Which hotel with a one and a half year old?

Which hotel with a one and a half year old?

• Contemporary

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Pop Century

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

MegRuss626

Original Poster
Hi everyone! My husband decided that since our daughter lights up when Mickey comes up on the TV that we NEED to take her to Disney next December for a long weekend. (Can we say “daddy’s girl” already??) We’re having a debate on hotels so he said “take it to the forums and see what they say”.

The scenario: Our big plan has always been to take her in 2021 when she’s 4 for a week long trip splurging for a monorail resort since we’ll probably spend most of our time in the Magic Kingdom. And that’s still the plan. But, at 4 months old, she gets the biggest smile on her face when the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse comes on. So, he decided let’s go next December for a quick trip! So that’s the tentative plan.....Fly in Thursday, spend Friday and Saturday in the Magic Kingdom, and fly home on Sunday. The hotel is where the debate comes in....

His side: Stay at a Magic Kingdom resort. She won’t have to spend time on a bus and it’s close. He’s thinking Wilderness Lodge or Contemporary (outer building). (Or if there’s an infamous special deal at some point, Polynesian or Grand Floridian - HA!)

My side: Stay at Pop Century. We already plan on splurging in 4 years so why not spend a fraction of the price now. At one and a half, I feel she would “appreciate” the gigantic colorful scenery more than seeing the monorail go through the building.

So anyone with children, or just anyone in general, what are your thoughts? Thanks!!

correcaminos

I agree with his side. I've done toddlers at Disney and I prefer to be by Epcot or MK when in a stroller. I found it to be a real hassle taking it on the bus. Others feel differently. I also just don't like the value resorts. I'd rather do a moderate than a value or something like that. But really if you are doing MK only, then stay at MK. Much easier with naps and other types of schedules for little ones.

oliviosis

We went when our youngest was 20 months old and stayed at the Contemporary. Neither one of our kids could care less about a hotel as long as it has a pool. That being said, being able to walk to and from MK was priceless since our youngest needed a nap during the day. We'd do a mid-day nap/rest and then go to MK most evenings. It allowed us to maximize our time in the parks for sure as a long bus ride back to a park late in the day and back to the resort would've been cumbersome and may have deterred us from going for even an extra hour. Not having to worry about the crowded bus for those MK days/evenings was awesome.

LAinSFLA

We have taken our daughter since she was 5months old and in two weeks will be her first visit we have to pay for. When she was still in a pack and play, she would sleep through the night. If you are the type that would rather her sleep in the bed with you, then the value beds may be a bit small. I agree with others that a monorail resort is the easiest, but plan out your day and see if you will be going back. The weather should be nice, so naps could be done in the stroller. We have even walked to one of the hotels, sat and got a drink, just to be in the AC, rather than go all the way back to the hotel. Everyone does it a little different. I would vote on a moderate or above for the room size. It also seems that in December, their buses are a little less crowded also. Makes batting that stroller folded up a lot easier. Take full advantage of the baby stations also. They have microwaves and nice areas to let them play and stretch out a little.

disneyworlddad

We went for a full week when my son 22 months old. We stayed at POFQ and loved it. It was a very shot bus ride to the MK and the bus was never crowded. (This was summer and it had its own bus, I have heard in slower times it can share a bud with PORS.) The resort is small so no long walks while carrying the kid. Nice pool area and they also have a kid splash area. 9My son didn't like it as there is a bunch of water falling from overhead and he hates water in the eyes. You and your hubby might enjoy the resort for its romantic aspects as well.

jaklgreen

Stay where you can afford and feel comfortable in. At that age they have no opinion or even the brain capacity to know the difference. No 1 year old has ever said, "hey Dad, you should have ponied up for the Wilderness lodge because I like the ambiance better". We like the Contemporary for the convenience.

disney vibes only

I may be in the minority here but, we just took our two year old in September for his first time and honestly with our experience I wish we would have waited until he was older. He is OBSESSED with Mickey too but he was overwhelmed and not really impressed with anything. He had a better time running around the hotel than anything. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge in the villas and really liked them but he didn't care where we were! I totally agree with @jaklgreen! Have fun and hope you guys have a blast!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I agree with others about the Contemporary. 10 minute walk to MK. And if the weather is bad or really cold, there's the monorail option. She's not going to care about decor - but convenience will be important to YOU.

Wilderness does have the boats to MK. But they operate both sizes, and the smaller one requires you to fold up the stroller.

newhorizons1

Just got back from a week with our 14 month old son. We stayed at AKL for two nights and Caribbean Beach the rest. We had a great time, and he loved the parks and meeting the characters. Honestly, he could not have cared less about the resort. My husband took him to the pool area twice at Caribbean Beach, which had a kid's splash area that was nice for him. My biggest complaint about staying at AKL, which is something to consider for Wilderness Lodge because the rooms are a similar layout, is that the vanity area was not closed off to the rest of the room. Our son slept in a pack n play against the wall, and I wanted him to sleep for as long as he could while we got ready in the morning. That's difficult when there isn't anything to filter the light or the noise from the vanity area. It was much easier to get ready in the morning at Caribbean Beach because of the heavy, solid doors that separate the bathroom area from the rest of the room.

DisAl

We took our 16 month old grandson. He could not have cared less about the motel (POR). But he did have a ball at the parks.
So, for convenience, MK motels on the monorail loop. For price, Pop Century. It depends on where the scales tip for you between price an convenience.

jimbojones

If you can afford it do the contemporary no question at all. Being walking distance from MK with a little one is priceless and can literally be the difference between being relaxed and miserable. Consider waiting 20 minutes for a 20 minute bus ride with a diaper disaster vs a 10 minute walk back to your hotel room. The price difference for those two options is rather extreme though. Contemporary will be between 3 and 6 times (or more) than the per night cost of pop century.

MegRuss626

Original Poster
Monorail resort so you don't have to fold the stroller up, plus much more convenient if you need a nap. (She won't need the nap; you will)

Incidentally, we're a big believer in going while the kids are young enough that they are free.

I agree about going when they’re free! My husband “pre-getting pregnant” was all “we’re not going until our kid is at least 8 and they’ll remember it”. Then while pregnant, “well, maybe we’ll go when she’s 4 for the 50th anniversary”. And now that his little princess loves watching Mickey, a trip when she’s under two it is!

MegRuss626

Original Poster
We went for a full week when my son 22 months old. We stayed at POFQ and loved it. It was a very shot bus ride to the MK and the bus was never crowded. (This was summer and it had its own bus, I have heard in slower times it can share a bud with PORS.) The resort is small so no long walks while carrying the kid. Nice pool area and they also have a kid splash area. 9My son didn't like it as there is a bunch of water falling from overhead and he hates water in the eyes. You and your hubby might enjoy the resort for its romantic aspects as well.

I actually priced out for POR on my list and it is a nice in between but it’s just getting him to budge on the monorail resort! haha

MegRuss626

Original Poster
Stay where you can afford and feel comfortable in. At that age they have no opinion or even the brain capacity to know the difference. No 1 year old has ever said, "hey Dad, you should have ponied up for the Wilderness lodge because I like the ambiance better". We like the Contemporary for the convenience.

Your post made me laugh! I might have to teach Ryleigh to say that to my husband when we go in 4 years! haha

MegRuss626

Original Poster
We took our 16 month old grandson. He could not have cared less about the motel (POR). But he did have a ball at the parks.
So, for convenience, MK motels on the monorail loop. For price, Pop Century. It depends on where the scales tip for you between price an convenience.

That’s what is leading to the dilemma. It’s not “can we afford” but more “what do we want to spend on a quick trip”. And it’s more just me having the dilemma....he’d have the trip booked last night if I would have let him!

MegRuss626

Original Poster
If you can afford it do the contemporary no question at all. Being walking distance from MK with a little one is priceless and can literally be the difference between being relaxed and miserable. Consider waiting 20 minutes for a 20 minute bus ride with a diaper disaster vs a 10 minute walk back to your hotel room. The price difference for those two options is rather extreme though. Contemporary will be between 3 and 6 times (or more) than the per night cost of pop century.

Bad bus experiences at AKL in September 2016 is what has my husband feeling a little bus shy. The price difference isn’t EXTREME but just enough to make me question it. Pop Century will be around $1400 for a preferred room with the dining plan and the Contemporary will be around $2300 for a garden wing room with the dining plan. I just keep looking at it as we paid around $2900 for a 9 day trip at Pop Century over Thanksgiving 2015. My husband just keeps telling me I’m over-thinking it!

correcaminos

Bad bus experiences at AKL in September 2016 is what has my husband feeling a little bus shy. The price difference isn’t EXTREME but just enough to make me question it. Pop Century will be around $1400 for a preferred room with the dining plan and the Contemporary will be around $2300 for a garden wing room with the dining plan. I just keep looking at it as we paid around $2900 for a 9 day trip at Pop Century over Thanksgiving 2015. My husband just keeps telling me I’m over-thinking it!
It's hard I know! They is a decent chunk of change. My dad and I often day though that you pay for things that make you happy when you can. I really avoided buses with strollers though. Even boats are better. Have you looked into WL? Usually cheaper than the Contemporary but better than buses to MK.

MegRuss626

Original Poster
It's hard I know! They is a decent chunk of change. My dad and I often day though that you pay for things that make you happy when you can. I really avoided buses with strollers though. Even boats are better. Have you looked into WL? Usually cheaper than the Contemporary but better than buses to MK.

That’s more or less what my husband keeps saying as well. I’m just overthinking it I know. I have actually looked at WL...it’s on my “list” that I’ve made! lol It’s only a difference of around $200 so I figured just go with the Contemporary out of the two.

correcaminos

That’s more or less what my husband keeps saying as well. I’m just overthinking it I know. I have actually looked at WL...it’s on my “list” that I’ve made! lol It’s only a difference of around $200 so I figured just go with the Contemporary out of the two.

Well shoot, I was hoping that maybe it would be more between the two. Contemporary is a great resort. It really cannot be beat if you are going to do MK only

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom