Trip Report Whew! What an adventure! Thank you Grandma for everything!

Okay. I've been back for a month, and I've been putting this off for long enough. Just for a refresher the players are myself and S (Steve) for an adults only splurge trip to the Polynesian.
Steve and his girls.jpg

The lovely lady in the middle is my Grandma, and she is the reason why we were able to take such a luxurious Disney adventure. S and Grandma actually shared a birthday, and this was her 92nd birthday bash...I won't reveal S's age, but I'll just revel in the fact that he is older than me. ;)

DAY 1 = May 5th (departure day)

We started our adventure on Cinco de Mayo flying out of Portland in the morning. We have TSA+ which makes going through security a breeze after we checked our luggage in. Upon walking to our gate we find that our flight has been delayed an hour. Not usually a big deal, but we had a connecting flight in LAX to take into consideration. When I booked the flight I made sure that we had at least 90 minutes as a layover for a buffer. So glad I did that!! That would only give us about 30 minutes (or less) to get off the plane, dash to our next gate, and hope our luggage is able to make the transfer as well. I got reassurance from the flight staff that there wouldn't be any problem with making our connection, so S and I took our usual lap around the whole airport terminal which is about 2 miles total while we wait. Did I mention S does not do so well when having to wait for anything?

Our flight leaves on time (for the delay time), and we made great time to LAX. There was another group of passengers that were needing to make a quick connection to Texas, so we were allowed to disembark the plane before the others to ensure we all got to our gates on time. We walked off of one plane, walked to the other side of the terminal, and walked straight onto our next flight. I again got reassurance that our bags would be on the plane with us. We were on the purple party plane to Orlando!!

Purple party plane.jpg

It's technically an Alaska flight, but they had just bought out Virgin Airlines and this was one of their planes. I really liked the seatback screens that you could order your food and drinks at any time. No drink cart to go up or down the aisle which was refreshing. I did a superhero double feature with Thor : Ragnarok and Justice League for the flight. We didn't land in Orlando until after 8:00, so we decided beforehand that we were picking up our luggage at the carousel instead of DME delivering our stuff after we were already in bed. We waited for a LONG time...the reassurance from the flight staff was false. No bags, but I did get notification that our room in Tuvalu was ready for us. After spending way too much time talking to the Alaska baggage people we found out that S's bag had actually never left Portland, and they had no idea where my bag was because the last scan was in Portland. Frustrated and tired we made our way to an empty DME area to board our bus. I didn't take any pics because it was rainy and my mood was a bit on the gloomy side which was not the way I wanted to start the trip, but it's an adventure, right? What is an adventure without a few hiccups and bumps along the way?

Poly lobby.jpg

Finally we were home sweet home, and we only wandered aimlessly to find Tuvalu (the building, not @Tuvalu Shirley herself) for a couple of minutes. We quietly crashed in bed, and were awakened around 4 am by Alaska Airlines stating we should have one of the bags by 2:00 pm. Still no clue where my bag is, but at least S will have his stuff, right?

Sorry so being so text heavy...I'm not the biggest picture taker, but I tried.:happy: Stay tuned for day 2!!

Nala06

Glad to have you along.

Which part of Portland are you from? Any big plans for your fall trip?

I lived in Hillsboro for 4 years while getting my optometry degree, the school was in Forest Grove.

For our trip we are doing 3 days downtown and 3 days in Cannon Beach (my favorite place on earth).

Was this your first time at the poly? Its my favorite resort, hands down.

Rista1313

I'm here! oh shoot on your bags... I worked for the airlines... you should never be promised bags will make it on a tight connection!

PacNWTigger

Original Poster
I lived in Hillsboro for 4 years while getting my optometry degree, the school was in Forest Grove.

For our trip we are doing 3 days downtown and 3 days in Cannon Beach (my favorite place on earth).

Was this your first time at the poly? Its my favorite resort, hands down.
Good old Pacific University, huh? ;) I went to college in McMinnville just down the road a piece...LOL! PM me and I'll give you some good eating spots if you're interested since I work downtown I know a few.

This was our first time at the Poly. S has never stayed at an actual Disney resort, so I think I have a convert on my hands even though we enjoyed the Swolphin the last time we stayed.

Last edited:

PacNWTigger

Original Poster
I'm here! oh shoot on your bags... I worked for the airlines... you should never be promised bags will make it on a tight connection!
Our bags would've been fine if the flight hadn't been delayed, but lessons were definitely learned on this trip. #1 ALWAYS bring your expensive mouthguard and contacts in your carry-on. #2 DME staff is quite wonderful when it comes down to it...I'll let you know why on Day 2. #3 If you do have a luggage mishap let the front desk know when staying on site. They were awesome and gave us $50 credit to get some essentials like deodorant, toothbrushes (they know the free ones they have aren't spectacular), Advil, and some kind of treat after the day one has when not having their luggage.

Nala06

Good old Pacific University, huh? ;) I went to college in McMinnville just down the road a piece...LOL! PM me and I'll give you some good eating spots if you're interested since I work downtown I know a few.

This was our first time at the Poly. S has never stayed at an actual Disney resort, so I think I have a convert on my hands even though we enjoyed the Swolphin the last time we stayed.

going for the Poly right away, smart move ;)

PacNWTigger

Original Poster
Well its about time you started this thing. I've been waiting!;) Sorry to hear about your bag troubles.
I know...I was slacking. :oops: We just got a new boss at work, and I tend to do my WDW forum stuff here. Had to play it safe while I figured him out. Things are a little more relaxed now, so I can slack off just a tad to do my trip report.
Bummer about your bags but looking forward to hearing all about the trip. Would love to stay at the Poly one day.
Thanks for following along. Poly was a bucket list thing for me, and I'm glad we were able to check that off my list. The bag thing does get better...I promise!
Looking fwd to hearing more
Thanks for reading! I will hopefully be able to post Day 2 today.

slipperalwaysfits

Following along! I'm a PACNW girl, too...stranded in Colorado! Man, I miss the water! I took my hubby to Cannon Beach this spring! Despite the rain and wind, he did love the beauty of the PACNW!

PacNWTigger

Original Poster
I'll give you guys some interim dog/cat pics to tide you over since @ajrwdwgirl brought up their cuteness. ;):inlove:

Belly Mo.jpg

At least Mo was kind enough to look at me when I called his name. :hilarious:

Jaeger up close.jpg

I might have mentioned the "W" word or maybe cookies to get this look from Jaeger.

Doggles.jpg

Kricket rocking her "doggles" for the camera.

I swear I will be writing about my trip again soon!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom