Where is Walt's plane? UPDATE - Coming to D23 2022

FoozieBear

I think that article is rather out of date. Proof reading by the owner would be a start.

I guess so. The first thing I did was check the date, which was posted today, January 2nd, 2018. Had to do a bit of a double take, didn't seem to make much sense it would still be there.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The plane isn't in the Edison complex. The mystery continues.

Really isn't a mystery anymore, I see no reason not to believe this is true....

I found where Walt's plane wound up!

It is in storage in a field behind the Reedy Creek Operations Center off of Bear Island Road, near (actually also behind) the waste water treatment plant. Seems to be in rough shape, lots of weathering on the finish, dirty, streaks of black grunge and what have you. So disappointing to see it languishing in such a dismal place. Brings to mind scenes from Susie the Little Blue Coupe.....

I saw the plane when I visited the locations as part of an event at the operations center on 12/17/17

:-(

FoozieBear

Looks like someone finally got a photo of Walts plane backstage. Its inclear if this isin the RCID as previously mentioned, but I guess there is reason to believe that it is. More info at this link.

Attachments

• IMG_20180122_095738.jpg
    IMG_20180122_095738.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 250

trainplane3

Looks like someone finally got a photo of Walts plane backstage. Its inclear if this isin the RCID as previously mentioned, but I guess there is reason to believe that it is. More info at this link.
Hmm, so it's in a brown, open field with power lines running across it. The flight instructor guy said it is in WDW still. Off to Google Maps! (not trying to find the plane, trying to find the field where it sits)

Edit: Found the location already. Getting pictures together.

trainplane3

So here's this picture from the article:
disney-plane-andrew-barton-good-2.jpg

Now on Google Maps, I found this:
plane3.PNG

Look at the trees, powerlines running across it, and the gravel "road".
Now in 2D view with the latest images:
plane1.PNG

Turns more brown, gravel "road" is still there.
And lastly, the exact location:
kKPHwOE.jpg

Maybe someone else can confirm this?

Also, I suppose this would be considered "backstage". So please don't be an idiot and go running around back there. We know the plane is there, it's "safe", it could return eventually. That's all.

Last edited:

Jedi Stitch

Well with a company infamous in repurposing property, I just hope it doesn't end up torn up for some ride feature. I believe I herd that the plane is with the people that take care of Disney history, the Archives. I am actually a little surprised after all these years, Disney doesn't just build a full on museum on the Florida property to look at everything that has been archived by now.

FoozieBear

Hmm, so it's in a brown, open field with power lines running across it. The flight instructor guy said it is in WDW still. Off to Google Maps! (not trying to find the plane, trying to find the field where it sits)

Edit: Found the location already. Getting pictures together.

Guess this confirms an earlier post in this thread from a CM who said they saw it at the RCID. Glad we finally have an answer, and I do hope this turns up in its former glory again sometime soon.

FerretAfros

Also, I suppose this would be considered "backstage". So please don't be an idiot and go running around back there. We know the plane is there, it's "safe", it could return eventually. That's all.
Or if you do want to be an idiot and run around back there, make sure you pay the Marathon registration fee first! It's around mile 10, so you should still be feeling pretty fresh at that point
30_Full Treatment Plant.JPG

And no, as of 2 weeks ago when this photo was taken, nothing was visible from Bear Island Road (not that I was particularly looking for the plane, but the treatment plant and topography would block that view entirely)

trainplane3

Mapquest has updated pictures:
109507@2x.png
Well then, I shouldn't doubt Mapquest as much as I usually do. Glad to know this 100% confirms I was in the right spot.

So, Walt's plane is sitting out in the open backstage, exposed to the elements. :arghh::banghead:
Really no different then when it was at DHS. Like others have mentioned, its interior has to be shot by now unless they gutted it which would've been a good move in a place like Florida. Unlike parade floats, planes can take a beating when left outside. Go look up Russian aircraft graveyards to get a look at what planes can look like after being left to sit for 20 years through the elements (some are scrapped, some are still in one piece with a bunch of rust). Since it'll never fly again (why would WDW want it to fly? Honestly), it'll just need a little TLC and some paint to be good to go again.

I hate seeing it left out where no one can see it. But, it's not the end of the world. If they want to display it again, it shouldn't take much.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Well then, I shouldn't doubt Mapquest as much as I usually do. Glad to know this 100% confirms I was in the right spot.

Really no different then when it was at DHS. Like others have mentioned, its interior has to be shot by now unless they gutted it which would've been a good move in a place like Florida. Unlike parade floats, planes can take a beating when left outside. Go look up Russian aircraft graveyards to get a look at what planes can look like after being left to sit for 20 years through the elements (some are scrapped, some are still in one piece with a bunch of rust). Since it'll never fly again (why would WDW want it to fly? Honestly), it'll just need a little TLC and some paint to be good to go again.

I hate seeing it left out where no one can see it. But, it's not the end of the world. If they want to display it again, it shouldn't take much.

True, it's still outside like it was. Just wish it was inside. At least when it was on display, it had to be at least externally maintained.

trainplane3

True, it's still outside like it was. Just wish it was inside. At least when it was on display, it had to be at least externally maintained.
Oh I do too. Where could they put it where it's covered though? It's not huge but it would still require a decently sized cover/gazebo. Maybe stick it somewhere in Disney Springs? But then again, there isn't a very wide open spot for it. I was thinking the Grand Floridian could work if it had to be outside. But again, where could it sit so it isn't in the way/nuking the theme but still noticeable? At least at the GF, I'd expect it to be maintained.

It would be neat to have a museum in WDW. Stick the stuff that the Archives has duplicates of or not enough room for there. But again, where could that go? The MK doesn't need it, DHS could work but it's getting tons of love currently, AK...no, Epcot could work. You have the (sadly) underused CC buildings. The plane could easily fit in there. But thematically, how could they spin it to make it work with the FW theme?

Rteetz

Or if you do want to be an idiot and run around back there, make sure you pay the Marathon registration fee first! It's around mile 10, so you should still be feeling pretty fresh at that point
View attachment 258505

And no, as of 2 weeks ago when this photo was taken, nothing was visible from Bear Island Road (not that I was particularly looking for the plane, but the treatment plant and topography would block that view entirely)
Just before the terrible out and back and a ride on Everest ;)

Goofyernmost

So, Walt's plane is sitting out in the open backstage, exposed to the elements. :arghh::banghead:

After I posted this I noticed that it had been address already, but, just to reemphasize... it has been sitting out in the open all the years that it was on display in DHS. The difference is that no one dusts it off anymore. I was encouraged by the fact that it is in a clear opening where there is less likelihood that falling trees or debris from trees will harm it. I guess we will just have to wait and see if they do anything useful with it. If they don't make it part of "One Man's Dream" I agree with the person that thought having it displayed in Disney Springs would be a good option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom