a plus of Poly is being able to watch fireworks from Poly, if Poly doesn't have fireworks and AKL has animals- that would be a big reason to favor AKL this year. It also depends how important the dining options are to you, and what is open at the time of your dates. If Poly reopens- that's a plus for Poly- to visit when it is newly refreshed.

If park hours also remain skimpy, then spending time at the resort will be more important than normal.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Depends on the "experience" you are looking for. AKL is going to give you some amazing experiences with the Savannah. Poly is going to give you some great experiences by easily being able to hop around several Deluxe resorts and enjoy many more options than you would have at AKL. Poly and GF for all intents and purposes are one big resort if you factor in the walkway that allows you to connect to the other in 5 minutes. It's similar to what you get when you stay at BC/YC/Boardwalk/Swolphin.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Given what was available in September and December, I would recommend the Polynesian over Animal Kingdom right now.

Kona Cafe, Captain Cooks, Tambu Lounge, and Captain Cooks' for Food, Bou tiki, and Moana Merchatile for shopping are open.

ALK however has very little open and its quite a haul to get anything else.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Given what was available in September and December, I would recommend the Polynesian over Animal Kingdom right now.

Kona Cafe, Captain Cooks, Tambu Lounge, and Captain Cooks' for Food, Bou tiki, and Moana Merchatile for shopping are open.

ALK however has very little open and its quite a haul to get anything else.
Wouldn’t that depend on the timefrane?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom