Where do the locals Eat? Orlando Restaurants

HoneyBee1991

Original Poster
So I LOVE me some disney dinning (mostly for the characters/atmosphere) but we will be off property at least half the time on our next trip.

What are the yummy (but reasonably affordable) restaurants the locals eat at? Where should we go? Any that scream, "oh my gosh you have to eat HERE when in Orlando?"

Disneyhead'71

This is a really solid list.

I will add several others.

Teak Neighborhood Grill. It is in the Metrowest neighborhood just north of Universal. It's just a really chill place with a great menu and legendary burgers.

Winter Park is full of great places but one of the most popular is The Ravenous Pig. It is the home restaurant of The Polite Pig in Disney Springs. It is a more upscale gastro pub.

4 Rivers BBQ. Several locations. It is just a counter service BBQ. The meats are nicely smoked and the sides and desserts are excellent.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

I'm not a local, but hands down, the best experience I ever had in an Orlando restaurant, and that counts WDW too, was at Roy's in Orlando, and not Roy Roger's but the one that serves Pacific Rim seafood and the like. Great food, and they made the night so special. I mentioned my 3 year old daughter was coming with us when I made the reservation and they asked a few questions about her, when we arrived they had a special printed kids menu with her name and some flying bats in the background because she was really into them at the time.

Last edited:

ddbowdoin

New England folks get their fried, broiled, steamed seafood plates at the Boston Fish House in Winter Park. Close to New England as you can get.
I can’t tell you how many nights a week I dream of moving to Orlando and then the dream turns to a nightmare when I think of losing our food up here in Boston.

still, it snowed on April 18 so I hate it here

celluloid

The issue I would say with a lot of local spots that people around like supporting are they are out of the tourist coordior of 192 or I4.

It depends on how far or much time a foodie is willing to spin. Sometimes it can take 20 minutes drive to and 20 minutes drive back to Universal or Disney property again.

Disneyhead'71

Ooooo, I thought of another all time favorite. It is up near Altamonte in Casselberry. So it's pretty far from the "Attractions Area", but The Colorado Fondue Co. is great. It is in a regular strip mall so the outside looks deceptively plain, but the inside is themed like a Colorado ski lodge. The menu is a fairly standard fondue style menu (salad>cheese fondue appetizer>meat/veggies>chocolate fondue dessert), so if you've been to a Melting Pot you get the idea. But they have a unique spin for the meat course. They have the standard boiling oil, broth, or wine. But they have a unique healthier option of cooking the meats on a 750° granite stone. The whole presentation is just a lot of fun, and sure to be a hit with any Disney fan. It is a little out of the way, but we'll worth the drive. Reservations are necessary, so plan ahead.

Here is the dining room.

p5deefd4592ac36175e980d72.jpg

And here is the hot rock. They also give you broth to cook the veggies.

b28e776acd52dfeb15532cb001021a16_featured_v2.jpg

Last edited:

Tjaden

Is the food scene mostly chains or is there a strong independent restaurant scene?
As the metro area grows it is getting better at having unique restaurants, but I'd say it's behind other cities that are as large and diverse as Orlando is in 2020. The overall diversity of the Orlando metro area has to give one hope for the dining future of the city.

D

DisneyYogini

We enjoy Market to Table in Old Winter Garden, Anthony's Pizza in Dr. Philips, Peperoncino and Fresco's both in Dr. Philips.

BASS

Let me second Ravenous Pig. I usually don't mention it when lists are exchanged here because I think it can be a 30-45 minute drive from the Disney "campus" depending on where you're at, but if you're a foodie, it's worth it.

I had seen it referenced here on occasion over the years but had not frequented it because of the distance. Coincidentally, I had a business trip to Winter Park last year and my hotel ended up a stone's throw away from the restaurant. It was FANTASTIC. I highly recommend it if you're up for the drive. It's a really hip gastropub with an emphasis on charcuterie and "off" cuts. Think "nose to tail" cuisine. The drinks are really good too. The menu changes frequently . . . I had a head cheese croquette that was simply amazing. I still remember it. If I recall correctly, they also made a carrot top pesto (again, a frequently discarded item) that was really good too. Really cool, unique spot if you're up for something different than the usual.

JaxFLBear

Let me second Ravenous Pig. I usually don't mention it when lists are exchanged here because I think it can be a 30-45 minute drive from the Disney "campus" depending on where you're at, but if you're a foodie, it's worth it.
The Polite Pig at Disney Springs is run by the same owners.

Lilofan

For the true old Florida cracker experience there is a long time dining establishment called The Catfish Place in St Cloud approx 25 min from Disney. Some of the unique food items they serve are fried gator, frog legs, and turtle soup. It's actually quite tasty and a real locals place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom