Where is Walt's plane? UPDATE - Coming to D23 2022

Cmdr_Crimson

It looks like Walt's Plane has been completely covered from the elements. Just thought I would share the update.
View attachment 483950
I think we all know who helped on this..
images

Goofyernmost

Not my point but OK
I wasn't debating or attempting to modify your intent. I was just adding to the thought, but if that isn't the reason for your "no gate" statement, perhaps you could expand on your thought. To me it needs no gate because there really is nothing there to see and without sophisticated tools nothing that can be stolen. It is obvious that Disney has no future plan for it and the cost of scraping it far outweighs what it costs to just park it in that field and let nature take it's course. They have minimum expense (the land was paid for ages ago) it's not in the way and they can avoid the outpouring of upset that would happen if they were to scrap it. In a few more years when all of the people that are familiar with it's history are long gone, it then can be made to disappear with no problems at all. It would be gone by now if they hadn't displayed it at DHS and made a big deal about it. Walt had more then that plane. Does anyone question where those have magically disappeared too?

Movielover

It is obvious that Disney has no future plan for it and the cost of scraping it far outweighs what it costs to just park it in that field and let nature take it's course.
I would think if that was the case they would not bother to wrap it up (wingtip exposed for some reason). We've seen how they treat large vehicles like this when they don't need them anymore (Subs, Backlot Trams, etc) and the plane definitely feels more preserved than those others. You may be right but I hope there is still a future in the parks or Disney Springs for this piece of history. If anything they could sell/donate it to the Henry Ford Museum up in Detroit. There it would be given a good home!

museum.gif

Goofyernmost

I would think if that was the case they would not bother to wrap it up (wingtip exposed for some reason). We've seen how they treat large vehicles like this when they don't need them anymore (Subs, Backlot Trams, etc) and the plane definitely feels more preserved than those others. You may be right but I hope there is still a future in the parks or Disney Springs for this piece of history. If anything they could sell/donate it to the Henry Ford Museum up in Detroit. There it would be given a good home!

museum.gif
Good idea. Why they seem to being preserve it, might just be because many eyes are on it and mummifying it would bring the same response as if they loaded it into a dumpster. I'm not sure why they are keeping it. Perhaps museums really aren't interested because historically speaking it was used to scout out a theme park location (not really earth shaking) and fly to and from the 64 Worlds Fair location. (There are hundreds, if not thousands of planes that have done that.) And a lot of those times Walt wasn't even in the plane. It's not like it helped end WWII. So frankly, I don't know why, I'm just speculating. If they really valued it they would have built some simple shelter to keep it out of the elements. So to me it is more that it is cheaper to let it sit and rot away then to worry about it.

JoeCamel

I wasn't debating or attempting to modify your intent. I was just adding to the thought, but if that isn't the reason for your "no gate" statement, perhaps you could expand on your thought. To me it needs no gate because there really is nothing there to see and without sophisticated tools nothing that can be stolen. It is obvious that Disney has no future plan for it and the cost of scraping it far outweighs what it costs to just park it in that field and let nature take it's course. They have minimum expense (the land was paid for ages ago) it's not in the way and they can avoid the outpouring of upset that would happen if they were to scrap it. In a few more years when all of the people that are familiar with it's history are long gone, it then can be made to disappear with no problems at all. It would be gone by now if they hadn't displayed it at DHS and made a big deal about it. Walt had more then that plane. Does anyone question where those have magically disappeared too?
No gate means they expect no traffic in or out

GimpYancIent

Although the interior is mostly beyond repair, there is a push to save the fuselage.
I believe the Walt Disney airplane is a piece of history worth preserving and if the Disney Co were to donate it to the Smithsonian Air and Space museum it would be given a proper place to be seen by the public. The Smithsonian Air and Space museum has restored aircraft that were far more deteriorated than Walt's plane. If you have visited the Smithsonian Air and Space exhibit adjacent to Dulles airport in Northern Virginia you will understand.
One more artifact saved for posterity and one less item cluttering Disney property, neglected.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom