Where is Walt's plane? UPDATE - Coming to D23 2022

montyz81

Original Poster
Make an announcement? Why should they start now when they can get all kinds of chatter by not saying anything and letting the rumors run wild? By the time the gloom folks get done, whatever they come up with always seems to be much better then expected.
That's true. I guess I just expected that the same fanfare that happened when it arrived would've happened when they placed it somewhere else, assuming that the somewhere else is a public viewing spot.

bunnyman

Being prepared for moving:

pd_g222_afghanistan_scrapped_kb_141009_12x5_1600.jpg

po1998

Goingdown13

I wonder why they would have gutted the interior. It's small enough where you think the interior could have been maintained so that in a future scenario it could have been displayed somewhere with public access to the inside.

The interior was in disgusting shape. All rotted and filled with rodents. They did document each piece though, maybe to recreate it at a later date in better shape? They stripped the engines out of it and the entire interior.

It moved in the middle of the night. They repainted the body and tail to the original orange and black but the wings were still not painted, they were sanded down though. I imagine its getting a good refurb to be placed somewhere back in the park. Maybe Toy story land as a toy plane...

montyz81

Original Poster
The interior was in disgusting shape. All rotted and filled with rodents. They did document each piece though, maybe to recreate it at a later date in better shape? They stripped the engines out of it and the entire interior.

It moved in the middle of the night. They repainted the body and tail to the original orange and black but the wings were still not painted, they were sanded down though. I imagine its getting a good refurb to be placed somewhere back in the park. Maybe Toy story land as a toy plane...
When was it moved and where is it now that you know all this?

montyz81

Original Poster
The plane's last flight was to WDW, were it landed on World Drive, on Oct. 8, 1992, and was subsequently put in the Back Lot Tour.
Previous to that, was it housed at a local airport or did stay in California? I am so surprised that they didn't alter the STOLport to accommodate executives coming and going. It wouldn't have been that much money to just turn the direction of the runway to not interfere with the monorail right of way. Hell they were spending over a billion on Epcot Center, another million or two (in 1980's money) to repave would have been a drop in the bucket.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wonder why they would have gutted the interior. It's small enough where you think the interior could have been maintained so that in a future scenario it could have been displayed somewhere with public access to the inside.

When an aircraft is stored for a long time it's the usual practice to remove the interior to prevent corrosion from moisture retention in the furnishings and allow easy inspection of the wiring, hydraulics etc prior to reactivation of the aircraft

montyz81

Original Poster
It's probably in one of Florida's aircraft boneyards now as parts from out of production aircraft are valuable with a capital V - but as of now t the FAA Certificate is still valid.
I'm pretty sure the Disney Company would not let that happen. This plan was instrumental in acquiring the property it now sits on and carried it's founder to said area.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Previous to that, was it housed at a local airport or did stay in California? I am so surprised that they didn't alter the STOLport to accommodate executives coming and going. It wouldn't have been that much money to just turn the direction of the runway to not interfere with the monorail right of way. Hell they were spending over a billion on Epcot Center, another million or two (in 1980's money) to repave would have been a drop in the bucket.

The Class A airspace around MCO is one reason why the STOLport was never used as an airport

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm pretty sure the Disney Company would not let that happen. This plan was instrumental in acquiring the property it now sits on and carried it's founder to said area.

Do you really think TWDC company cares about Walt any longer, They've systematically removed references to Walt and now refer to themselves as simply 'Disney' getting rid of an aircraft associated with Walt at a nice profit would further that goal. And some faceless low level property guy will take the fall for the 'clerical error' in disposing of N234MM aka Walt's Plane.

montyz81

Original Poster
Do you really think TWDC company cares about Walt any longer, They've systematically removed references to Walt and now refer to themselves as simply 'Disney' getting rid of an aircraft associated with Walt at a nice profit would further that goal. And some faceless low level property guy will take the fall for the 'clerical error' in disposing of N234MM aka Walt's Plane.
They haven't done it to COP. They even changed it to "Walt Disney's". Also Bob just used Walt's DL opening at Shanghai. I don't see them scrapping this plane.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They haven't done it to COP. They even changed it to "Walt Disney's". Also Bob just used Walt's DL opening at Shanghai. I don't see them scrapping this plane.

Check out the MOVIE's that's where this is most visible they used to say 'Walt Disney' now simply 'Disney' soon probably they will rename the company to IgerCo

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom