Where will WDW’s 50th rank on Disney Parks’ celebrations?

durangojim

Original Poster
So far, to me, this celebration seems a bit of a let down. Why? Because it seems to lack involvement by the guests as other Disney celebrations have. I can remember being a kid at DL for the 30th and every single person received a ticket with some kind of prize redemption whether it was popcorn, a plush Mickey (which I still have somewhere) or a larger prize. I remember WDW’s 15th where you could win a car. The 25th had the totally rad and cool castle cake (don’t you dare say it was anything besides awesome!) and then we had the year of a million dreams with loads of different prizes. The big draw for the 50th was all the new rides that would be opening but so far due in part to covid that’s a big fat raspberry and it make what should be the biggest and best Dosney celebration seem pretty underwhelming. What do you guys and gals think?

JIMINYCR

Personally I’m not as excited or feeling as celebratory as with other celebrations that came before. I think it’s from the still present affects of covid and how it’s changed the feel of Disney. Combined with the past changes that have made the parks feel less of a magical Disney place. I think it’s going to take some time to get back to feeling the joyful spirit Disney had to celebrate. Guest involvement seems missing and it’s like they are going through the motions and presenting the 50th with less enthusiasm. But we will see how it plays out as we get into the opening days and how things follow.

Splashin' Ryan

I agree with many that this celebration seems lackluster at best, and while many will blame it on covid, many of the plans for the celebration were cut far before the pandemic. I think the biggest issue is that the celebration seems to be celebrating Disney and Pixar characters more than the parks, resorts, or cast who have been around for the 50 years.
I guess we can always hope for a better celebration for another anniversary as for me Disneylands 60th was better than its 50th but I guess time will tell.

cheezbat

Right now absolutely lackluster. The 10th, 25th, many of Disneyland’s anniversaries all seem to be far more impressive than what’s happening here. Yes, there are new attractions coming online soon…but they should have been ready to go BY October 1st. The fact that NOT ONE decent refurb has been completed on any Fantasyland rides, the Speedway, Carousel of Progress, Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, or Space Mountain is an absolute joke. No parades, hardly any characters in the parks…on and on so much was hyped and expected and now it seems like nothing is happening. Disneyland got major refreshes and upgrades in the park prior to the 50th, and they continue to spruce up rides in the park…and here WDW sits with a completely unchanged Peter Pan ride and gas guzzling Speedway…and a Carousel of Progress that hasn’t progressed in nearly 30 years. Makes me sick. You can only use the pandemic excuse for so long. WDWs 50th should be so much more.

seascape

I don't expect a great celebration as a result of the pandemic. However, on the positive side my expectations for the company's 100th year celebration in 2023 are increasing and is actually more important.

Tink76

I was there for the 25th and wasn’t a fan of the birthday cake castle. It will be interesting to see just what is planned. They continue to be understaffed due to lay offs and furloughed cast members and from pictures I have seen with garbage cans overflowing this still holds true. WD would be saddened by its present state. I don’t think his dream of family entertainment was to include hotel after hotel with convention space. Or to sell off his land within his world. Sad to read and see the lack of commitment which makes the anticipation of a 50th celebration underwhelming.

Cmdr_Crimson

About this much energy...
giphy.gif

Graham9

A couple of weeks ago we were planning our trip to WDW for next year and looking at aligning it with the celebrations. That was until I saw a YouTube video with that nice Gary Daniels tried to tell me that taking a great deal of my money is a "good thing" for that "unique magical experience" - at which point, I cancelled all future WDW plans.

Given the responses I have seen, the celebrations may end up being renamed the "Disney Anniversary" - not to celebrate 50 years, but the fact there may only be 50 people in the parks.

WaltsTreasureChest

I see a lot of disinterested comments which I totally understand. But to ask, what would’ve people wanted for a 50th anniversary? I don’t have any ideas, just asking what people expected

vikescaper

I have low expectations for the 50th but I am hoping that I am wrong. Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t this WDW’s big celebration since 100 Years of Magic?

Muffinpants

All the stuff from Tokyo Disney sea 20th right now looks so amazing... And wdw isn't doing any of that. Unless they have a pack of hidden cards up there sleeve it's going to be disappointing.

Muffinpants

What is disney sea doing?
It's the "time to shine" event. The merch and events seem much nicer. Better planned meet and greets. Special tickets for guests. Idk maybe they released all the 50th stuff to early I am just not a huge fan of it. I hope they kept some back to be excited about day/week of. With it being a 18 month event.. I feel they just put on a new coat of paint new statues and called it a day.

Graham9

I see a lot of disinterested comments which I totally understand. But to ask, what would’ve people wanted for a 50th anniversary? I don’t have any ideas, just asking what people expected

Not really expecting a great deal, maybe a paint job here and there, some merchandise and a few flags. It wouldn't really bother me too much if they didn't have that. TBH.

That said, Disney seems to think it's an excuse to squeeze out every penny I earn to pay for stuff which has always been free and unique to WDW, in the self-deluded belief that I'm going to be happy about it and I'm going to have a magical time with my Genie app and all the wonderful things it's going to add to my Disney Experience.

Presumably that means watching all the celebrations on YouTube, because I cancelled my trip as WDW is no longer viable as a vacation and I'm not going to be ripped off with useless intrusive apps.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I look at parks plusing and how little is invested. I at the time loved the imagination of cake castle. 9E81AF72-A91D-4020-865A-79D3E04291CA.jpeg
9E81AF72-A91D-4020-865A-79D3E04291CA.jpeg

worst update IMO To this area.

DfromATX

I look at parks plusing and how little is invested. I at the time loved the imagination of cake castle. View attachment 589747View attachment 589747
worst update IMO To this area.
I know it's their jobs to do so, but sometimes it makes me laugh when the imagineers promote some of their projects with such enthusiasm such as this show. Do you know where it will be located? Might be a good time to catch a popular ride. We rode Expedition Everest over and over while the River of Lights show was going on. It was great!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom