Where is Walt's plane? UPDATE - Coming to D23 2022

montyz81

Original Poster
Good thing they kept the air worthiness cars in tact for this flight. Sounds like it might have one more flight to go

Movielover

Can’t they gas it up and fly to whatever location?

b277d5e4b3997f1861cc64b53f1906564c8303d9d8e37d821db02098b3551f8f.jpg

To clarify the plane can not fly by itself. Most if not all of the internal gear was striped before it was put on display. Plus even if it could fly on it's own it would need runway space to take off and land.

nitstalker

I can! It's night time, it's dark out, it's very late, half way between sunset and sunrise, people are mostly sleeping. There are helicopters flying around the area all the time, not an unusual sound. You would have to have one powerful flash to take a picture during that time and it is very likely that it happened without anyone being aware of what was going on. It doesn't seem like we have to call in Hercule Poirot to solve this one.

Plus, aren't there already black helicopters flying around Disney already? ;)

SteveReisteter

I just saw an airial of the demolition of the studios over on WDWnews. Does anyone know what happened to Walt's plane?
In 1987 my wife and I won a trip to WDW through "Disney's Magic Music Days." They flew us from Newark Airport to MCO on the Mickey Mouse One, Walt's plane! Everyone on that trip received a certificate (see photo) saying that the individual flew on the plane. It was signed by the pilot, Manny Puerta (his signature is fading). Mine is framed and hanging on the wall next to my computer. My wife has hers in her study. Every time we passed the plane at the Studios it brought back great memories.
MM1.jpg

Goingdown13

In 1987 my wife and I won a trip to WDW through "Disney's Magic Music Days." They flew us from Newark Airport to MCO on the Mickey Mouse One, Walt's plane! Everyone on that trip received a certificate (see photo) saying that the individual flew on the plane. It was signed by the pilot, Manny Puerta (his signature is fading). Mine is framed and hanging on the wall next to my computer. My wife has hers in her study. Every time we passed the plane at the Studios it brought back great memories.View attachment 265674
Now this is one of the coolest things I've seen since I joined. I had no idea they did this!

splashtest

In 1987 my wife and I won a trip to WDW through "Disney's Magic Music Days." They flew us from Newark Airport to MCO on the Mickey Mouse One, Walt's plane! Everyone on that trip received a certificate (see photo) saying that the individual flew on the plane. It was signed by the pilot, Manny Puerta (his signature is fading). Mine is framed and hanging on the wall next to my computer. My wife has hers in her study. Every time we passed the plane at the Studios it brought back great memories.View attachment 265674
What an awesome flipping experience. So exciting. I am beyond envious of you on this. I know we have seen pictures of the inside, but do you have any more to share?

montyz81

Original Poster
Back when the family still had influence over the company, things like this seemed to always happen. Now, we'd all be lucky to get a smile from a cast member for free!

jhastings74

This is ridiculously cool. Thanks so much for sharing this!

NormC

Seems like I remember pictures of that when it arrived at WDW. After it landed on World Drive, it was taxied, I believe, to the old STOLport, where it was "de-winged and trucked inside. Stripped of all it's useful equipment and placed and rebuilt on the DHS site in the old back-lot area. Keep in mind this is a memory, but, I don't remember where I read it or when, however, if true it might be the photos that are being referred too. I am almost positive that nothing new came out after it was taken out, surely we would all have remembered that.
I doubt it was dewinged just to move it inside DHS as it landed right near the Earfel tower on World Drive in 1982 and it would have been easier to just tow it to its location on the backlot. Can anyone verify this?

Goofyernmost

I doubt it was dewinged just to move it inside DHS as it landed right near the Earfel tower on World Drive in 1982 and it would have been easier to just tow it to its location on the backlot. Can anyone verify this?
I wonder what turnstile they used that was wide enough to yank an airplane through? I would think that they would have taken the wings off to make it easier to access the engines which were perfectly good and likely sold to someone. But, you are right, they quite probably put it in place in DHS the same way they took it out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom