Which Deluxe is your favorite and why?

slappy magoo

Even though you don't have kids, location can be an issue, depending on where you plan to spend much of your time, whether or not you're reliant on Disney's transportation, etc. Sometimes when you don't have kids, there are other reasons for wanting to get back to the room quick.

What? I'm talking about wanting to use your own bathroom. Geez, get your minds out of the gutters folks.

FWIW, first time my then-GF-now-wife & I went, we stayed at AKL and it was magical. Some of it was young(ish) love in bloom, but it really is an awesome place to stay.

Now, because you're young adults, I don't know how much dining is going to play a part in your trip, if you want to do a lot of romantic sit-down meals or you just want to run and gun through the parks and stuff your cakeholes at a counter service place whenever you're hungry. If you're thinking more sit-down meals...and especially if you don't have your own car...staying at a monorail resort (especially Contemporary) or an Epcot area resort is pretty strategic. I specify Contemporary because, not only do you have monorail access to Poly and Grand Floridian...as well as the connection to Epcot AND walking distance to MK if you make reservations in either of those parks...there is also boat access to Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. So the one resort gives you pretty easy travel access to 4 resorts and 2 parks. Likewise staying at any of the Epcot resorts puts you within walking/boating distance to the other 4 resorts in the area as well as 2 parks, Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Now our first trip together, we rented a car, so location wasn't as much of an issue. Your mileage - or lack thereof - may vary.

But to that end, Saratoga also has an edge because you're walking/boating distance to Disney Springs and all the restaurants contained therein, as well as whatever nightlife is still there - I know Pleasure Island is a memory, but downing a few at Raglan Road is a fun night out, and who knows, maybe you want to see a movie or bowl a few frames while on vacation. Also if either of you like shop-hopping, it's a great place to stay. And despite its size, Saratoga Springs does tend to be pretty quiet, including all the quiet pools throughout the resort. Turf Club is nice and usually dead. And if either of you like to golf, it's a great place to stay too.

And there are lots of other factors to consider in terms of what you'd like to do while at your resort, the sorts of amenities or recreational activities you might like to do or if you just plan on going to parks and want a nice place to stay once back "home."

So I think a lot of the choices bear on you asking yourself and each other what you'd like to do most when you're out and about? What's important to you to see and do? Then check out reviews on places like here and allears.net , look at maps to give you an idea of location/proximity, decide whether or not you're taking/renting a car, and the best choice will probably present itself.

Last edited:

crxbrett

I have only stayed at one resort at WDW - The Poly. So that's my favorite. I don't think WDW would feel the same without going there now lol So besides the fact that it is the only resort I have ever stayed at on my 9 visits to DW, here are the reasons why I love the Poly:

1 - Laid back, South-Seas/Polynesian/Hawaiian atmosphere. Just hearing the Hawaiian music calms and soothes me. This past year I was on a 3rd floor room overlooking the beach facing the GF and left the slider open all night as I slept. Listening to Hawaiian music while hearing the waves lap against the rocks was pure bliss.

2 - Trader Sam's! I love this place. Inside is fun as heck and the outside grotto with the rock waterfall is a blast, too. It's always fun to stop by after midnight to wrap up a day and chit-chat with the bartenders and sip on some drinks.

3 - Dining option. The Poly has some really good options for food. 'Ohana is super popular now, but the dinner is pretty wonderful. Try the bread pudding! Haven't had the breakfast , but heard it's just okay and more about the characters. Kona Cafe is excellent, for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Tonga Toast! And of course Dole Whips and all the great tropical drinks at the bars. Oasis Grill.

4 - Vast layout and sprawling grounds. Some mark this down as a con for staying here. But I actually prefer it. I love having to walk to get to my room and to get to and from the lobby. I like being outside for a bit and basking in the sun or feeling the rain. Plus, hearing all the sounds outside. The Poly has a ton of walkways and beaches and it connects all the way to the GF. So I always do a late-night walk each night to the GF that is both relaxing and also good exercise.

5 - Lush landscaping. To me, the Poly is by far the most well landscaped resort on property. I love tropical locations, so the plants and trees and flowers that surround you everywhere are pretty awesome. There is also lots of wildlife here.

6 - The Grand Ceremonial House. Now I will say they lessened it by removing the old rock waterfall atrium. But it is still one of my favorite places to be at WDW.

7 - Convenience. The Poly is excellent because it offers many ways to get around to other areas of the property. You can take a resort launch (boat) to the GF and the MK. You can take the Monorail to the GF, the MK and the Contemporary. And it is a short 5-minute walk to get to the TTC right next door. So a Monorail ride to EPCOT or a ferry ride to the MK is easy. So for me, that is a big plus.

8 - Friendly staff. Any DW resort has this. But I really do feel ohana at the Poly.

9 - Tiki torches. Love 'em.

10 - Seven Seas Lagoon. It's extremely peaceful to be able to walk on the beaches or around the resort and be able to see the GF, the MK and the Contemporary in the distance. Plus, you can rent Sea Raycers to go boating on the lagoon on! Plus there are private excursions available, fishing pontoons and even parasailing over at Bay Lake!

11 - Rooms are very spacious and quite nice. For the most part, the views are all good to excellent. Only a few areas have mediocre views.

12 - The pools. The main volcano pool is pretty fantastic. Big waterfalls, a fun slide and a bar right next to it. But the best part is if you go swimming at night dduring the fireworks at the MK. It is directly across the lagoon and offers a stellar view. Simply spectacular!! And the Electrical Water Pageant goes right by the pool and resort as well every night. The quiet pool on the other side is actually my fav in the afternoons. There's usually nobody at the Oasis grill, so you can drink and grab a bite and relax right by the pool.

I am finally trying a new resort on my next trip! AKL. Staying there for the first 6 nights. I am looking forward to experiencing a new resort at WDW. Of course I'm then switching to the Poly for my last 7 nights lol I felt like I was cheating on someone by not staying there and going to WDW.

-

Last edited:

BoarderPhreak

In no particular order (except for maybe Poly, which is #1 IMO):

- The Poly is ultra-themed, has monorail access and of course, DOLE WHIPS!
- The Contemporary is really plush, walk to MK and monorail access. Theming is a bit... Austere.
- Beach/Yacht Club is nice, super close to Epcot and Boardwalk for food/stuff. Theming is nice enough.
- AKL is definitely a really nice resort, but I found it a bit far away from all but AK.
- Swan/Dolphin I wouldn't overlook. Close to Epcot like B/YC, modern(ish) like Contemporary and (much) cheaper.

Last edited:

21stamps

Poly, followed by GF..
The only downside is the crowded lobbies, everything else is wonderful. GF gets bonus points for foosball, chess, table tennis, and lobster Benedict.
Poly gets bonus points for the volcano slide, Trader Sam’s, sushi options, and amazing view.
Poly is so classic Disney to me, so will always be my number 1 by default. :)

Starlight67

Wilderness Lodge. I love the atmosphere and the attention to detail-I could sit in the lobby or on the room balcony for hours. An added perk to Wilderness Lodge is that there is a boat to Contemporary. The resorts are fairly close together. Sometimes we would take the boat to Contemporary and then walk or take the monorail to Magic Kingdom from there.

Dutch Inn '76

1) The Contemporary (main tower), because it is incredibly awesome that the MONORAIL goes right through your building; right outside your door! ...and because you are walking distance to Main Street U.S.A. This is where we prefer to stay with our family.

2) Boardwalk, because I love the theming and the activities outside on the boardwalk, and because it's a very close walk to the restaurants in the World Showcase. This is where my wife and I like to stay when it's just the two of us.

We also enjoy the Polynesian, and Wilderness Lodge, but the above are our favorites.

The Yacht Club is our favorite resort, it's fantastic to have Epcot & Hollywood Studios within walking distance, the Boardwalk area is lovely & the hotel never seems busy.
Your in the Disney bubble but the hotel is also very quiet.

FNG

Just stayed at the Poly for the first time and location is great. Also theming, dinning and other amenities are fantastic. The pools and pool bars at the Poly are awesome. So relaxing and the service was great! The one thing about EPCOT access via TTC is that you have to process security twice, minor to me, but can be a big drag if entering during busy times. Recently stayed at Boardwalk also and loved it. Having stayed there and at Yacht Club, the access to both EPCOT and Hollywood Studios is great. Boardwalk was super laid back and the amenities are really good. We enjoyed the Bon Voyage breakfast, and thought the pool was great. We loved the pool at Yacht and Beach, it can get busy, but it's so big that it never felt crowded to us. Loved Animal kingdom lodge as well, just doesn't have the benefit of access to the parks that others do. Have only stayed one night at Wilderness Lodge, but loved the pool, the theming and absolutely love Whispering Canyon. Still haven't stayed at Contemporary or Grand Flo. Contemporary is on the list, but I must say I don't have any huge desire to stay at Grand Flo.

I give a slight edge to EPCOT area resorts due to access to parks and Boardwalk area. Stay at Yacht or Beach if you are pool people.
Close second is Poly, overall so relaxed and great services.
Wilderness
Animal Kingdom (I put this last, but if you were going to Disney World and not go to parks, this would be near or at the top of the list)

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I may. change my vote after I return, but so far my favorite deluxe is the contemporary. We're staying at the Poly soon, but I love the contemporary. The thought of walking to MK, and having the monorail run through the resort is just breath taking

Skibum1970

In no particular order (except for maybe Poly, which is #1 IMO):

- The Poly is ultra-themed, walk to MK, monorail access and of course, DOLE WHIPS!
- The Contemporary is really plush, walk to MK and monorail access. Theming is a bit... Austere.
- Beach/Yacht Club is nice, super close to Epcot and Boardwalk for food/stuff. Theming is nice enough.
- AKL is definitely a really nice resort, but I found it a bit far away from all but AK.
- Swan/Dolphin I wouldn't overlook. Close to Epcot like B/YC, modern(ish) like Contemporary and (much) cheaper.

I don't think that you can walk from Poly to MK. The monorail access is nice, though.

crawale

Planning a trip in August 2018, we want to stay at a deluxe and we are having a hard time deciding.

Any input is great, thanks!

I should add that we are a married couple mid 20s-no kids, so parks proximity is not a problem
Without kids I would say Animal Kingdom Lodge with a Savanna view. Animals are so fascinating it is hard to leave the room. We love Boma where there is always something different. Beach Club wins hands down if you are bringing children.

BoarderPhreak

Funny thing is that I posted my love for Contemporary and Wilderness. After I did it, I thought, "Huh, didn't I say this once?" Yes, I did. On the first page of this thread and almost word-for-word. So, I deleted my repeat post and decided to drink some soda to wake up further.
Hahaha! Yeah... Been there, done that. 😛

Mickey5150

Animal Kingdom Lodge is the most incredibly themed of all Disney resorts with the Poly being close behind. I love the Wilderness lodge but the shorts and flip flops really hurt the theme, lol. For the fun and excitement the Boardwalk is hard to beat, more so if you enjoy the walks or boats to Epcot and HS. Honestly you could pick a name out of a hat and be more than happy with any Disney deluxe resort. Basically it comes down to money. Monorail resorts are the most expensive, then the Epcot resorts and finally Animal Kingdom and Wilderness Lodge.

LUVofDIS

Our go to resorts are the Dolphin and the Swan. We have been there enough to where we always get an awesome view of EPCOT and the Boardwalk.

We have stayed at other Disney resorts and other than maybe the Contemporary, we still love the Dolphin and Swan more.

We hardly ever spend much time in our rooms or at the resort, so theming is not a main factor. Transportation is probably our most important factor, and the Dolphin and Swan deliver as do the other Deluxe resorts, the boats and walking vicinity to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios are the best. The buses to the remaining parks are a breath of fresh air compared to other Disney resorts (value and moderate).

No bed that we have ever experienced in Disney World match the sleeping enjoyment we get from the beds in the Dolphin and Swan. The rooms seem bigger and cleaner. It is also a nice break once in awhile from the Mickey immersion you have at most of the other Disney resorts.

The main difference is that the Dolphin and Swan are priced much better than all other deluxe and many moderate hotels. This allows us to stay longer and more comfortable at WDW.

If we were to stay in the resort and take advantage of the offered amenities, than it would probably be the Yacht Club Jambo Hause.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom