Which long lost characters would you like to see at WDW in 2023?

Which long lost characters would you like to see at the WDW resort in 2023?

• Total voters

brb1006

I'm surprised Disney didn't bring back Flower from Bambi considering Thumper returned to the parks around 2006/2007. It's been almost 50 years since he was last sighted.

Weather_Lady

Knowing WDW, we'll be lucky to continue to see who they currently have out.
They'll cut more in park characters if/when character dining needs the staffing.

Better chance for seeing any randoms/rares is at Disneyland.
Not just rares and randoms, but roaming characters! What richness that would be!

Roaming characters - unexpected bursts of fantasy into our reality - are where the magic is, and WDW has been poorer ever since it largely got rid of them.

Appropos of nothing, I first visited Disneyland in my late 30s (where characters still roamed free), not having seen roaming characters at a Disney park since I was a child at Walt Disney World. It was a bittersweet trip, as my mother had died not long before and I was feeling her absence deeply.

While walking from the Disneyland Hotel pool to the lobby on checkin day, I came around a corner of the landscaping and suddenly, unexpectedly, ran into Pluto, strolling around the corner all by himself. The moment he saw me, he stopped in his tracks and threw open his arms for a hug.

For reasons I cannot articulate, I not only ran into Pluto's arms like a child, but burst into tears. The poor CM probably thought I was nuts! I can't explain how beautiful that moment was, or the way that simple nostalgic gesture helped to heal my hurting grownup heart with the same joy that had delighted me when I was small, but the only word that comes close is magic. A kind of magic you could never reach by waiting in a line...

Last edited:

WorldExplorer

Can we count the ones that they've shoved on the boats/floats seemingly permanently? Because I want a lot of them back.

If not, my list of rares I'd like to meet (Darkwing, Oswald, Panchito, for starters) is long and I've yet to cross anything off of it. From your list, Dumbo. People I know think the (relatively new) costume is creepy, but I think it's adorable.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I saw a majority the characters mentioned here at DLR over the past year.

• Cheshire Cat
  • Merlin
  • Marie, Berlioz, and Toulouse
  • Bernard and Miss Bianca
  • Hercules and Megara

Robin Hood characters (Prince John & Sheriff of Nottingham)
Panchito, Jose

(videos of many of them on my channel - www.youtube.com/mousertainment and pics on my blog www.mousertainment.com )

We have been blessed with characters in Anaheim and I'm so grateful for it!

FettFan

Roger Rabbit would be neat...however he (alongside Jessica, Baby Herman, and Benny the Cab) are owned by Steven Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment. I wouldn't say "never", but I don't think that the Iger regime would consent to paying those licensing fees.

In fact, when Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway was announced for Disneyland, everyone at first assumed that they would be ripping out Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin for it, until Imagineering announced that MMRR was getting a brand new show building.

FettFan

Not listed here also, but Panchito, Jose, Marie, Darkwing Duck, Maid Marian...
Those would be significant.

Panchito and Jose pop up at Epcot from time to time.

f1c605613d9ed0595047d58475d06257.jpg

Walter Elias Disney

Original Poster
Roger Rabbit would be neat...however he (alongside Jessica, Baby Herman, and Benny the Cab) are owned by Steven Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment. I wouldn't say "never", but I don't think that the Iger regime would consent to paying those licensing fees.

In fact, when Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway was announced for Disneyland, everyone at first assumed that they would be ripping out Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin for it, until Imagineering announced that MMRR was getting a brand new show building.
Spielberg negotiated a contract that resulted in Amblin getting not only major creative control but also 50 percent rights to box-office receipts, licensing, merchandise, theme park attractions and just about everything else. A joint copyright would appear on everything-just as Pixar had a similar copyright arrangement.

Anything involving the original characters for the film including Roger Rabbit, Jessica, Baby Herman and more would require mutual approval from both Amblin and Disney.

brb1006

Roger alongside Eddie and Jessica Rabbit were present during Disneyland Paris' 25th Anniversary Celebration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom