Which Lodge (AKL or WL) do you like better and why?

redfive13

Planning a rather large group trip to WDW in 2010 andwe are interested in either the AKL or WL. Which one do you like and why? For instance, everyone will say the Savannah view is the reason for the AKL, but what would some other reasons be?

krankenstein

I've stayed at both and will always say AKL all the way!

Better theming an atmosphere (to me)

Better food

Lots of activities for the little ones

Nice pool (WL wins this one though)

The savanna is the icing on the cake

Upvote 0

SirGoofy

Better food

I'll pretty much agree with everything Krank said here.

I've only stayed at WL, but AKL is such a beautiful resort, the only thing WL really trumps it in is the pool.

Besides, a friend of mine works for one of the chefs from Sanaa...so I kinda have to go with AKL!:lol:

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Stayed at WL 3 times. Only visted AKL. AKL didn't really WOW me like WL. I would say, Transportation might be better at AKL since they don't share buses, and WL sometimes does. Location, WL wins hands down. Food is a tossup - AKL has Jiko and Boma. WL has Artist Point and Whispering Canyon.

Upvote 0

jonnyc

Better food

This is spot on really. As my signature would indicate, I prefer AKL (and will be returning there in 2010), although WL is a fantastic resort as well.

Upvote 0

MaxsDad

I own DVC at AK, and have stayed at WL twice.

Themeing at WL is spectacular. The two resort's archietect (sp?) are the same, so the beauty is comparable (in the lobby at least). The location at WL is the next best thing to a monorail resort. AK is out there.

AK does not share buses, as someone said. So commutting to places other than the MK is better at AK. TO be fair, commuting from AKL to AK is even quicker than the trip from WL to MK though (although not as fun as a boat ride, granted).

AK has the better QS (Mara) BY FAR. While Whispering Canyon Cafe has the better "experience" (esp. for first timers), I feel Boma has far better food. AK has two "nice" table service places on site (Jiko and Saana), while WL has one, I believe (Atrist's Pointe). GRanted, again, at WL you can get to all the monrail resort's nice places pretty easily and quickly.

As far as pools go, I would have given the nod to WL, until Kidani Village was added. The two pools at the AKL resorts, to me, beat out the WL. Kidani's pool includes a superior slide, and a wonderful kid's play area. The only question I have is: Would you have access to it if you stay in Jambo House, and are not a DVC member or staying in a DVC room?

I feel that in a group with kids, that AKL is the better choice. Reasons: Animal viewings, Activities, better pool (if available), better counter service.

For a group of young adults that want to be in the middle of the hub bub, resort (bar) hop, dine at many fine eateries, or if pools are insignificant (Jan. Feb. etc.), or people that like to go on runs or walks every morning or are prone to want to wander around the grounds outside: WL deserves consideration.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Ill just add that for food based on our stay this month:

Jikos slipped behind Artists Point, all round dining experience made AP our No1 of this trip with Jikos going from 1st to 3rd. Food was very nice but there was just that something missing.

Sanna was fantastic, food was great, although the curry wasnt quite as powerful as that served here, service excellent and drinks tasty, Whispering canyon, despite having the best server in years has definately suffered in terms of food quality, I wont be rushing back. The chicken in the skillet was so heavily seasoned we managed a bite each.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

I have!:fork::lol:

It's nice, but there is something about Poly that blows me away.
Me too :wave:

When considering which resort, one must consider the location. I personally have not stayed at WL or ALK but I have visited and eaten at both and both are beautiful.
If I had to chose, I'd chose WL because I love the location and it's also more my style.

Plus, I've always thought that it's ridiculous that AKL has no special transportation to AK considering it is the Animal Kingdom Lodge after all, but that's just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom