"Where is the Magic?"

RonAnnArbor

Original Poster
I am writing this on the morning of my departure from WDW – bags already checked in with DME, and an hour to kill, just me, myself, and my carryon bag. I’m in my 40’s and no longer having any family, I spend a week every year at the holidays at WDW to feel like a big kid again for awhile, and to enjoy the warm weather away from Michigan.

Last night, on the bus back to POFQ after MVMCP (sorry about the initials for the uninitiated – you’ll get them after your visit) – I sat behind a harried woman, with three unruly children, and their (I guess) grandmother. At one point, the woman turned to her mother (I am guessing again) and said “I don’t see why they call this place magical.” Grandma agreed: “It’s just an amusement park.” They huffed and puffed a bit on the way back to FQ, and eventually disappeared somewhere into the complex after getting off the bus.

I took a final walk around the pool and sat in the Gazebo looking out at the river for a few minutes before finally going to bed. And it got me thinking, exactly what IS magical about WDW?

For starters, how about the first person in line at each major counter restaurant getting a gift giant blue-frosting cupcake during the current celebration?

How about the paddleboat and the train playing “Jingle Bells” on their air horns as they pass each other by chance behind Tom Sawyers Island?

How about snow that comes from rooftops, floats to the ground, and never accumulates and melts on contact – oh to have that kind of snow in Michigan…

What about the Disney Transportation captain on the boat from FQ down to DD pointing out all the hidden Mickey’s to the kids on board?

What about the firework Mickey Mouse ears that nightly light up the sky?

And then, there is turning a corner and (finally!!!) finding Donald Duck standing there for the first time in 20 years…

…and the Mickey Mouse ears on the snowman in Epcot
…and the entire restaurant staff at The Land greeting you with song and banging instruments during the morning “dash to the fast pass”
…and Santa Clause on his rooftop, with the dancing reindeer at the end of MVMCP parade

And the Seagulls on the way out of Finding Nemo the Musical shouting “Bye! Bye! Bye!” as you pass out of the theatre.

I could go on – but to that woman, and grandmother too – if you can’t find magic at WDW, then you are looking for something that no human can create for you and most likely doesn’t exist. But I feel sorry for those children who will never see it either.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Your post contains some valid suggestions which Disney could take on board (Jingle Bells is a no no as it would involve payment to the copyright holder).
As for "those poor kids" - I agree. If mum and grandma don't get it then what chance have they.

I hope your trip contained some magical moments

MiceysBestPal

Your post contains some valid suggestions which Disney could take on board (Jingle Bells is a no no as it would involve payment to the copyright holder).

I don't think these are SUGGESTIONS... I believe the OP is talking about the magic that can already be OBSERVED at WDW... if you just pay attention.

BTW, the "toot-toot" of "Jingle Bells" rhythm on an air-horn (which can only play a single tone (no melody is possible) would not require a copyright payment.

maggiegrace1

The "magic" is there you just have to believe!!

Some people just do not or do not want to believe and for them I feel sorry..

So many people are so rushed and stressed when they are there that they forget all about it....

Worrying about getting chosen for a YOMD prize or getting a front seat for a parade and rushing here and there without taking the time to really enjoy it all.

The look on your childs face when she see's the castle for the first time..or your mother crying when she see's Mickey Mouse..even though she is 54 years old and has seen him so many times before.

Getting excited because you see the Monorail as you pull into the contemporary..

Thats the magic..:)

It is what you make it to be..

wannab@dis

Some people just do not or do not want to believe and for them I feel sorry..

So many people are so rushed and stressed when they are there that they forget all about it....

Worrying about getting chosen for a YOMD prize or getting a front seat for a parade and rushing here and there without taking the time to really enjoy it all.

The look on your childs face when she see's the castle for the first time..or your mother crying when she see's Mickey Mouse..even though she is 54 years old and has seen him so many times before.

Getting excited because you see the Monorail as you pull into the contemporary..
Great post Dana!

Thats the magic..:)

It is what you make it to be..
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:
Signature worthy!

DisneyMusician2

If people can't see the magic, the difference between any Disney park and the other amusements out there, than they are really just short-sighted. It's absolutely thier problem! I still think that it is one of the only places that EVERYONE can really be a kid again. At least, it has always been that way for me.

Jessie&Buzz

Well said! I completely agree with this. The magic is there.

As for that mother and grandmother, maybe they were just tired and had to deal with the kids alone. I've been there. Of course it didn't kill the magic for me, but for some it does. It's sad that they felt that way. I hope that they find some Disney Magic soon!

makonyy15

Great thread. I believe the magic is just something, that well....happens. It's just there one day, you look around and smile and you realize you've found the magic. Nobody can make you believe, you just happen to see it for yourself. Disney isn't Houdini, no, but they create magic in numerous ways, lighting up faces of people of all ages. People believe what they want, and when they find the magic, it's with them forever.

MainSt1993

"Don't raise the bar too high, you may not get over it again!"
-wise words from an old friend

Disney, as a result of their relentless pursuit of perfection, suffers this very thing with some of their visitors. Typically people like the ones described here cannot be satisfied. They don't even need to have an idea in their head of what they expected, it's just that whatever reality is is wholly unacceptable to them. People sometimes choose odd things to get in a twist over as well.

But for people like this family, maybe they're not into details, so the expense and bother of a WDW vacation probably would never hold value for them. Not everyone gets to shop at Neiman's. Sounds like WalMart is more their flavah. :lol:

Cinderella1976

Hi Everyone!! I usually don't respond to many threads but I just couldn't help myself this time. I just returned from Disney World on December 9th and I experienced the "magic" the second we arrived at the Grand Flordian! Let me start by saying that getting from Philadelphia to Orlando on December 1st was not easy because our flight was delayed 3 hours due to bad weather. I also had a reservation for 7:00 PM @ 1900 Park Fare for my DD 5th birthday that I knew we would never make Assoon as we arrived in Orlando we had to switch Magical Express buses because the one we were on was having problems so that took about another 1/2 hour. By this time my DH,three daughters, and I were exhausted, fustrated, and hungary and disapointed because we had missed our reservation. Let me note that I was celebrating my 30th birthday and my daughter was turning 5 that week also and it was on our reservation. So when we FINALLY did check in at 9:00PM we were told that we were upgraded to the Sugar Loaf concierge level!! I was also told that we could still eat at 1900 Park Fare!! My daughter had a wonderful time and Cinderella sang Happy Birthday to her and gave her a cupcake. The next day we went downstairs to thank the person responsible for our upgrade and she gave us $500 in Disney Dollars to go shopping!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing!! The next night after dinner at the Whispering Canyon we made our way back to the MK to take the monorail back to the GF. Well we were approached by the transportation manager at the boat dock and she said because it was the Year of A Million Dreams that we could have own own private boat ride back to the GF! For some reason boat transportation was closed for the evening except for the boat that took us!! They had a red carpet for us, balloons, goody bags, they took our pictures and gave us a certificate!! We could not believe our luck (or was it the magic). The magic also continued the next day. We were at MGM waiting for Beauty and the Beast when my daughter was approached by a cast member. He said that she was choosen to be the "princess of the day" and at the end of the show she was taken up to stage and given a rose by the prince! Again, more magic the next day at Epcot - we had dinner at the Rose and Crown. We were celebrating my birthday that night and we were giving the best seat in the house for Illuminations!! Okay, maybe our birthdays had alittle something to do with some of the "surprises" but I like to believe it was the "magic" of Disney World. We've been to Disney four times and this trip was the most magical and we have so many wonderful memories. I think that the "magic" actually rubbed off on my husband because we are already talking about next year's trip!! Disney World is definately not just another amusement park because there is no other place in the world that could make you feel so special and happy (IMO). Happy Holidays Everyone!!:xmas:

magicmom

Wow Cinderella 1976 that is awsome! I hope we get some of your magic in 3 weeks when my family goes.:)

Living in Atlanta, my family gets the crazy looks a lot when we talk about going to Disney World "again". My family used to live in Ft. Lauderdale and hubby and I moved to GA in 1998. We have 3 DD and they are 6 and twin 2's. No one here can understand why my hubby and I would subject ourselves to dragging 3 kids to Disney World 2 - 3 times a year for FUN! They all have these ideas that it would be 10 times better to dump the kids somewhere and go to Mexico without them 3 times a year.

The average person just doesn't see Disney the way we see Disney. Just about every childhood memory I have was Disney World. My grandparents lived 40 minutes from the parks from the time I was about 6 through being a teenager. We went ALL The spare time we had to Disney. Now with my kids I love seeing them get crazy excited to see their favorite Princesses. We are leaving in 3 weeks and the 2 year old have mapped out where we are going first and what ride and who they are riding with. This is not "normal" according to most of our friends but it is to us! Watching them gets me teary everytime we go. I can't imagine not taking them at this age. The average person would say that 2 year olds are too young to go because they won't remember. Mine were there in August and I haven't heard the end of it from that trip yet of who they saw and what they did.

Yes it is exhausting going with 3 kids and having only 2 adults but my hubby and I know we won't be sleeping late going to Disney is not that kind of vacation. We are up before the kids most of the time because we want to get everybody going on as many rides as early as we can before the non-magical complainers flood the parks and spoil our "magical time" with the kids.

Well I have rambled on enough. Happy holidays everyone and may your next trip be as magical as ever.:wave:

P-3 FE

Magic

The Magic is in all of our hearts!!! We just have to put aside the busy, stressful world sometimes, and go to the Happiest Place on Earth! Whether we are really there or just in our imagination, that is the true Magic. This is the way that Walt intended it to be I think. Using our imaginations to bring out the Magic.

Stop for a moment while reading this---think about what makes you happy at WDW---now that is Magic!!!

Parents, remember to spread that Magic and share it with your children for they will continue the Magic and spread it to others!!!!

Have a Magical and Happy Holidays!!!!:xmas:

Cinderella1976

MagicMom I can totally relate to what you are saying. I get the same "looks" from people when we talk about going to Disney - Again. IMO it is the one of the best vacations a family can take together. I have three girls ages 10,5, and 3. I don't think you could ever be too young or too old to enjoy or experience the magic. Yes we had alot of nice and wonderful things happen to us on our last vacation, but I will never forget the look on my daughter's faces when they saw their favorite princess or character and my 5 year old daughter's first experience on Splash Mountain that she waited all year long for. Also all the beautiful shows, parades, and fireworks especially now during the holiday season. The smell of the gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian as you walked through the doors, the holiday decorations and the attention to detail, the holiday music piped through the resort at night while you walked the grounds or sitting on your balcony watching the fireworks, the nice cast members that take the time to say hello or happy birthday and go out of their way to make your vacation even more special are more reasons why I love Disney so much and will continue to take our children there every year for our family vacation.

figment1985

Hi Everyone!! I usually don't respond to many threads but I just couldn't help myself this time. I just returned from Disney World on December 9th and I experienced the "magic" the second we arrived at the Grand Flordian! Let me start by saying that getting from Philadelphia to Orlando on December 1st was not easy because our flight was delayed 3 hours due to bad weather. I also had a reservation for 7:00 PM @ 1900 Park Fare for my DD 5th birthday that I knew we would never make Assoon as we arrived in Orlando we had to switch Magical Express buses because the one we were on was having problems so that took about another 1/2 hour. By this time my DH,three daughters, and I were exhausted, fustrated, and hungary and disapointed because we had missed our reservation. Let me note that I was celebrating my 30th birthday and my daughter was turning 5 that week also and it was on our reservation. So when we FINALLY did check in at 9:00PM we were told that we were upgraded to the Sugar Loaf concierge level!! I was also told that we could still eat at 1900 Park Fare!! My daughter had a wonderful time and Cinderella sang Happy Birthday to her and gave her a cupcake. The next day we went downstairs to thank the person responsible for our upgrade and she gave us $500 in Disney Dollars to go shopping!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing!! The next night after dinner at the Whispering Canyon we made our way back to the MK to take the monorail back to the GF. Well we were approached by the transportation manager at the boat dock and she said because it was the Year of A Million Dreams that we could have own own private boat ride back to the GF! For some reason boat transportation was closed for the evening except for the boat that took us!! They had a red carpet for us, balloons, goody bags, they took our pictures and gave us a certificate!! We could not believe our luck (or was it the magic). The magic also continued the next day. We were at MGM waiting for Beauty and the Beast when my daughter was approached by a cast member. He said that she was choosen to be the "princess of the day" and at the end of the show she was taken up to stage and given a rose by the prince! Again, more magic the next day at Epcot - we had dinner at the Rose and Crown. We were celebrating my birthday that night and we were giving the best seat in the house for Illuminations!! Okay, maybe our birthdays had alittle something to do with some of the "surprises" but I like to believe it was the "magic" of Disney World. We've been to Disney four times and this trip was the most magical and we have so many wonderful memories. I think that the "magic" actually rubbed off on my husband because we are already talking about next year's trip!! Disney World is definately not just another amusement park because there is no other place in the world that could make you feel so special and happy (IMO). Happy Holidays Everyone!!:xmas:

goodness gracious you all were treated like queens!

I am telling it's my birthday everytime i go now. lol

darthjohnny

(Jingle Bells is a no no as it would involve payment to the copyright holder).

Why would Jingle Bells be copyrighted? Isn't it a traditional/public domain?

How can it be in countless movies and T.V. if it is copyrighted? Are you saying the all would have to pay to use the song?

I doubt this. I have heard Disney play Jingle Bells in the parks, resorts, and Downtown Disney. It is a classic Christmas song:xmas: .

Nansafan

I've talked before about it so I won't bore you now. I use the expression "pixie dusted". Some people (the lucky ones) have been pixie dusted and understand and appreciate the magic. Not seeing the magic at Disney is like saying "there's no such thing as Santa Claus". My baby just turned 20 and he is at WDW right now with his uncle and 2 cousins. If you ask my son does he want to go on vacation, his response is "when are we leaving for Disney?" be it Florida or California, he's ready and willing for either one. Of the 4 of them traveling now, I don't know who is the bigger kid the 20 year old, the 18 year old, the 25 year old or the 43 year old. I still get a chill when I get to the MK for the first time in a trip and also get a tear in my eye watching my baby as he walks through the gate, under the left tunnel, and heads up Main Street through the stores and off to the TTA for our very first ride. He and I and transformed to his first trip in 1993 when he saw WDW at the age of 6 and just stopped and dropped his jaw in awe.

On our frist trip, we didn't really have much "magic" happen to us, but just the whole place and experience was Magical:D .. We were there on our honeymoon and the stress of the planning our wedding and the day itself was almost too much to bear.. Our wedding day itself was fine, but once over, the stress wasn't relieved.. It didn't really happen till we walked into Port Orleans French Quarter and looked around.. It almost felt like we melted into the place.. We were just able to be free and enjoy ourselves and not worry about anything that is going on at home.. It was 11 wonderful, amazing days just doing whatever we felt like doing.. So even if nothing magical happens to you while you're there, I feel the Magic is what the World can do for you.. Some days, it's what gets me through rough days, knowing that I might be going again soon.. I don't know if I explained it very well.. Maybe there are others who understand what I feel.. :veryconfu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom