Where were you 9 years ago

hcswingfield

We will never forget that awful day!

This thread chronicles the events that day as seen through the eyes of some of our members. It's a great read.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=1994

Reading these posts brought back so many memories. I had just turned on the TV to watch GMA when the second plane hit. I watched as the two towers collapsed. Spent most of the day trying to find out if my sister in law, a flight attendant, was in the air and if she was all right. Spent most of the next two weeks trying to track down friends in NYC to make sure they were OK.

DisneyPrincess5

I had just started 9th grade. We were in the hallway between classes and a boy who was known to cry wolf said that a plane flew into a tower in NYC and no one listened to him but we soon found out that he was right. My history teacher turned on the news and once he realized the gravity of the situation, he turned it off.

The Mom

Premium Member
I agree that there are some experiences in your life that leave an indelible memory. I was actually right here when I heard about it, and quite frankly, like most posters, when I saw the thread title I opened it assuming that it would be a complaint or vent about something. I wish that had been the case.

I immediately turned on the TV, but continued posting, as my children were in school, my husband at work, and my neighbors weren't up yet.

I'm also thankful that some of our greatest fears weren't realized, but few of us foresaw some of the more subtle, long term problems and changes this would cause.

I hope that this thread will not become political, and that we can all reflect and mourn in a nonpolitical, nonreligious, non ethnic way. Thank you.

imagineer boy

I remember I was driving to school (sixth grade) with my mom when we heard it on the radio. At school, we pretty much spent the whole day watching the news in all of the classes.

rsoxguy

I was running a quick errand at work when I heard on my car's radio that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. I assumed that it was a Cessna type of accident and returned to the office. A few minutes later someone called the office in a panic and I went home quickly to get a portable TV. While there, I saw the second plane hit the tower on TV. I went back to work and we watched everything unfold on the portable. Terrible.

diddy_mouse

My alarm went off that morning and I heard the DJ talking about a plane hitting the Trade Center. I listened for a minute or so then turned on my TV to the news. I got ready for class and the local station was talking about a possible fire at the Capitol Building or White House, you could see the black smoke which was actually coming from the Pentagon (though they weren't sure at the time.) I left and went to class but there was a strange air around campus. Once I got to the lecture hall everyone there was just feeding off quick reports they heard. Then the professor came in and said since she had gone through the Oklahoma City bombing we all could go and contact loved ones.

I still remember every detail of that week...nine years later...

I also remember the Concert For Heroes and crying so hard when Neil Young sang "Imagine." Even thinking back to that gets me choked up. Never had those lyrics meant so much...

Mammymouse

My husband and I were at our office and the phone rang. It was my brother and he said "Hey Deb they just flew a plane into the Trade Center building in New York." I said "What? Who flew a plane?" He said "I don't know know but I guess some terrorists", or something like that. I really had to stop and process in my mind what he was saying to me. Normally he is a jokester and at first I thought he was leading me into a silly joke. But he was dead serious. I said "You've got to be kidding me!" He said you had better turn on the news. My husband wanted to know what was going on and I told him so we both decided to go home and watch the tv to find out. We were glued to the tv for the remainder of the day in horror and disbelief, especially when the buildings fell. Being in RI we are a 50 minute drive to Boston where the planes took off from, and a 20 minute flight from New York City, so the threat was local to us.

lilclerk

I was bored in my Music History class. The rest of the day, all our classes were "cancelled" meaning we just watched the news in all of them.
I remember being really annoyed during Media Studies because our teacher kept muting the TV to talk about how the media was handling it. Alright so it was relevant to the class, but we wanted to hear what was happening.

I am so grateful that that original thread has been left up. Sometimes it's tough to remember how we all felt and that play-by-play of the day is good to read.

trr1

When I first heard of this someone came to me and said "did you hear that a plane hit the world trade center" and at first thought it was a joke and and said no whats the punchline. People were so upset that the employer
I had at the time let people go home . the tv just kept showing the towers falling i remeber just wating it over and over on different channels .when i got home i just kept holding my toddlers and 4 year old

SnowFire

Wow - it's hard to believe that 9 years have passed already.

I was in a quarterly management meeting in eastern PA when we heard the news. The next few minutes were filled with fear as we realized that we had several people in danger - our NYC office was in the first tower to be hit. A quick "inventory" of who was in our meeting and a few frantic phone calls revealed that, fortunately, our office was empty that morning.

ScorpionX

I was in a bar in the middle of the woods with Figment, Brer Rabbit, and Diddy Kong. We were playing our normal game of Beer Pong when our bumbling newsboy came in with the news of the attack.

Was asleep in my college dorm room. My girlfriend at the time called and told a me a plane had crashed into the WTC. I had assumed it was an accident and asked if it was a small plane. She said no a full airliner. I couldnt figure out how that could happen accidentially. Put on the news and saw the rest of the attacks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom