Where should the next princess come from???

ariel90

I am also for South America they can have a princess there and then open up the new land at Epcot the same time the movie comes oh

Yzma

I think it'd be cool if Disney classed it up a bit and turned to opera for some of their stories.
Aida - story of a Nubian princess who is captured by the ancient Egyptian army, and falls in love with an Egyptian while imprisoned

Especially because they've already created the Aida musical, so they could incorporate the music they've already written!

Musicals get turned into Movies more and more these days... why not animate it?!

Weather_Lady

I love the idea of incorporating a story from a classic opera -- they've already stood the test of time, lend themselves to a musical treatment and have a heavy dose of spectacle and glamor.

At the same time, I hope Disney doesn't rush to come up with a new princess too soon. I feel like there's a level of "princess fatigue" that is beginning to set in, at least I know there is with me, and I find myself wishing for more down-to-earth and well-developed female characters -- Margaret Thatcher the Musical, anyone? ;) Besides, they're running out of colors for Disney princess signature gowns, with pink, blue, purple, green, chartreuse, yellow, red, orange and deerskin already taken! :D

HihisIsKari..

I vote Portuguese. Whether it be from Brazil, Azores, or Portugal. It may not be something that many people know a whole lot about and I think it could make for a very interesting look into Portuguese culture no matter what area it takes place in.

ddbowdoin

I can scroll through this thread, as well as others... along with other Disney boards, where people were "proud" that Tiana was finally made a princess, representing black americans and how more minorities should be represented...

this isn't trivial, to not notice these calls you'd have to be slightly blind

Weather_Lady

how about who cares... all of this PC crap about representing "all groups" drives me up a wall!

I understand where you're coming from - I'm as annoyed by political correctness as you are. That being said, I think it does mean something to little girls watching these films to see "a princess that looks like me." While I think the reason Disney is "diversifying its princess portfolio" has more to do with dollars than the hopes and dreams of those little girls, the fact that they feel represented is a positive, if somewhat collateral, result.

ddbowdoin

I understand where you're coming from - I'm as annoyed by political correctness as you are. That being said, I think it does mean something to little girls watching these films to see "a princess that looks like me." While I think the reason Disney is "diversifying its princess portfolio" has more to do with dollars than the hopes and dreams of those little girls, the fact that they feel represented is a positive, if somewhat collateral, result.

AH, I'm sorry but I work in finance and thanks to some of the information we're privy to (bloomberg and other systems / sources of information) I have a hard time seeing the expansion being driven by dollar signs. Did they make money? yes... but based on pure demographics and economic data you cannot deny which group in the US possess and maintains dominance in personal wealth figures. Ie, it isn't Tiana and Pocahontas.

ExtinctJenn

I definitely agree with this. Kids love to see themselves represented somehow. I think back to when I was young and how I would sit practically on top of my television just waiting for the romper room lady to say my name when she was holding up the mirror. Kids thrive on that kind of recognition. Sure dollars are what Disney is ultimately after but they make those dollars by finding each possible gap and filling it. No hispanic princess yet? Well you can believe if they created one, every little girl of hispanic descent out there (and/or her parents) would be a candidate for purchasing not only tickets to the film but the associated merchandise. That's what Tiana was for the African American community as well and let's be honest, probably Merida for the little red headed girls out there. :D

materbuddy

I think that a Hispanic Princess would be pretty cool. I even have a storyline. A young girl was adopted at birth and while she is getting ready to celebrate her Quinceañera she finds out she is a princess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom