Where is Walt's plane? UPDATE - Coming to D23 2022

roj2323

I can't imagine they would just get rid of it. I can't really see it fitting in EPCOT but would love to see it back at Hollywood Studios in some way.
The fuselage was repainted into it's original colors prior to it being disassembled and trucked away. If I had to guess it is currently undergoing a full restoration possibly by the manufacturer Gulfstream. If anyone happens to live in Savannah Georgia and knows people who work at Gulfstream I'd be asking them. That's the most likely place the airplane would be. It's right off I-95 and only 4.5 hours north of Disney after all.

500 Gulfstream Rd, Savannah, GA 31408

Goofyernmost

The fuselage was repainted into it's original colors prior to it being disassembled and trucked away. If I had to guess it is currently undergoing a full restoration possibly by the manufacturer Gulfstream. If anyone happens to live in Savannah Georgia and knows people who work at Gulfstream I'd be asking them. That's the most likely place the airplane would be. It's right off I-95 and only 4.5 hours north of Disney after all.

I guess that is possible, but, if they were going to send it off for a full restoration, why would they have painted it. The interior was stripped out, according to insiders, and from what I heard even the engines were removed and the props supported by a fake engine substitute. I said before that if they wanted to find an open spot in DHS they could enlarge the OMD attraction and include an additional room that houses the plane... put the interior back the way it was in Walt's time and do some modifications so people can generally walk across it and see the interior like they do at air shows or the shuttle at Kennedy Space Center. That would bring a lot of Walt Disney fans in and keep them out of the parks for a while at a relatively low cost to the company.

dgp602

AND THIS is why I love this site! The posters on this place are full of incredible knowledge. Kudos to you sir..!

kthomas105

I live in the Bluffton/Hilton Head,SC area, Just 25 min north of Savannah, I have spoken with quite a few individuals who work at Gulfstream and no one seems to know anything about the plane. I'll keep asking.

Calmg0d

I heard a rumor it ended up here... o_O

View attachment 148311

OK, so I made up that rumor. ;)
But, I too am curious what they have in store for it.
Someone in the Earffel Tower thread mentioned quite a while back that after they removed it from BLT they had changed it's paint scheme back to it's original white with orange and black trim...

View attachment 148314
Awesome picture of the boneyard however I get very sad when I see that almost all of the planes I flew on for 10 years are now being chopped for scrap.

Movielover

Awesome picture of the boneyard however I get very sad when I see that almost all of the planes I flew on for 10 years are now being chopped for scrap.

I get you there but technology changes and requires constant innovation. It's just a fact of life. cars, phones, planes, even theme park rides all have to be replaced at some time or another. Nothing last forever...

Wow, sorry for the morbid post :( I feel like a having a drink now...

Movielover

You're right, I should go to the place where everybody knows my name!

cheers1.jpg

roj2323

It's definitely not airworthy now, but is definitely a piece of Disney history that, justifiably, needs to be preserved.
And yes, somewhere else on WDW property seems appropriate to me, too...! :)

You'd be surprised by the airworthiness of a mothballed airplane. If they can pull airplanes out of a glacier and make them airworthy, Walt's plane will be a breeze.

Goofyernmost

You'd be surprised by the airworthiness of a mothballed airplane. If they can pull airplanes out of a glacier and make them airworthy, Walt's plane will be a breeze.
Anything is fixable, but, it would cost more to make that plane air worthy then it would to buy a new one. I have a number of thoughts about how to incorporate the plane in OMD and make that one of the most popular attractions in the park, but, I would guess it is the fear that they would have to share their bonus with me, if they used it, so it may have been lost forever. Besides, it would be just wishful thinking that any parts that were reusable that didn't hold the plane physically together (shell) has long been removed and sold off. It could make a wonderful display, but, the more years that go by, the fewer people that have any detailed knowledge of Walt Disney. Walt who, would be the response with the next generation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom