Which monorail resort should I choose?!?!

ob1thx1138

We are in the very early planning stages for our second trip to WDW, our first being last summer when we stayed 8 days at Port Orleans Riverside. We loved that resort and really didn't have much to complain about, but this trip we are considering staying at one of the monorail resorts. The My family consists of myself and my wife who are 36 and 37 and our two sons 17 and 9. Also my wife's 14 year old sister may be joining us on her first ever trip to WDW.

We are planning something around spring break of next year or possibly after new years, but then again it may be as late as the beginning of summer vacation (like I said still very early planning phase here. lol) We are again planning on staying at least 8 days (may throw in an extra night for a day off in the middle since I ended up having to get a hotel room last summer for a "extra unplanned off day" lol yea we were wore out after day 4)

My thinking is that the Grand Floridian would be too "fancy" for the boys and more suited to an adults only trip. The Contemporary just seems to lack an exciting theme that the kids would enjoy. So the Poly seems like the logical choice. I just know that we want a monorail resort for easy access and we love hearing the monorail door spiel lol.

So would you agree with my assumptions? The only facts I have to base any of this on is what I gathered when we ate at each of the resorts on our last trip. (1900 Park Fare Breakfast, Chef Mickey's Breakfast, Ohana breakfast, and Spirit of Aloha)

dave&di

Any monorail resort is a winner IMO, I have stayed at both GF and the Poly, my favourite is the GF but then its just my BF and I so perfect for us. I think you are right is thinking the Poly is more suited for your children. It is very family based. The eateries are brilliant, and suited to a range of ages.

Upvote 0

mike45248

Poly for sure

I have stayed at both the CR and Poly. They both have about the same size rooms. The Cr has the wing which is cheaper to stay in, but is a walk to the tower. Some will say you could walk to the MK, but from teh wing it is a good hike to get there. The Poly is a little spread out, but not bad at all. Staying in some of the longhouses closest to the TTC makes it easier to get to the MK by boat or Monorail and also get to Epoct a lot easier than the CR. Both resorts have advantages and disadvantages, but for us we like to stay at Poly. This is why we are going back this Sept to Poly and not CR.

Mike

Upvote 0

olinecoach61

Poly!

I would go with the poly. IMO it's the best hotel in the parks. We will be staying there again next July. If you request the Tahiti building you'll be very close to the TTC. The poly is romantic for the adults and fun for the kids, the pool is awesome, food is even better. You really feel like your in the south pacific while your at the hotel. Add in watching the water pageant at night from the beach or wishes being piped into the pool while you swim, what else do you need?

Upvote 0

bgraham34

While I have not stayed at any of those resorts but family members have and would take the Poly. Poly is a little more down to earth and very well themed. And the main pool is pretty cool. You always see more kids at the Poly than GF. The nice thing about the Contemporary is that you can walk to the MK.

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

Like a previous poster has already said, you can't go wrong with any of the monorail choices. Poly is a definite favorite for many, though we always pop into the Poly we will be staying there for the first time next month! Our current favorite is BLT because of it's close proximity to MK. We also love that it's not heavily traffiked since it's off of the Contemporary. I think you already have them broken down pretty accurately so it just depends on whether you want that over the top awesome theme of the Poly or the more toned down atmosphere of the Contemporary. GF is fabulous but may not be the best choice for your crew. All 3 have great dining options, (with GF being on the way fancier side), and you absolutely can not beat that monorail convenience! I would lean towards the Poly for you guys as well ! Happy planning. :wave:

Upvote 0

007mickey

Tough choices...

but most would envy your position. I know visiting Disney as a kid I remember riding the monorail through the Contemporary thinking "Wow, who are the lucky people that get to stay in this place". We finally stayed there last year and couldn't have been happier. The room was great, the restaurant choices were awesome and the walk to the MK might just be the best morning stroll you can take. Not to mention at night when your dragging your feet and hop the monorail, your the first stop. Any one you choose you are still only a stop or two away from enjoying the others. We ate 'Ohana, shopped around and just generally took in the theming of both Poly and GF. Oddly enough the 9 year old said he would really love to stay at the GF. Pick which one interests your family and enjoy, you can't go wrong!

Upvote 0

durangojim

When I was 16 or 17, my folks too me and a friend (we're both guys) on a 3 or 4 night trip to Disney and we stayed at the GF. This was about a year after it opened. It was definately not too fancy, and back then it was considered pretty upscale and exclusive which was cool to us. We met a couple pro NFL players staying there and for a couple of teenage guys there was an abundance of attractive females. The GF is a great resort but it is pricey, the contemporary seems too much like a regular hotel to me and the pool area looks dull. I'd say go for the GF or Poly and don't worry about the GF being stuffy. It's what you make of it.

Upvote 0

Bri1121

I vote Poly, we love it there. Whenever we plan our trip far enough in advance we stay there. We are going in August and I am still debating switching over to there!! You will love it!

Upvote 0

harveyt0206

but most would envy your position. I know visiting Disney as a kid I remember riding the monorail through the Contemporary thinking "Wow, who are the lucky people that get to stay in this place". We finally stayed there last year and couldn't have been happier. The room was great, the restaurant choices were awesome and the walk to the MK might just be the best morning stroll you can take. Not to mention at night when your dragging your feet and hop the monorail, your the first stop. Any one you choose you are still only a stop or two away from enjoying the others. We ate 'Ohana, shopped around and just generally took in the theming of both Poly and GF. Oddly enough the 9 year old said he would really love to stay at the GF. Pick which one interests your family and enjoy, you can't go wrong!

Totally agree with this post. The Contemporary is our favorite resort for all the reasons noted above, but we are two middle aged geezers with no kids, so we may not be the best demographic comparison for you. My husband almost refuses to stay anywhere else at this point. As others have said, you really can't go wrong with any of the monorail resorts. Have a great trip.

Upvote 0
Any of the monorail resorts would be fine, but with two boys I'd probably go with the Poly. My personal choice is the Contemporary (I love that you can walk to the MK) but I can see how not everyone likes the theming.

BUT! You threw a huge wrench into the whole situation when you mentioned the 14-year old SIL going along. No 14-year old girl wants to be in a room with 4 other people, particularly 2 young boys. I might try to get a one-bedroom at BLT. You'll be happy for the extra space.

You could also just not stay on the monorail and do two value rooms, a cabin at Ft. Wilderness, or even a DVC villa at AKL.

I think you'll all be a lot happier if the young girl has a little privacy and space.

Good luck whatever you choose. It's really generous of you to take your SIL on her first trip.

Upvote 0

Jakester

If you want quick access to Magic Kingdom, Choose Grand Floridian, If you want a beach type resort, the Poly, if you want a room with a view, the contemporary or baylake tower

Upvote 0

disneylemons

We have stayed in all 3 with age ranges from 6-70.. and the Poly wins hands down...:) Stayed at BLT last year with 9 of us and it was super nice and close to everything but missed the 'theme'.. you just can't do much better than the Poly!

Upvote 0

BrittanyRose428

I've stayed at GF and the Contemporary and from my experience I would rather stay at the GF if I were with my boyfriend than with a family, which is along the same lines of what you were saying. I would love to stay at the Polynesian just because of the theming there. But I did recently stay at the Contemporary and though some people think that the theming there is lacking I didn't think so at all. I think the theming is less noticeable compared to the other two monorail resorts but it was a beautiful hotel and I would definitely stay there again. It was also nice to be able to go right downstairs and have Chef Mickey's for breakfast.

Upvote 0

ob1thx1138

Original Poster
Wow thanks for all the great replies!!!

I think I have now narrowed it down to the Poly and Contemporary. So for those that have a preference, which would you prefer a theme park view room at the Cont. or the great theme of the Poly??

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

The Poly, by far, is our favorite resort! Having stayed at The Contemporary, Polynesian and Grand Floridian, given the age of your children, they may enjoy the Polynesian more IMHO. The Volcano pool is alot of fun!!! (For kids of all ages :animwink:)

Upvote 0

Scuttle

I would say don't stay at any since they no longer operate during extra magic hours. It's simply not worth the money anymore when you can't even enjoy the convenience of the monorail to take you back late at night. What the he'll is TDO thinking?

Upvote 0

Wendy517

First of all, consider which park you're likely to spend more time in. If the answer is the Magic Kingdom, choose the Contemporary - Tower Room, or Bay Lake Tower. We prefer the Bay Lake view; Theme park view is distant, and there's a lot of parking lot in that view...walking distance to MK (about 5-10 min, depending on how fast you walk). If the answer is EPCOT, choose the Polynesian - Garden View, and ask for a longhouse near the quiet pool. This affords a short walk to the TTC to hop on the Monorail there. Theme park views here are pricey, and you don't get a really great view. We like the Garden View - very peaceful...and after all, how much time do you plan on spending in the room anyway. The Polynesian also wins points if the 'kids' like to use the resort pool; it has more to offer. Hope this helps! :)

Upvote 0

ob1thx1138

Original Poster
I would say don't stay at any since they no longer operate during extra magic hours. It's simply not worth the money anymore when you can't even enjoy the convenience of the monorail to take you back late at night. What the he'll is TDO thinking?

You know I think this was meant half in joke, but the latest news does have me thinking about just choosing Wilderness lodge or even stepping down to a moderate. If I am just going to have to ride a bus back anyway, why pay the extra for a monorail resort??? Now I have to rethink this....

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom