Which Moderate for you and why?

luv

Original Poster
If you've stayed at all of them, multiple times, and have an extremely informed opinion, great. If you've only stayed at one, that's cool, too.

Even if you can't afford it or can afford better and haven't stayed at any of them...

Which one do you pick and why?

wdwmomof3

We have always loved Port Orleans Riverside, and I still really do, but last week we stayed at Coronado Springs for the first time and I fell in love with it. The rooms seemed a little bit bigger and I loved the decor. My husband loved having a desk in there instead if a table. We also loved the wooden privacy doors instead of a curtain separating the dressing room & bedroom. The food court was great too! It was also very quite and peaceful. My whole family loved it.

We gave stayed at CBR and I have no desire to go back.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I think CBR gets a bad rap. I'd easily stay there again. I liked the rooms, and found the bus service (while not as good as Pop/AoA), was fine. Certainly better than POFQ (which had TERRIBLE bus service!).

draybook

Port Orleans French Quarter. It's the only moderate that we've stayed at but we love it. The quaintness and size are a big factor, as you can do and see everything so easily. Plus my wife LOVES the Mardi Gras theme. I like the size and being able to boat to DtD.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
We love Port Orleans French Quarter as a couple - nice and romantic, relatively quiet, and beignets.

As a family, I would go with Caribbean Beach - lots to do, lots of space to do it in.

Please bear in mind that we have not stayed in a moderate in 5 years. Old Key West all the way.

JTT

Port Orleans French Quarter;
Small, easy to get to the counter service, pool, laundry, lobby, gift shop, Bus Stop, etc.
Great theme & very well maintained.
Transportation good. Centrally located, quick bus ride to any park. Boat to Downtown Disney.

JohnD

Stayed at POFQ late Sep-early Oct. Staying with family at CBR. I like the small layout of POFQ. Ask for building 4 if you want to be close to transportation. Haven't been to CBR yet but am planning using a resort map. We're staying in the Martinque section to be close to the restaurant and that particular bus depot, which means we're paying more for a preferred room. So, definitely plan ahead and have a resort map handy when it comes to CBR. Depending on which section, there could be more walking. It just comes to your preferences.

wdwmomof3

I think CBR gets a bad rap. I'd easily stay there again. I liked the rooms, and found the bus service (while not as good as Pop/AoA), was fine. Certainly better than POFQ (which had TERRIBLE bus service!).

Probably true. We stayed there several years ago when the kids were very small and we had a bad room location, which is part if the reason I feel the way I do. It was also before the rooms were redone.

I feel that Coronado springs gets a bad rap because it's a convention resort, which is why we were staying there because of my daughters cheer event. While I have seen pictures and it looked nice, I never would have considered it because we love riverside so much. Sometimes it's worth it to try something new. It really felt like a different vacation for the first time in a while.

Ariel484

I've stayed at Riverside, French Quarter and Coronado. I liked French Quarter and Coronado a lot (Riverside just didn't do it for me for whatever reason, maybe because when I stayed there the rooms had not been refurbed for quite awhile). Between Coronado and French Quarter I'd give the slight edge to French Quarter only because the resort is smaller and thus has one bus stop...where Coronado has 4. I really liked both resorts though. Not interested in CBR, the size freaks me out and I'm not a fan of the Nemo wallpaper boarder.

Mukta

The only moderate I have experience with is POFQ. I picked it because it was small. I didn't want to walk super far or have to take buses within my resort.

ImagineerDude

I've always wanted to stay at Coronado...but that was before I visited the Grand Floridian! But anyway, Coronado looks beautiful. I love the theming. My second choice would be PO Riverside...it looks beautiful in a different way than CS! I would choose Caribbean Beach over POFQ because the Mardi Gras theme kind of...scares me. CB has the blandest rooms IMO unless you pay extra for a pirate room..but both CB and CS pools interest me more than the other moderates...the lizard creeps me out as much as the Boardwalk's clown! And the cabins at Fort Wilderness...just aren't my thing..I live in the country anyway so when I vacation I don't want what I see everyday at home, though the Wilderness Lodge looks beautiful too...but it isn't a moderate. So anyway after all that rambling... 1) CS 2) POR 3) CB 4) POFQ 5) Cabins

Minthorne

None - I'd rather rent points for DVC or stay swan/dolphin then go Mod.

I just don't see the worth over what you get vs value when you compare the price. For the same or less money I think you can get better location (Swan/Dolphin) or room (DVC rental)

but I haven't stayed at a Mod since the late 90's...

plaz10

Port Orleans French Quarter

It's so intimate that everything is very close walking distance - we loved this aspect most of all. It was easy if we wanted to take breakfast back to the room - or run back our mugs after eating before the parks. The transportation was mostly good (it's not perfect anywhere) and again close to everything.

We enjoyed the food court and the ability to walk to Riverside if needed.

Husband has his sights set on a deluxe next trip but I feel we'll be back at POFQ.

Avenger117

I love Coronado. Its a beautiful resort, its a really big resort but its nice to walk to paths. Also the dining options are good. We're are trying out POFQ on the next trip though and it seems to be pretty nice as well.

Dog Ate Mouse

Well the DW and I have stayed at PORS, CB and the Coranado.

1) Coranado, We stayed their and only complaint was it was to big for us. We were placed the furthest away from the lobby and felt like a hike every time we wanted to go to the lobby. Second but minor issue was they had convention centers going on and felt like I was still at work instead of getting away from the office. Now on the plus side, the resort was clean and felt the resort had a really nice comforting decor. We loved the pool and that made our stay experience good.

2) Carribean Beach we stayed at and thought is was very colorful and enjoyable. We were close to the lobby and felt the food was good. The theme was very nice but not for us.

3) Port Orleans Riverside for us hands down. We love staying in the Mansions at Partierplace and love the fountains and river walk to the lobby. The quiet pools are wonderful after a long days in the park and is also a great get away from the main pool when you are looking for peace and quiet. Boat Wrights is wonderful and the food court very good. We love the lobby and giftshop and even a really nice arcade. You can rent boats, Bikes, go on a Bass fishing tripo or go cane pole fishing. We love hopping on the Sassagoula water Taxi to DTD. This resort fits our style and is laid back and beautiful. This is our favorite Moderate resort of all and have styaed here Numerous times.Nice Bar to sit at in the lobby and on nights here piano sing along music. We love the way the grounds look and are care for and just feel we are taken back into another place in time. This moderate is where the DW and I feel like we are on vacation just getting away from it all. The setting actually just makes you want to relax and stop and smell the roses and take in all the scenary. Now the last good part is that you can walk over to the french quarter and get breakfast over there as well. Plenty of busses running and lots of bus stops. Never had any issues with the busses running felt transportaion to and from the parks to this resort was very good. The last part of this review is for you Dog Lovers. Yoe see we drive to Fla from South Jersey all the time. We kennel our Dogs at Best Friends in NJ where we always feel safe that our Dogs are getting cared for and excercised. Well now the Best friends kennel is right around the corner and now we bring our Dogs there to stay. We can come and visit them and play with them. You really have to look at this Best friends Kennel, It it really awesome and know that our dogs are truly being cared and spoiled at the same time. We have chosen the VIP package for our Dogs and highly reccomend it.

Now please keep in mind if I had to stay at the first two resorts reviewed due to availability that we would without any issues. I feel all the resorts in the moderates are clean and ran well. It all comes down to what we like or in the case of others what you like. I would never let a resort stay ruin my vacation because the theming was not my first choice. Long as the resort staff does their job and the rooms are clean and the food is good is what really matters to us first.

Last edited:

Jimmy Thick

1) Coranado, We stayed their and only complaint was it was to big for us. We were placed the furthest away from the lobby and felt like a hike every time we wanted to go to the lobby. Second but minor issue was they had convention centers going on and felt like I was still at work instead of getting away from the office. Now on the plus side, the resort was clean and felt the resort had a really nice comforting decor. We loved the pool and that made our stay experience good.

That is very true. If you don't get or ask to be in the Cabanas, you're hiking.

Jimmy Thick- Sadly.

disneygirl1

I have stayed at all the moderate resorts and I have to say that Coronado Springs is my favorite. I love the atmosphere of the resort. Its like you are on a topical island right in the middle of Disney. MAy complain that it is such a huge resort, but plan accordingly and you'll be fine. We love being in the cabanas section. 8A if we can get it. Its close to the dig site pool which we love! The cabana bus stop is right there and its a short 5 minute stroll to the Peppermarket. Also like how centrally located the resort is. Never seemed like we were on the bus long. Speaking of buses, we always have great service to and from the parks. We have stayed at this resort 5 times in the past and would definitely stay here again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom