Where to stay on the drive down?

micknminnie

Original Poster
We are driving down from Philly and want to stop somewhere along the Virginia/North Carolina border? Does anyone know of any decent/safe hotels along I-95? Thanks.

jlevis

We are driving down from Philly and want to stop somewhere along the Virginia/North Carolina border? Does anyone know of any decent/safe hotels along I-95? Thanks.

We drive from the Detroit area and take I-75 (most of the time). I would have to guess that you'll have your choice of many decent hotel/motels. You might want to do a map quest search so you can plan out your stop. We typically stop around Macon, GA but it can be quite a drive between clusters of hotels in that area.

I-95 has some increably boring streches between GA and NC.

DisneyDebNJ

We used to drive down to Orlando from NJ every year, and never stayed at the same place twice. As a previous poster stated, GA has LONG gaps between exits, but coming from Philadelphia, you should be able to go farther than the VA/NC border. Just about every few exits there are signs on I 95 for rest areas/gas stations. What I used to do, is look for the signs that showed ALOT of hotels, restaurants and gas stations, (Hampton Inns, etc) and never had a problem. Due to it being such a long drive, with a small child (at that time) we drove as far as possible that first travel day, so the next day, put us a few hours outside of Orlando. The one place I would NEVER stay at is South of the Border though, nice to look at from I 95 but keep driving :dazzle: Another thought, is to install the Tripadvisor App on your phone, or one similar to it, and check reviews/area as you drive. Have a fabulous trip, I'm sure you'll find many suitable options on your drive down. :wave:

micknminnie

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. We are trying something different this year. We are leaving on a Friday night About 5. We wanted to stop at Daytona on Saturday. We don't check in at Disney until sunday.

yensid67

Thanks for the tips. We are trying something different this year. We are leaving on a Friday night About 5. We wanted to stop at Daytona on Saturday. We don't check in at Disney until sunday.

I travelled back and forth from Maryland to Orlando a few times...here is a suggestion...

If you are leaving at 5PM Friday if you are able to drive through(that should put you in Daytona around 2PMish Sat) until you get to Daytona and then spend the night there and then head to Orlando on Sunday. Its a 16-20 hour trip, depending on the stops you make. BUT as a rule of thumb for me, I would stop every 4-5 hours and get out to stretch, fill the gas tank, grab a quick bite and go to the bathroom, then hit the road in about 30-45 minutes. This really keeps you from getting tired during the night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom