Where do Disney Fireworks come from???

woofboy111

Original Poster
Does anyone know where disney gets all of those fireworks that they use from? Do they buy them from some other company (that seems like it may get expensive!)? Do they make the fireworks theirselves in some factory on Disney property?

Just wondering, and hopefully someone will come up with an answer!

DisneyFreak

Last I heard (1993) each night's fireworks display at MK cost Disney on average of $50,000 to $60,000 a night. I don't believe Disney makes their own.

woofboy111

Original Poster
But could that be if they were going to buy them? Doing that every night, at three parks seems like it my get a bit expensive!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
They dont make their own. They buy them from various sources. For Epcot, they have at least 2 pyro compounds where they store them - 1 at the park behind china, the other is out at orlando airport. Each week they drive out there and pick up enough for the next weeks performances.

DisJosh

Originally posted by wdwmagic
They dont make their own. They buy them from various sources. For Epcot, they have at least 2 pyro compounds where they store them - 1 at the park behind china, the other is out at orlando airport. Each week they drive out there and pick up enough for the next weeks performances.

I hope they dont have one of those designated smoking sections in china! We might have an early showing of Illuminations!

DisneyWorldGuru

WDW buys fireworks in bulk from many diff. companys around the world. Walt Disney Enter. has a crew of about 20 CM's who are Pyro. Tech. who run the fireworks. (Sometimes you will see them walking "on stage" wearing a WDW CM shirt with fireworks on it.) I have seen the fireworks area at MK a few years back and got to see how they prepare for a show. They start they day by getting the fireworks from a secure location and bring them to the fireworks area. They then lower the shells into the tubes and wrap the tubes in a silver material. The fireworks are then set off that night from a fireproof booth a few yards from the "launch pad". A tech. turns a key on a board and pushes a button to start the show which is computer programed to be in time with the soundtrack. The board also has an "all-clear" button that they push at the end to clear out all remaining shells.

Also, at world showcase the rails around the lake are there to keep you safe. In 1997 I wanted to get a better picture of the fireworks so I hopped over the fence to go onto the grass and a firework came out of a tube 2 feet from where I was sitting. It scared the out of me!!! I will never do that again.

AdLibSean

I've actually read somewhere that majority of Disney patents comes from fireworks and or the technology of. I assume they make back much of the $ back on that. PLus I just realized something. While not much compared to other people, ME-just one person,- am spending up to 1,200 to visit WDW this summer for 5 days. MULTIPLY that by the MILLIONS of people who vist every year, and I think that the money it costs to run the firework shows each night is neither here nor there. And my last point, to your comment about the seawall launchers at Epcot for RoE, I've actually heard of a man who did the same thing you did, and was hurt pretty bad.

DisneyCP2000

I was there 2 years ago when they had a firework convention. They set up their "show" in the 7 seas lagoon and the performance lasted 20 minutes or so. Supposedly is was a show with all the works to show Disney what they had. I think a couple of companies held thier shows to see if they could get the contract. I was working in Epcot at the time, but my roomate who drove the monorail, got to see it. He said it was a spectacular sight!

TURKEY

I know that Disney developed a couple of the colors of their fireworks and maybe their patterns as well.

There is no way that a smoker in China could set the fireworks off unless he torched the entire place in gasoline.

If something were to happen though, it would be a nice little explosion. The fireworks aren't the only things back behind China. :lol:

DCA Fan

They buy them from different sources. I think that Believe at DL costs $30,000-40,000 per night, and Illuminations is higher.

DisneyWorldGuru

Originally posted by DisneyCP2000
How ironic is that! They store the fireworks/barges way "behind" the China pavilion:lol: I've never noticed that :lol:

Well I never noticed the shell sitting next to me when I hopped the fence.:lol:

DisneyCP2000

There's a whole load of stuff that you'd never notice at night! I've seen a couple of people sit on the rocks in Canada. Luckily cast members told em to get down, cause a minute after she told em to get off (politley of course :) ) speakers popped up from the rocks.

A friend told me that her brother got hit in the head with a firework. It was the initial firework that they shoot out of UK. It was a dud and landed the roof of the building, rolled off the building and landed on his head. He was okay, and got a crap load of gifts from Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom