Where is Walt's plane? UPDATE - Coming to D23 2022

TikibirdLand

I don't really disagree, but if it comes to instant recognition millions of people will remember seeing it in DHS and it's blue and white setup. Just a fantasy as it is never coming out of retirement but I suspect that if some museum bids high enough it might just end up there.. They could donate it I suppose, the question is would they.
Another option is to cut it up and use on the Jungle Cruise. Maybe add some monkeys. And there's Walt's Plane. Looks like some Imagineers have been monkeying around with it. Hi Zach!

montyz81

Original Poster
I don't really disagree, but if it comes to instant recognition millions of people will remember seeing it in DHS and it's blue and white setup. Just a fantasy as it is never coming out of retirement but I suspect that if some museum bids high enough it might just end up there.. They could donate it I suppose, the question is would they.
I would think that if they did let it go, it would end up at the Presidio in SF. I can't see it in any other museum.

Also, I would have thought they would have sent it on its way by now. I suspect they have plans for it. The redevelopment of the entire property for the 50th has been severely cut up due to the virus. I would bet you that the plane absolutely featured in their plans for the 50th. It may be a part of the plans still, who knows.

Goofyernmost

I would think that if they did let it go, it would end up at the Presidio in SF. I can't see it in any other museum.

Also, I would have thought they would have sent it on its way by now. I suspect they have plans for it. The redevelopment of the entire property for the 50th has been severely cut up due to the virus. I would bet you that the plane absolutely featured in their plans for the 50th. It may be a part of the plans still, who knows.
That would be great if they did. They have it covered so the paint job should be in good shape. A display as you enter WDW and MK the first thing built from Walt's great dream and one of the planes from which he investigated the site. OK, great idea! As far as I'm concerned I green light that project.

Serverfarm

Maybe @marni1971 or some other insider knows if there are any plans for using the plane for the 50th.
Nope, locked in storage in WDW, and TBD with current leadership. Last 5yrs was destined for display at grand central terminal in CA (do a Google maps search, nice big green lawn set for it), but was scraped in 2018 cause no one wanted to pay for shipping/handling... I'm told.

Also, yes final flight landed on world drive. Pilot (retired, 2018) worked in Maingate, I'm told 😉

montyz81

Original Poster
Nope, locked in storage in WDW, and TBD with current leadership. Last 5yrs was destined for display at grand central terminal in CA (do a Google maps search, nice big green lawn set for it), but was scraped in 2018 cause no one wanted to pay for shipping/handling... I'm told.

Also, yes final flight landed on world drive. Pilot (retired, 2018) worked in Maingate, I'm told 😉
Maybe it should sit on the green lawn at the Presidio in San Fran?

celluloid

When was the date of the final flight? I thought it was inoperable for flight long before that.

EeyoreFan#24

FYI, some history for anyone who is interested...

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/05/take-a-flight-back-in-time-with-the-mouse/

"The airplane’s last flight took place Oct. 8, 1992, when it touched down on World Drive, west of Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and was added to The Backlot Tour for all to enjoy."

Pretty sure there's video somewhere in some special too, just cant remember which one. It was probably pretty neat to see that thing touch down.

celluloid

There is a video on youtube that I will not share here. Someone urban exploring and tresspassing broke into it to go onboard. I figured it was pretty barren those years at MGM.

GimpYancIent

Or twdc could grow some integrity and display it here? Would be a great piece at Disney springs for example. Even would look good at a reimagined TTC.
A lot of good ideas for the preservation and display of a historic / valuable artifact Disney has in its possession. However, as Disney management has demonstrated too many times they plain do not care because it is now about $$$$$. The manner the subs from 20,000 leagues were treated and disposed of is disgusting and now the Disney plane is being allowed to simply deteriorate and rot does not speak well for the current corporate executives appreciation for historic artifacts and, yes, Value!

GimpYancIent

Very interesting they in wrapped and painted it. Makes you wonder if it really is going to be used in some way for the 50th.
Something that will appeal to current management, use the cleaned up and refreshed Disney plane as a static display / exhibit (it actually should be in a museum) for the public to enjoy. Here is the part management will like, a low cost reason the fans will come and pay money to see plus purchase Disney plane merchandise. Put a few of these $$$$$$ in front of the proposal and see how fast it's jumped on.

TrippedUp

I don't think theres any mystery here. Bio's latest aerials showed the plastic covering was damaged by a storm. Looks like they removed the covering to redo it, this time with twice as much duct tape. I'd love to see it displayed, though. Maybe in that soon-to-be big hole where Primeval Whirl was.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I don't think theres any mystery here. Bio's latest aerials showed the plastic covering was damaged by a storm. Looks like they removed the covering to redo it, this time with twice as much duct tape. I'd love to see it displayed, though. Maybe in that soon-to-be big hole where Primeval Whirl was.
Why would they repaint it if they just planned to wrap it back up?

TrippedUp

Why would they repaint it if they just planned to wrap it back up?
It's been repainted since 2019 at least. Latest developments were the fence and plastic covering, then the plastic getting damaged in August. If the Fox video really is from this week and not archival footage to generate clicks, they took the torn cover off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom